PDA

View Full Version : FG400 Megiuars MF Pad

Pages : [1] 2

Mastercraft241
05-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Hey guys,

So I had a detail this weekend and I went with the FG400 with the MF pad. It was a black 2004 ESV. The entire car was repainted and the paint was extremly hard. I used FG400 on speed 4 with a MF pad. In addition I did my audi S5. For some reason, Its really not getting out the fine scratches how I'd like. Maybe im not using enough product? Im doing 3 dime size dots for a 2x2 area and doing about 4-5 passes with the rupes 21hrs. Attached are pictures of my car and the black esv..... any suggestions appreciated. I think I might be skimping on product? I followed up with Sonax PF 4/6 and a yellow pad to see the effects. FG400 defiently finished off kind of dull.

silverfox
05-14-2013, 10:38 AM
With MF pads less is more. You want to prime the pad then before you even touch the first panel you want to clean the pad. You heard me right. Prime then clean with compressed air. Now you are ready to use on the first panel. Two pea size works for me. If you overload a MF pad your results will suck.

I would have used D300 which is designed for MF pads. I suppose Menzerna products would work with MF but I've never had luck with that combo.

Evan.J
05-14-2013, 10:42 AM
With MF pads less is more. You want to prime the pad then before you even touch the first panel you want to clean the pad. You heard me right. Prime then clean with compressed air. Now you are ready to use on the first panel. Two pea size works for me. If you overload a MF pad your results will suck.

:iagree: Well said. 2-3 pea sized drops. and always clean that pad and often.

Mastercraft241
05-14-2013, 10:48 AM

I would have used D300 which is designed for MF pads. I suppose Menzerna products would work with MF but I've never had luck with that combo.

:iagree: Well said. 2-3 pea sized drops. and always clean that pad and often.
So thats what I've been doing. Maybe applying pressure to the orbital? The lhr21 specifically asks not to apply pressure. I also clean by putting a microfiber towel over the buffer after each area and running it at 4-5 to clean off excess residue.

Evan.J
05-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Do you have compressed air? If not you should be using a pad brush to clean the pad. You need to re-fluff (is that a word?) the fibers on the pad and this also removes spent product from the pads as well

WRAPT C5Z06
05-14-2013, 10:56 AM
I remember seeing a test that Todd Helme did with FG400 and MF pads. His results were less than stellar.

I only use non-diminishing abrasives with MF pads.

Audi X2
05-14-2013, 11:06 AM
So thats what I've been doing. Maybe applying pressure to the orbital? The lhr21 specifically asks not to apply pressure. I also clean by putting a microfiber towel over the buffer after each area and running it at 4-5 to clean off excess residue.

A lot of pressure is not good with the MF pads as it compresses them too much and the material cannot correct properly. The Rupes machines work well with these pads because they do not require a lot of downward weight to work their best thus allowing the throw of the machine to let the microfiber fingers work as intended.

silverfox
05-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Is not the RUPES a complete "system"...(i.e. designed to work within a family of pads and polishes?)

I'm assuming you had the pads and polish before you ordered the polisher....

Amen on using MF pads with DAT polishes (especially Menz)...Ive never had the patience to make that combo work.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-14-2013, 11:19 AM
When using a standard DA with MF pads, applying ample pressure is perfectly fine, as long as you keep the pad rotating. In the case of the Rupes, ample pressure is not NEEDED because of the large throw.

Mastercraft241
05-14-2013, 11:23 AM
A lot of pressure is not good with the MF pads as it compresses them too much and the material cannot correct properly. The Rupes machines work well with these pads because they do not require a lot of downward weight to work their best thus allowing the throw of the machine to let the microfiber fingers work as intended.

Is not the RUPES a complete "system"...(i.e. designed to work within a family of pads and polishes?)

I'm assuming you had the pads and polish before you ordered the polisher....

Amen on using MF pads with DAT polishes (especially Menz)...Ive never had the patience to make that combo work.
I actually ordered them together. I was reading good reviews with this system. I also read extremly good review with SONAX 4/6, which is why I ordered that with a yellow pad. I was planning to use menz and if I were to 2 step use the 4/6 to finish up. Is there another pad I can use with the menz?

WRAPT C5Z06
05-14-2013, 11:56 AM
You can use any foam pad with Menzerna, it just depends on the aggressiveness.

Mastercraft241
05-14-2013, 11:57 AM
You can use any foam pad with Menzerna, it just depends on the aggressiveness.
So can i use a yellow cutting pad with FG400 with better results?

WRAPT C5Z06
05-14-2013, 12:01 PM
So can i use a yellow cutting pad with FG400 with better results?
That's a heavy cut combination. You should be able to remove a lot of defects. However, the yellow pad will leave behind a good amount of marring, unless the paint is super hard. You will most likely have to do a 2nd step with a lighter pad polish.

The Rupes rotation tends to slow down somewhat easily, especially on curved panels. Make sure you use good technique to keep the pad rotating.

Mastercraft241
05-14-2013, 12:03 PM
That's a heavy cut combination. You should be able to remove a lot of defects. However, the yellow pad will leave behind a good amount of marring, unless the paint is super hard. You will most likely have to do a 2nd step with a lighter pad polish.
So possibly a white pad?

WRAPT C5Z06
05-14-2013, 12:05 PM
So possibly a white pad?
The white pad will finish a lot better. Start with the least aggresive pad first. If you're not getting the results desired, step up to a more aggressive pad(orange).