PDA

View Full Version : Business has picked up ALOT

Pages : [1] 2

T3 AutoDetails
05-15-2013, 12:24 AM
Hey AG'ers, Well business has picked up a lot for me out of nowhere... I am now full time and booked back a couple weeks that I took a steep dive from PT too FT and was not even scared doing it.

I live in a market where there are no true professionals (one guy but I won't even post his weebly site because it will make a lot of you cringe :( with the before and after shots/incorrect spelling and detailing processes. Also there are 2 dealers that do some detail work but I have heard personal nightmares from the last 4 clients about these dealers making the damage worst not better (so no real correction done of any kind.)

I went through Vista Print and got a site up along with some matching business cards and 2 shirts/1 polo. Shirts for working and the polo for walking into businesses and explaining what it is I do. For VP stuff and only a population of about 100k with smaller towns around it is working out great. I picked up 2 details today 2 dealers overflow (they were happy I was in business) and continue to get calls. I have always done my girlfriends car my car and did some friends and her family within the past month. I think the word of mouth phrase hit and is just starting to sky rocket.....I literally had to put my time in at my job 2 weeks ago.

I have made more in the last 2 weeks having fun detailing (while still keeping my quality at the best of my know how) and interacting with customers and their family when im finished has been great. I posted awhile back that I did a job and the guy was so happy he doubled my price and threw in a nice chunk for a tip! I took 100% that money and threw it back in for more supplies and had a huge order with AG. I had purchased the mytee firebird and begin learning to use it properly and ever since have been making interiors look fantastic and that's the majority of calls I have been getting.

Since then I have done 2 Suvs,5 cars,2 trucks and have a jeep grand Cherokee too finish tomo. Thing is I need some help with this webpage in all honesty. By the time I get home at night i'm so tired from giving it my all that trying to put pics up,wash my towels and tools and refill bottles I seem too have no time at all and when I do get a second I just want to spend some time with my girlfriend (only a couple hours a day right now in the later parts of the night 8-10pm). So i'm going to put my webpage up for you guys to check out and give me some advice. It's greatly appreciated and I even want to hear the "constructive criticism" as I don't get offended easy at all.

The problem i'm having difficulties with the most are a pricing menu (I have always just went to the customers house and did a bid type deal) and did everything I knew how to do and I have never had problems or complaints about pricing.

I'm open for everything thanks for taking the time reading this long winded post. I just want to be the best detailer/person people turn too for their auto care needs.

Here's the site T3 Auto Detailing - Home - Sioux Falls, SD (http://www.t3autodetailing.com) and again I have the matching cards and a few shirts. I don't think it's going to be my forever logo lol but it works for now in a hurry.

T3 AutoDetails
05-15-2013, 12:27 AM
Oh and the other thing i'm curious about is when do you guys find the time for all the pics? I try and take them but half the time I forget because i'm nose deep on an interior or exterior or just forget...Crazy I know but the truth. Then when I do get some I think they look like crap (fuzzy or not the same look) before and after angles. Thanks again.

Pureshine
05-15-2013, 12:57 AM
I don't like the build your own package part most people won't now what to put in there and there is no pricing to figure out what the cost is. I think you should at least have a stand pricing and people could at to that would be better. In services there is nothing to look at most people want to know what your offering.

Spiney
05-15-2013, 01:24 AM
Just a quick reply. On my iPhone the services don't show up. Many people today will be accessing your site on a mobile device. Move the services from the bottom of the list to nearer the top, that's what I as a potential customer is most interested in. I would want to see more pictures from a variety of vehicles.

One nit pick on the picture of the car seats it's standard procedure to expect to see the before 1st, then the after. Having them reversed was a bit confusing to me.

Good luck with your continued success.

AutowerxDetailing
05-15-2013, 02:25 AM
Because you wanted honest and constructive advice on the site:

1. Put your picture in the about me section.
2. Put a picture of the best car you have done (or even a generic picture of a sweet car) on the home page.
3. Divide the services better. Even if you just put a line break between each one. Perhaps it is because I am incredibly tired right now (I'm waiting for a video to encode) but I had a hard time figuring out what went with what.

Regarding getting good before and after pics. I mostly use my cell phone for normal daily drivers to snap a quick before and after shot here and there. The more cars you do you will get to know the "money shots" to show a big turn around from start to finish. Great before/after opportunities are usually: gas door area, interior carpets (especially if many spills), lighter color leather seats, paint 50/50's (obviously), and headlight restos. Oh, and wheels. Can't forget the wheels LOL.

Video's done, gotta go... Good luck!

T3 AutoDetails
05-15-2013, 02:36 AM
Thanks guys, I was making the services part which was why it was blank, I'm done with it for tonight and will make more changes after tomo's detail.

As far as the seat shot, It was in a shop and I just happened to like the way it turned out but didn't really think to switch them around it was just the order I started the work and snapped the shot after the first seat was done.

Also I have been trying how to figure out how to move the "services" part up but don't see the option for it (there was one in the very start of the tutorial). Thanks again for all the replies. I have had so much help on this site from so many (Todd,Dave Davis,Nicholas with the time chart, Tusscora Dave, Cardaddy aka Tony) All you guys are great but special thanks to those guys and the rest of the Ag'ers who have helped me along the way. Without you guys I wouldn't be where i'm at today on this journey to success. :P

Pureshine
05-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys, I was making the services part which was why it was blank, I'm done with it for tonight and will make more changes after tomo's detail.

As far as the seat shot, It was in a shop and I just happened to like the way it turned out but didn't really think to switch them around it was just the order I started the work and snapped the shot after the first seat was done.

Also I have been trying how to figure out how to move the "services" part up but don't see the option for it (there was one in the very start of the tutorial). Thanks again for all the replies. I have had so much help on this site from so many (Todd,Dave Davis,Nicholas with the time chart, Tusscora Dave, Cardaddy aka Tony) All you guys are great but special thanks to those guys and the rest of the Ag'ers who have helped me along the way. Without you guys I wouldn't be where i'm at today on this journey to success. :P

Hey Tory glad to see your business going great always good to see another quality detailer succeeding at what he loves todo.

Mike Calloway
05-15-2013, 10:49 AM
Try switching your prices around, putting the highest first and the lowest last. That should lead people to get higher packages because they are sold on the higher packages before they get to the lower one and not the other way around.

Hope that helps!

andy2485
05-15-2013, 11:22 PM
regarding posting your work. I would have a someone shadow you with a camera, maybe even video camera and take shots while you work on a car. I think people like to you the person actually working. helps build trust. See if a friend or if you can rent a nice cannon or something too. better quality always helps.

Detailing by M
05-15-2013, 11:36 PM
on my site I only have what I can do. no menus or anything like that.
When I get a call I quote my average price because I can't see there car. I tell them it's an "over the phone quote". When I get there I give the actual quote or work with what they want to spend and we go from there.
My customers love my site and tell me often. What works for them is my gallery, reviews and links.
It works for me. I like to keep things simple. Pictures and reviews is what my customers like.

T3 AutoDetails
05-16-2013, 01:02 AM
on my site I only have what I can do. no menus or anything like that.
When I get a call I quote my average price because I can't see there car. I tell them it's an "over the phone quote". When I get there I give the actual quote or work with what they want to spend and we go from there.
My customers love my site and tell me often. What works for them is my gallery, reviews and links.
It works for me. I like to keep things simple. Pictures and reviews is what my customers like.

Everything on my site I can do. I was thinking about putting a FAQ type deal on there to help educate customers with some of the most common question I get, For example everyone freaks out when I tell them I use "waterless or Rinseless" wash. So it would be simple yet effective if I could shorten up some of my response.

I always tend to get into the scientific end of things (most people enjoy) and it also adds a lot of professionalism. I just don't want that all on my webpage. I have read a lot about keeping it simple and in today's day and age people want direct and too the point. Not a book when they visit a site. It's a thought but still up in the air. I went and bought a digital (for now) camera until I can afford better and upgrade.

Nick E
05-16-2013, 09:00 AM
Tory- Looks like you have a good start so far, and lots of great advice given by other folks so far. When I looked at your site I am looking at is a customer would look at it - try to put yourself in their shoes.

Here were some of my thoughts:
-I agree with earlier posters that pics & reviews are really what I'm looking for along with pricing info and simple explanations of the packages.

-Get the best photos you can of a cool car with great composition for your home page or the best looking car you've detailed. Darker or brighter colors tend to stand out more i.e. Black, Red, Blue, Yellow, etc. White, beige, silver, gray are difficult to make look amazing in a photo!

-IMHO wouldn't bother going into detail explaining all of your methods- for instance you mentioned a hand wash and dry using a two bucket method. Eliminate talking about the two bucket method. Most customers don't need/want to know the details of how you get it done. They want to know and trust you as a professional and your work should speak for itself. They know a hand wash and dry is a good thing, but beyond that their eyes are glazing over or they're skimming your website. Of course there will always be gear heads and car buffs that want to talk shop with you - feel free to do that with them.

-Regarding your time commitment, you will simply need to schedule and make time for all of the background work you need to get done (restocking, washing etc). If you need 1 hour per day for that work plan ahead the day before when you're going to do that.

When you're doing all that work try to multi task - eg - put towels in the wash and go fill bottles while their washing (Ok that was an easy example :dblthumb2: )

Couple other thoughts / suggestions on the time management portion.
-If you're overbooking yourself with jobs you won't really leave time for the rest of the work necessary background work you have to do. (Sorta sounds like where you're at now with getting your business running, and it may need to stay this way for some time!)
-BUT, If you build up a large inventory of supplies then perhaps you can overbook yourself for the week (Wednesday mornings for example) and then take half of one day a week to reload, do laundry, etc. Experiment and find something that works for you! Personally I find that having a regular routine works best for me across the board in life (whether it's working out, grocery shopping or whatever). This seems to come easily to must of us semi-OCD detailers.
*Obviously though your rigid schedule has to be balanced with a certain amount of flexibility. :xyxthumbs:

*I'm not a professional detailer, but like most people I'm always trying to multi-task and work against time constraints. Maybe some of the other pros here can give advice on this crucial component?

Keep up the great work, there is no replacement for hard work and excellent customer service!
:cruisin:

VP Mark
05-16-2013, 09:06 AM
It sounds like you have a good problem! I'm in almost the exact same boat you are in. I've been working from 8a until 8p most days the last couple of weeks, but I simply refuse to turn down work as long as I can work it in somehow. I'm scheduling a day off every other week (other than Sundays) so that I can avoid burnout.

As long as I can make sure that I stay organized, the work quality stays high, and that I'm meeting the needs of my clients, doing financial reports, cleaning my desk, and taking care of unimportant business tasks will just have to wait until I slow down a bit.

This is a business, making money is the most important part. :)

statusdetailing
05-16-2013, 09:13 AM
I'll admit i dont have the best photos but they are pretty decent. Im currently working on getting better
50/50 shots. I started getting better pics when i paid a friend photographer to take a few shots as i work. Find a friend. I pay $40 (very low) to get a few good shots

statusdetailing
05-16-2013, 09:15 AM
Also i have to take one or two days off per week or i start getting really sore hands, rwndonitis, sore back etc. Im 28 and in good shape. Detailing full time is very hard