PDA

View Full Version : To use a DA polisher or not, that the question

Pages : [1] 2

Venom93corba
05-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Ok so I'm a total noob with all this stuff but it looks like using a DA polisher is the cats meow. My problem is I lack the confidence to use one and I'm trying do do some paint correction (swirl marks) on a BLACK Escalade. I've watched enough Porter Cable videos and it doesn't look that hard but I'm just afraid that I'll make it worse, ha ha. Thoughts? Someone please boost my confidence :)

rms64
05-14-2013, 03:51 PM
I was in your shoes not all that long ago, doing everything by hand with good but not great results.

I picked up a GG DA in December and love it - you won't regret it. Not difficult to do and opens up a world of possibilities in terms of results and efficiency.

Just go with a "least aggressive first" approach, do a test spot, and you will wonder why you haven't used one all along.

Just do it!! :xyxthumbs:

parkerslade
05-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Just go with a "lease aggressive first" approach, do a test spot, and you will wonder why you haven't used one all along.

Just do it!! :xyxthumbs:

:iagree:

I agree! DA's are quite fail safe and wonderful to play with. Remember to properly section pass, clean your pads often, and you will love your results. :buffing:

dorkiedoode
05-14-2013, 03:54 PM
My 50 year old co-worker who doesn't speak any English and never watched a single video on polishing, asked me to order him a polisher so he can do what I did to my car. You can do it. We will help you along the way. It's not hard just common sense stuff.

Venom93corba
05-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks guys. What would be a good novice DA? After researching, it looks like the Porter Cable 7424 gets a lot of beginner praise. Also what pads should I be looking at? I'm at a total lose on that one.

sunday joe
05-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Ok so I'm a total noob with all this stuff but it looks like using a DA polisher is the cats meow. My problem is I lack the confidence to use one and I'm trying do do some paint correction (swirl marks) on a BLACK Escalade. I've watched enough Porter Cable videos and it doesn't look that hard but I'm just afraid that I'll make it worse, ha ha. Thoughts? Someone please boost my confidence :)

I think you need some one on one instruction to build up your confidence. Maybe you could PM another detailer in your area for some help. The guys all rushed to help an older detailer to restore his truck earlier this year and they all had a great time. Ask and ye shall receive. The IRS does. LOL.

hernandez.art13
05-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Which DA are you looking to buy?

rms64
05-14-2013, 04:03 PM
The Griot's DA works great for me and gets high praise also from new users. It comes with a 6" backing plate so you'd need 6.5" pads to use with it. I bought a 5" backing plate to use with mine (as is common) so I can use 5.5" pads.

You'll get lots of pad recommendations depending on what you're trying to do - compounding, polishing, applying LSPs, etc.

I'd suggest Lake Country orange and yellow pads for compounding, white / grey for polishing and crimson for applying wax. These are just general recommendations - if you'll post what you're working on and it's conditions you'll get lots of great suggestions.

Good luck!

Venom93corba
05-14-2013, 04:05 PM
I'd consider any DA. I just thought of the PC DA because it had a ton of good reviews.

parkerslade
05-14-2013, 04:09 PM
If you're not so sure about full commitment go pick up the Harbor Freight DA ($45-$60) and change the backing plate to a 5''! That's what I started with and got into using a DA. There's a few pro's on here that use it and give good reviews after re-greasing the assembly, but that may be more work than you're looking for. Personally, I love the Griot's DA because mine just whistles and has the torque I need.

Wheelzntoys
05-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Practice on family's or a rental car.

jgg85234
05-14-2013, 04:18 PM
I just recently went through the decision process, and decided on the Flex DA, as I figured that's what I would want soon after I got one of the others.

The real point is whether or not to use a DA.

This was as good as it got with a 10" Orbital polisher (aka wax spreader)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/300zx.jpg

This was the result of my first use of the Flex (I was practicing to work on my wife's Pathfinder).

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/PTCruiser.jpg

You can't achieve the results without a DA polisher.

Jim

Venom93corba
05-14-2013, 04:21 PM
That's not a bad idea parker. Just out of curiosity does that one have a clutch like the PC. I think that's a great feature. Kind of makes it idiot proof, which is what I need ;)

parkerslade
05-14-2013, 04:50 PM
That's not a bad idea parker. Just out of curiosity does that one have a clutch like the PC. I think that's a great feature. Kind of makes it idiot proof, which is what I need ;)

Definitely has everything the PC offers. I can't remember if the thread is on here or Autopia but a member compared them side by side and they were nearly identical in terms of composition and weight. :)

c8n
05-14-2013, 05:44 PM
I was much like you... afraid that I will mess up my car. But took the plunge and ordered my supplies. When I got them and saw the foam pads... that immediately alleviated my fears. How much damage can you do with foam!?!?!... this was the immediate thought I had and went to work the next day.