PDA

View Full Version : Is claying necessary?

supra90
05-15-2013, 03:22 AM
Just wondering, if you have some minor defects that can be wetsanded out polished out with megs and buffer, is claying a panel necessary? I know it takes out contaminants. But a good soapy washing on a car that does not have really much dirt and barely driven? I don't have any contaminants other than wax. I have never clayed. I guess it helps to lubricate a surface you are working on it. But when you use soapy water with wetsand aren't you lubricating the area? I am just wondering if claying is better for defect removal, or whether it is better for an overall detail when you are polishing, waxing, and want to make the car look it's best.
So is claying used more for defect removal or after washing a car and doing a full detail? Thanks

mpkav
05-15-2013, 04:19 AM
I can't answer all your questions but I used clay for the first time last fall. I was absolutely amazed at the contaminants it took off the car. There is a lot you can't see or even feel for that matter. I recommend using clay if you are going to spend a day on a full detail. It doesn't take very long and is pretty beneficial!!

Mach1USMC
05-15-2013, 04:26 AM
My take is it's not a "full detail" without clay. It's really this simple, if your car passes the baggy test after you do a thorough wash then you don't need to clay. If your car doesn't pass the baggy test you need to clay. Now do you WANT to clay- that's an entirely different question.

To answer your other question, clay decontaminates paint, nothing more. To remove defects you need to either wet sand, compound, polish etc depending on the extent and severity of the condition of the paint.

lawrenceSA
05-15-2013, 05:39 AM
I agree that passing the baggie test should be the only reason for you not to clay.

There are contaminants on your paint that you will not see and if you do not remove them first, surely your run the risk of trapping a contaminant between the paint and your sanding paper, thus dragging it across the paint making a deep scratch, which would require more sanding to remove.

You may therefore just make more work for yourself and risk installing a deep RID that you may not be able to safely remove, just to have saved on claying.

IMO claying is a step not worth skimping on....

dooyaunastan
05-15-2013, 05:41 AM
Just wondering, if you have some minor defects that can be wetsanded out polished out with megs and buffer, is claying a panel necessary? I know it takes out contaminants. But a good soapy washing on a car that does not have really much dirt and barely driven? I don't have any contaminants other than wax. I have never clayed. I guess it helps to lubricate a surface you are working on it. But when you use soapy water with wetsand aren't you lubricating the area? I am just wondering if claying is better for defect removal, or whether it is better for an overall detail when you are polishing, waxing, and want to make the car look it's best.
So is claying used more for defect removal or after washing a car and doing a full detail? Thanks

If the vehicle has never been clayed before, you'll want to clay it. Trust me, you'll have contaminates, airborne particles ranging from dust to pollen to iron fallout will find it's way to your car's finish, and it's best to remove these contaminates as thoroughly as possible before you begin machine polishing. Clay's purpose is contaminate removal, not defect removal. Defect removal occurs during the polishing stages.

GenesisCoupe
05-15-2013, 06:25 AM
I just clayed a 2008 Lexus yesterday which i detail every season. Last clay i did on the car was early fall of 2012. I had to fold the clay twice because the surface was so dirty after a Chicago winter. The clay made the paint very smooth and perfect to apply CG Glossworkz Glaze using a Porter Cable. Easy on, easy off.

I have never done the baggy test, actually. My method is to wash the car, dry and then feel the paint with my fingers in different areas of the car (find a spot where there are no paint chips) and check for roughness. On this particular car i did yesterday the paint for a bit rough, therefore it needed the clay.

lawrenceSA
05-15-2013, 06:40 AM
In my experience, your naked hand will never be able to feel all the contamination as you soft skin conforms to the lumps and bumps....

When your hand is in the 'bag' it tends to amplify the feel of the contamination and thus I have many a time felt paint with my bare hand that feels smooth, only to re-feel with a bag on my hand and then discover a lot of contamination....

BillE
05-15-2013, 06:46 AM
One nice thing about clay is that it does no harm and is a very simple process. Yea, it may add a bit of time to the job...but oh so worth it.

Bill

GenesisCoupe
05-15-2013, 07:02 AM
In my experience, your naked hand will never be able to feel all the contamination as you soft skin conforms to the lumps and bumps....

When your hand is in the 'bag' it tends to amplify the feel of the contamination and thus I have many a time felt paint with my bare hand that feels smooth, only to re-feel with a bag on my hand and then discover a lot of contamination....

Hmm..i'll give it a shot on my next vehicle, thanks!

One nice thing about clay is that it does no harm and is a very simple process. Yea, it may add a bit of time to the job...but oh so worth it.

Bill

Totally agree. It took me about an hour to clay a vehicle yesterday, some take up to 2 hours depending on size and condition. Not too bad.

c8n
05-15-2013, 08:16 AM
I don't have any experience with wetsanding but I am guessing if you are wetsanding, claying might not be that important but i highly doubt you will wetsand the entire car.

Clay takes off those nasty little crap that bonds to your paint that a regular wash will have no effect on. For example, road paint. Perhaps polishing will take them off but think about it. That paint has dried and its hard. Imagine that gets stuck on your pad while polishing. You are going to end up with scratches where ever your pad touched.

Be kind to your paint and clay. :)