PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out the clay step

FMINUS
05-25-2007, 03:45 PM
I was thinking about something, would claying be needed if the car is going to be polished? The polishing w a DA should remove any contaminates right?

supercharged
05-25-2007, 03:52 PM
I was thinking about something, would claying be needed if the car is going to be polished? The polishing w a DA should remove any contaminates right?
No, polishing usually will not remove bonded contaminents, unless you are working with a rotary buffer, and going to remove a lot of clearcoat.
Claying is still necessary, regardless of wheather you are going to polish or not.

Nimble
05-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Always clay first, you don't want to take sandpaper like particles to your surface do you?

FMINUS
05-25-2007, 04:46 PM
hmm makes sense. Thanks again guys

alban61
05-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Always clay first, you don't want to take sandpaper like particles to your surface do you?
:iagree: Claying will "lift" the bonded contaminants from the surface of your car. Without claying, you'll be grinding it into your finish.

Truls
05-25-2007, 05:06 PM
If you skip claying you will need a super strong degreaser to remove those "dots" on/in the paint.
We got something here caled "Prickbort", that removes the "dots" with alcohol, but i prefer claying myself, less hars on the paint.

ScottB
05-25-2007, 06:41 PM
polish grinds into, and clay pulls out of .... I'd do both personally.