PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845 finished

jimjc
05-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Well I just finished my new car with two products nxt2.0 as the sealer and Collinite 845 as the wax. I must say it looks fabulous. Couldn`t be happier.

I did everything by the book. I washed in Dawn 2 times. I put on the NXT 2.0 and waited one hour to dry and buffed it off with my $1 Mocrofiber towels. I went to a craft store around here and purchased some small 2 oz. squeeze bottles that worked perfect to transfer the Collinite into, I only used a little better than a ounce for the whole car. wow my 2 bottles of Collinite will last a long time. I warmed the Collinite in warm water and that worked perfect and made the wax perfect to apply with my PC 8424xp and a 6 1/2 finishing pad.

I waited 45 min. to let the Colllinite dry completely then removed and buffed with my MF towels. It was simple to remove because I made certain I put it on thin. The first pass with the MF just dragged slightly then turning the towel it slid right through.

I started at 10:00 o'clock and finished at 1:30 with 1 hr. 30 minutes waiting for things to dry. Work time was 2 hours and went by fast and as I said it looks great.

I was going to polish the car first with Megs 205 but decided I`d wait and make sure the polish is correct without any learning process and the Megs 205 is reported to need a bit of learning to apply correctly. I finally decided to stay with Megs NXT2.0 as a undercoat sealer because I`ve used it for many years and like it a lot and there`s no simplier product to put on and take off. So I now hae a system I thrilled with:xyxthumbs: and now I have my wifes new car to do

Everything worked because of the help and info on this forum. thanks

Setec Astronomy
05-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Glad everything worked out for you.

hernandez.art13
05-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Well I just finished my new car with two products nxt2.0 as the sealer and Collinite 845 as the wax. I must say it looks fabulous. Couldn`t be happier.

I did everything by the book. I washed in Dawn 2 times. I put on the NXT 2.0 and waited one hour to dry and buffed it off with my $1 Mocrofiber towels. I went to a craft store around here and purchased some small 2 oz. squeeze bottles that worked perfect to transfer the Collinite into, I only used a little better than a ounce for the whole car. wow my 2 bottles of Collinite will last a long time. I warmed the Collinite in warm water and that worked perfect and made the wax perfect to apply with my PC 8424xp and a 6 1/2 finishing pad.

I waited 45 min. to let the Colllinite dry completely then removed and buffed with my MF towels. It was simple to remove because I made certain I put it on thin. The first pass with the MF just dragged slightly then turning the towel it slid right through.

I started at 10:00 o'clock and finished at 1:30 with 1 hr. 30 minutes waiting for things to dry. Work time was 2 hours and went by fast and as I said it looks great.

I was going to polish the car first with Megs 205 but decided I`d wait and make sure the polish is correct without any learning process and the Megs 205 is reported to need a bit of learning to apply correctly. I finally decided to stay with Megs NXT2.0 as a undercoat sealer because I`ve used it for many years and like it a lot and there`s no simplier product to put on and take off. So I now hae a system I thrilled with:xyxthumbs: and now I have my wifes new car to do

Everybody might have opinions but in the end if your happy with your results. Then good job!

👍

jimjc
05-14-2013, 04:29 PM
I do expect everyone to have their opinions, as they should. I`ve been using NXT2.0 only and it dulled down a little early so the Collonite 845 was key in bringing the look up and hopefully it will last for 4 months with my Megs 156 x-press spray wax used weekly.

Anyway the next time I do this it will include a polish probably Mendurna Power Lock. and that should complete the process. Of coarse I may end up with a different sealer but didn`t have the time to make a decision now because I wanted my new cars protected..

dooyaunastan
05-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Collinite 845 is supposed to have much greater durability than NXT 2.0, correct me if I'm wrong but did you not just say you topped NXT 2.0 with 845?

Also, Menzerna Powerlock is not a polish but a paint sealant.

Wheelzntoys
05-14-2013, 07:44 PM
did everything by the book. I washed in Dawn 2 times.

I put on the NXT 2.0 and waited one hour to dry and buffed it off with my $1 Mocrofiber towels.

I waited 45 min. to let the Colllinite dry completely then removed and buffed with my MF towels. It was simple to remove because I made certain I put it on thin. The first pass with the MF just dragged slightly then turning the towel it slid right

Is it real humid? Usually dry time is about 15 min, also be wary of cheap MFs on paint.

Recently I've seen more posts of dry time being confused with cure time, so thought ill check.

Collinite is an all time favorite, great choice.

jimjc
05-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Collinite 845 is supposed to have much greater durability than NXT 2.0, correct me if I'm wrong but did you not just say you topped NXT 2.0 with 845?

Also, Menzerna Powerlock is not a polish but a paint sealant.

Frankly it doesn't matter if Collinite 845 lasts more than 4 months because my schedule is to completely strip my cars and redu them every 4 months no matter what I use. i`ll maintain in between with Megs 156 spray wax. and 135 detailer.

Regarding NXT/NXT2.0 I`ve used it ever since it came out and wasn`t happy with how long the shine lasted but as far as I`m concerned the protection was still there because after a Chicago winter the beading was still very good. I believe NXT2.0 lasts for four months and I`ve had years to prove it to myself. I`m 100% sure that Collinite will not fall of the car because it has NXT2.0 under it.

I was going back and forth with different products and had Menzurna on the mind because at one point I was going to use Menzurns 85rd for polishing and Power lock for sealing and I mixed them up when posting so you are correct on that point.

Everything is subjective when it comes to maintaining paint that`s why they have thousands of products for the purpose. Heck I may just put Collinite 845 on the cars without any sealer at all. Have a good one

jimjc
05-15-2013, 07:34 AM
Is it real humid? Usually dry time is about 15 min, also be wary of cheap MFs on paint.

Recently I've seen more posts of dry time being confused with cure time, so thought ill check.

Collinite is an all time favorite, great choice.

Thanks for the reply. Actually I waited longer for the dry time because I broke my ankle a few weeks back and needed some rest between haha it was a good excuse to take a long break between applications.

You know I`ve been using these $1 Microfiber towels for many years now and until coming to this site and reading that many use far more expensive Microfibers [ that I didn`t know even existed] was completely happy. I have powerful lights to look at my paint and see no scratches at all. Once you get used to paying about $1 for a towel how do you start paying $7 ? haha then what will I do with the 50 or so Microfibers I now have?:confused: We`ll see

jimjc
05-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Glad everything worked out for you.

Thanks, it did work very well, the car looks very good.

I may be changing in 4 months because I`m going to polish the cars [ never used polish before ] and may not use a sealer under the Collinite and see how it works. But as far as wax Collinite is the one

hernandez.art13
05-15-2013, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the reply. Actually I waited longer for the dry time because I broke my ankle a few weeks back and needed some rest between haha it was a good excuse to take a long break between applications.

You know I`ve been using these $1 Microfiber towels for many years now and until coming to this site and reading that many use far more expensive Microfibers [ that I didn`t know even existed] was completely happy. I have powerful lights to look at my paint and see no scratches at all. Once you get used to paying about $1 for a towel how do you start paying $7 ? haha then what will I do with the 50 or so Microfibers I now have?:confused: We`ll see

Sell them on Pawn Stars with all those MF towels, then kids could be put through college once they are sold. Lol

Well maybe not Pawn Stars because they hustle big time.

c8n
05-15-2013, 08:29 AM
I thought the curing time for NXT was 12hrs.
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but the proper way to layer wax/sealant is to apply 1st layer, haze and wipe off.... wait the appropriate curing time and then apply with a 2nd layer, haze and wipe off.

jimjc
05-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Sell them on Pawn Stars with all those MF towels, then kids could be put through college once they are sold. Lol

Well maybe not Pawn Stars because they hustle big time.

Now there you go, I`l just sell them. I just realized I`ll use them for the bad jobs like wheels etc. But tell me I don`t have to spent $7 a towel Please...

jimjc
05-15-2013, 11:02 AM
I thought the curing time for NXT was 12hrs.
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but the proper way to layer wax/sealant is to apply 1st layer, haze and wipe off.... wait the appropriate curing time and then apply with a 2nd layer, haze and wipe off.

You know I have no idea because this is the first time using a wax on top. In the past I`ve just used NXT2.0 and re-applied it about every 3 months. It looks good but I`d like to hear also.

c8n
05-15-2013, 11:15 AM
You know I have no idea because this is the first time using a wax on top. In the past I`ve just used NXT2.0 and re-applied it about every 3 months. It looks good but I`d like to hear also.

I looked it up. The curing time for NXT is 12hrs.

NXT Cure Time (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?5052-NXT-Cure-Time)

BobbyG
05-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Congratulations on your success! :props:

Collinite 845 is what I call one of those hidden gems. What a fabulous, easy to use long lasting wax and for the price how can you beat it....:dblthumb2: