PDA

View Full Version : Detailing my truck for the first time this week

lee358
05-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Hey guys so ive been reading for a while and buying and buying and buying from autogeek and im finally ready to use my gg 6in da. My question is this, im going to be doing a detail on my storm gray nissan frontier its honestly not in the worst condition. That being said i was going to wash 2bm, clay, wash, then use mothers cleaner wax with a white pad. Then use colonite 845 as a finishing wax. Or do you guys think m105/205 would do me better? the truck has not been detailed since i bought it in 2008. I know pictures would be helpful but it is raining today.

c8n
05-15-2013, 10:16 AM
That would depend on the condition and correctability of the paint. If your paint is soft and the defects light, AIO should do the job. But if you have hard paint and severe defects, you would go the M105/M205 route.

If your car has not been detailed since 08... clay will be your best friend and be prepared to spend some time claying as you will be shocked at all the junk it will pick up.

lee358
05-15-2013, 10:40 AM
That would depend on the condition and correctability of the paint. If your paint is soft and the defects light, AIO should do the job. But if you have hard paint and severe defects, you would go the M105/M205 route.

If your car has not been detailed since 08... clay will be your best friend and be prepared to spend some time claying as you will be shocked at all the junk it will pick up.

I should also add to that ironx.. I was going to save it for another detail but your right this hasnt been done since 2008 so the clay will take forver.

Dr_Pain
05-15-2013, 10:46 AM
Get your truck inside a dark garage and take a high intensity light to it and you may change your mind about the polishing.

If you are trying to save some time I would suggest a medium grit polishing compound on a yellow or white pad (like the Menzerna 2500) which finishes LSP ready.

hernandez.art13
05-15-2013, 10:48 AM
I like to go look at the car in person when it is raining. That is the true wet look. If 100% paint correction is done. That is how it will look.

Evan.J
05-15-2013, 10:49 AM
I should also add to that ironx.. I was going to save it for another detail but your right this hasnt been done since 2008 so the clay will take forver.

Yes most definitely do the ironx on the same day. As far as your process everything looks good and your cleaner wax will remove light swirls but nothing more. If you should want more correction then 105 might be an option. I would go with what you have now and see your results.

dorkiedoode
05-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Remember start with less aggressive first and go from there.

hernandez.art13
05-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Get your truck inside a dark garage and take a high intensity light to it and you may change your mind about the polishing.

If you are trying to save some time I would suggest a medium grit polishing compound on a yellow or white pad (like the Menzerna 2500) which finishes LSP ready.

http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-polish-po203.html

It does sound amazing... Especially because I have read so many great reviews on it.

Still don't know the proper wording. A 2 step is compound then polish?
This Menzerna says it will do 2 steps in 1 step? If so... Get it.

Bunky
05-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Given the age, a finishing polish like M205 would be a good candidate to clean up the paint somewhat but it always best to do a test spot first. This is a good way to refine your polishing technique and insure you get the results you want. If you cannot get the test spot right, do not continue polishing the car.

lee358
05-15-2013, 03:38 PM

Here are a few pictures in the sun and just a few random scratches i have on the sides of the truck.

MarkD51
05-15-2013, 03:51 PM

You are wise to consider the Iron-X.

I used Iron-X for the very first time on my 1997 Tahoe on Sunday. I did only the hood, and roof for now.

To tell you folks that I was flabbergasted is a gross understatement! The first words out of my mouth were OMG! I was seeing a "sea of purple"!

While my truck has been clayed a number of times over the years, it's never been Iron-X'ed.

There's the good possibility that the Iron-X is now pulling out what's been imbedded in the paint since the vehicle was built, and shipped.
For sure, Iron-X will now always be in my stable of detailing goods.

While Iron-X will help keep your clay a bit cleaner, you will still need to clay, to remove everything else that the Iron-X won't.

Let the "Plastic Baggie Test" be your most imprtant guide, not just your eyes, or bare hands. When you have achieved a glass-like feel on every square inch of paint after Iron-X, and Claying, you are now ready to go onto your following personal choices of polish, and protective products.

lee358
05-15-2013, 06:00 PM

lee358
05-15-2013, 08:41 PM
So i dont have enough light to tell if im actually removing scratches but i did notice a few new scratches after using 205 on a white pad... And then for a part with some bad scratches i used 205 with a orange pad im just very nervous doing this.