PDA

View Full Version : AHHH!! Menzerna 87MC or 85MU????

Whitethunder46
05-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Ok, so I'm getting Menzerna's Cerami-Clear polishes, PO106FF and PO83Q. I want to also get either one of the finishing polishes (87MC or 85MU), but I am confused on each. Which is the finer one? Which gives a better gloss?

I also have the entire Optimum line, so which one has less cut than OP, if any?

Can someone compare 87MC and 85MU to OP???

Thanks guys. Which Menzerna finishing polish do you recommend for rotary work?

Nimble
05-25-2007, 02:43 PM
I haven't tried either of those Mnz polishes but I can assure you they are finer than OP. Al recommended me to get the micro polish, not the final polish, that it will up the gloss a notch.

I gotta ask though, you know that these cannot be used outside in the sun right? That's the biggest bummer for me, and why I mainly have to stick to optimum polishes on my customer cars. Unless they drop off at my house, then I could use the Mnz stuff.

Nimble
05-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Oh, and one more thing, the AG site lists all (3) 106ff, 87mc, and 85u as the same final polishes capable of removing 2500 grit scratches. So with you already dropping the coin on 106ff, I'd skip both the 87mc and 85u, the 106ff i hear finishes down insane with even a white pol pad.....especially now that you have a rotary. hehe ;)

EDIT: With the above said though, I do realize that 106ff has a greater ability to remove marring than 87mc and 85u, but the nano polish finished nicer, so you get the best of both worlds, great initial cut and great finishing. Have I talked you into a gallon of 106ff yet? lol

orngez
05-25-2007, 03:14 PM
nimble is right in that menzerna is very environment dependant....i luck out that i have a huge two car garage and shady driveway to work in...also 106ff is the best bang for your buck..does a great job correcting most paint problems...and finishes amazing...its like pb ssr2.5...but WAY better....you can use it with an orange pad if you need heavier cut out of it..and then use the same polish with a polishing/finishing pad to get that super menzerna finish....i find it an unecessary step to finish 106ff with another finishing polish...you can still get the micro if you want...i would just recommend it for your personal ride...no need for it on a clients vehicle...

greg'sgoat
05-25-2007, 03:15 PM
Well, I just bought all 4. The 87MC has a higher gloss and less cut. 1.5 (out of 5) cut and 4 gloss. the 85U has more cut 3.5 cut and 3 gloss.

Truls
05-25-2007, 03:35 PM
PO 106 FF: cut 2.5, gloss 5
PO 85U: cut 3, gloss 4

(5=high)

I dont find PO 87MC in the German list

Al-53
05-25-2007, 03:42 PM
The 87MC is thier finest grit....sorta like 85RD..but not quite..85RD is the finest grit of the ceramic polish ...to me the 106FF if worked right does it all....87MC MAY bust the gloss up just a bit more...87MC is good for if you just have to do a lite polish on a car with little correction needed....

Remember Super IP and 106FF cut fast especially with a rotary...so check your work often....Super IP will cut faster than hyper compound and give a better gloss factor....I used both and SIP is above OHC as far as after looks and performance

Now if you want to work in the sun..just add a drop of Opt Polish on the pad...it keeps it going a little longer..as long as the paint surface is not 120+ degrees.....Do NOT use XMT pad lube it will gum it up....some Menz does not play well with XMT.....

Al

Nimble
05-25-2007, 04:08 PM
Thanks orangez and al, appreciate the added info, I've only used the regualr plain jane IP haha. I just picked Al's and other's brains recently and remember stuff pretty well, so I was trying to help out Greg too. ;) Have a nice holiday weekend fellas!

Nimble
05-25-2007, 04:11 PM
PO 106 FF: cut 2.5, gloss 5
PO 85U: cut 3, gloss 4

(5=high)

I dont find PO 87MC in the German list

Because, as al told me, it (87MC) is the replacement for the well reknowned PO85 RD.

Also, that cut number *may* be a bit misleading, as the 85U is not made for harder clears like the 106FF is. Thus, real world testing has proven that the 106FF has a great cut than the final polish 2 (85U).

Al-53
05-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Because, as al told me, it (87MC) is the replacement for the well reknowned PO85 RD.

Also, that cut number *may* be a bit misleading, as the 85U is not made for harder clears like the 106FF is. Thus, real world testing has proven that the 106FF has a great cut than the final polish 2 (85U).

87MC is not the replacement for 85RD,,85Rd is a nano polish for ceramic Clears...87MC is not a nano polish...

here is some info I got from Menz last year back when I researched the polishes...cause 87MC was available here and not 85RD...

Micro Polish uses the highest quality finely milled powder to eliminate all haze, swirls, and holograms on paint
systems. Contains no fillers or glazing material to achieve a permanent ultra high gloss surface quality.
Ref. PO87MC (AKA FPII)<<<<<<FPII is what it is.....they change number alot ..it is Menz USA that does the product ID changes.....

the 85RD is 50.00 a litre....85RD has a different milled abrasive...same as 106ff...they both are nano polishes

alban61
05-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Since the intro of Menzerna at AG, I've been reading every post/thread about it! I know how you feel, Whitethunder46!! My brain is overloaded with Menzerna and I keep going back and forth about what to order. Thanks Al-53 about the Menz/OP tip!! Because until now, I wasn't sure if I could use Menz, due to the fact that both vehicles sit 24/7 outdoors.
On the AG product site, it shows Menz used with either CCS or Edge pads. I only have the regular LC pads and PC 7424. I'm thinking that would be okay? Or do I need to order CCS pads?
I was thinking of ordering the Intro Kit.....PO91E(IP), PO85U(FP). Or should I go with Whitethunder and try SIP, PO87MC? Decisions! Decisions!

ASPHALT ROCKET
05-25-2007, 05:29 PM
I have used both types of pads and feel the lc pads produce better results
with the pc or rotary. i would get the sip and 106 and that should cover all
your needs.

Whitethunder46
05-25-2007, 06:31 PM
OK, thanks for everyone's help, especially Al. You are now my go to guy for DG AND Menzerna!! haha

I think I'm just going to stick w/ 106FF and super intensive polish for now. The main reason I want them is for cerami-clears, but since I knew 106FF was very pad dependant, I was wondering what kind of final touch it gives.
Also thanks for stating about the sun and OP droppings tip, I did not know this.

I have also heard a lot that Menzerna does not work too well w/ Edge 2000 pads because of their open pore design. Now, I'm sure they work, just maybe not as well as LC's CCS pads.

I think I'm going to order a few CCS 6.5" pads and a 4.75" flexible backing plate.
OR should I get the 7.5" pads and the 6" backing plate??

I'm leaning towards the smaller pads since I can use it on the PC then as well, I'll just need the PC backing plate. This sound like a good plan?

What CCS pads should I have to do polsihing? I don't need anything soft (I have white and blue Edge pads for that) I just want some that are good for polishing. I'm thinking Yellow, Orange, Green, and White???

Nimble
05-25-2007, 06:50 PM
I'd go 6.5" ccs with the 5" flex bp. And Al will tell you to stick with green, white, and blue for both the PO 83Q and 106FF, because they both cut well even without an aggressive pad. IIRC, he mentioned that he had some luck with the green ccs pad and the 106FF both removing some nice marring as well as finishing nicely at the same time. Can't beat that. How's business Greg?