PDA

View Full Version : Clay and polish a 'must' before waxing/sealing?

jlabs12
05-14-2013, 04:05 PM
I have been reading just about every article I can on AG so I can get deeper into detailing my own car and I was wondering if it is absolutely necessary to clay and/or polish the paint before putting any type of protective wax/sealant on? I am still building my arsenal and plan on doing a full decon in the near future, but until then what product(s) should I be using to protect the paint? I have some WG Deep Gloss Srpitz Sealant, but noticed it says it is intended to be used on an oxidation free surface, and further goes on to recommend polishing and claying prior to use. I am not expecting incredible results without first claying/polishing the paint, but just want to make sure I am protecting it until I can do a more thorough detail. Thanks in advance!

cleanmycorolla
05-14-2013, 04:09 PM
IMO you're better off not wasting the product. Putting a wax or sealant on on surface not free of debris and embedded crap, it just wont bond to the surface, and you'll have no protection. It will look nice for a week maybe, after that who knows. Best to always properly prep a surface, its what gives 99% of the look.

parkerslade
05-14-2013, 04:13 PM
IMO you're better off not wasting the product. Putting a wax or sealant on on surface not free of debris and embedded crap, it just wont bond to the surface, and you'll have no protection. It will look nice for a week maybe, after that who knows. Best to always properly prep a surface, its what gives 99% of the look.

:iagree:

jlabs12
05-14-2013, 04:21 PM

What would you recommend I do, or what product should I use in the meantime (just to give some level of protection) until I can do a full decontamination and detail?

Thanks for the responses by the way.

theblob640
05-14-2013, 04:50 PM
What would you recommend I do, or what product should I use in the meantime (just to give some level of protection) until I can do a full decontamination and detail?

Thanks for the responses by the way.

What I did on my Bee before I clayed/polished/sealed it was apply a layer of liquid wax then after every wash I would just use a spray wax after drying the car just to give it that protection. Might not even need the liquid wax and just go straight to a spray wax after every wash. Some protection is better than none, even if it won't last that long.

dorkiedoode
05-14-2013, 04:53 PM
You do nothing. Just wash and try not to scratch the paint. Hopefully it's not too long for you to gather up everything you need. Unless you got product to waste then ill throw on anything. A week of protection is still a week.

swanicyouth
05-14-2013, 06:07 PM
You can wax your car without polishing and claying first, I did it for years before I knew better. It may not as as good or last as long.

Detailing by M
05-14-2013, 11:59 PM
CLAY! Always Clay!
Clay is one of the best inventions in the detailing world.
for $20 you can get a kit including some detail spray with it.
Always clay!

Theo_Auto_Fines
05-15-2013, 01:07 AM
Would a surgeon wash his hands before performing surgery?? Or better yet would you want him operating on you without washing his hands? Same principle, it goes hand in hand. Now laziness or time constraints can happen, but if you are going to cut corners then might as well not do it at all.

hernandez.art13
05-15-2013, 02:24 AM
Would a surgeon wash his hands before performing surgery?? Or better yet would you want him operating on you without washing his hands? Same principle, it goes hand in hand. Now laziness or time constraints can happen, but if you are going to cut corners then might as well not do it at all.

+1

WAXOFF
05-15-2013, 06:24 AM
It's like putting deodorant on and not taking a shower.

Blackthorn One
05-15-2013, 06:41 AM
I have been reading just about every article I can on AG so I can get deeper into detailing my own car and I was wondering if it is absolutely necessary to clay and/or polish the paint before putting any type of protective wax/sealant on? I am still building my arsenal and plan on doing a full decon in the near future, but until then what product(s) should I be using to protect the paint? I have some WG Deep Gloss Srpitz Sealant, but noticed it says it is intended to be used on an oxidation free surface, and further goes on to recommend polishing and claying prior to use. I am not expecting incredible results without first claying/polishing the paint, but just want to make sure I am protecting it until I can do a more thorough detail. Thanks in advance!
It is not absolutely necessary to clay and polish before applying an LSP, or a detail spray of any kind. It depends entirely upon the condition of the paint. The idea that claying and polishing must be done each and every time is incorrect. It will just make the paint thinner if it is done too often, until you go through the clear or see primer.

If you are going to be switching from one lsp to another, the use of a paint prep of cleaning solution is always a good idea, to promote better adhesion.
In your case, it sounds like claying polishing may be indicated, but you only clay if the car fails the plastic bag test, and you only polish if there is oxidation or scratches that you want to remove.
After claying and polishing, you can use a paint cleaner like Optimum Power clean )to remove all oils to ensure maximum bonding of the LSP.

The recommendation to clay and polish before applying an lSP is only valid if the car hasn't been clayed and polished recently enough relative to it's envioronmental exposure.