PDA

View Full Version : First impressions PC and pads

BlackRocks
05-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Well, I have put the PC to the test and I am impressed with its capabilities, but I am a bit taken back by how long it takes to get results. I put the orange pad to work using the XMT fine swirl remover and was surprised to find it takes a ton of time and speed 5 to 6 on the PC to get results I was looking for. I moved to the Pinnacle advanced swirl remover and a orange pad and found it made better improvments, but still took forever and needed a lot of speed on the PC. I moved to the yellow pad and tried the Pinnacle Advanced swirl again and found it working a bit faster, but still relatively slow. I really need to get the process speed up on these two steps, as a lot of my customers have medium swirl mark damage in their paint and almost all my customers have water spot damage(etching).

Overall, the PC appears to be a great tool for somebody doing basic cleaner was steps and then sealing/waxing. It definately takes too long for getting a car through several cleaning/heavy polishing steps in one day of detailing. I am extremely picky on my finish, so what I still want to get out is stuff my neighbors and many of my better customers cannot/or don't care about getting out. However, I am looking forward to my rotary buffer and these new foam pads at this point. I am pretty sure the Pinnacle Advanced Swirl remover and a orange pad are going to get great results in little time with the rotary.

I'll also ask for additional recommendations on products that may work better with the PC(I have the XMT line complete, the Pinnacle Advanced, and the Poorboys line is coming....which I hear does wonders, so I can't wait).

Todd

DS Detailer
05-28-2006, 03:45 PM
The PC is great, but it's safe, which is why it takes more time. If you've used a rotary before and know what you're doing, then thats the way to go. Other wise, I'd stick with the PC and sacrafice the time for safety.

ScottB
05-28-2006, 06:03 PM
The PC is great, but it's safe, which is why it takes more time. If you've used a rotary before and know what you're doing, then thats the way to go. Other wise, I'd stick with the PC and sacrafice the time for safety.

:iagree: :iagree:

Your not going to get the same results with a PC and a Rotary. It does not transfer heat and is much safer, but at the cost of time. You didnt seem to discuss speed, but with the PC your cooking at full tilt (6). With a Rotary your likely spinning at 1200 rpms max.

BlackRocks
05-28-2006, 10:38 PM

I agree. I have gotten good results with a rotary and foam pads in the past. Those where the old pads, though, and the new foam pads are much better quality. I have some of the Lake Country pads on arriving this week and will start working with them. It will be a long time before I move to any cutting wool pads on a 'real' car and not just donor panels.

Todd

blkyukon
06-01-2006, 12:10 PM
IMO The PC is a great tool for enthusiast and weekend warriors for a few reasons:
- like mentioned above, it's safe
- You can get great results with the right product/pad combo
- It does take longer then a rotary, but you still can remove heavy marring and not take all day. Here is a truck I did and it took about 5-6 hours for just the paint, from imperfection removal to LSP:

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/cars/4runner/images/10_4runner.jpg

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/cars/4runner/images/11_4runner.jpg

Now if you are looking to do imperfection removal on multiple cars a day and/or week then I'd definitely step up to a rotary. The PC will limit the amount of cars you can do a day.

ScottB
06-01-2006, 12:56 PM
IMO The PC is a great tool for enthusiast and weekend warriors for a few reasons:
- It does take longer then a rotary, but you still can remove heavy marring and not take all day. Here is a truck I did and it took about 5-6 hours for just the paint, from imperfection removal to LSP:

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/cars/4runner/images/10_4runner.jpg

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/cars/4runner/images/11_4runner.jpg

Now if you are looking to do imperfection removal on multiple cars a day and/or week then I'd definitely step up to a rotary. The PC will limit the amount of cars you can do a day.

Clearly a vast improvement http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/cool/cool-smiley-003.gif

BlackRocks
06-01-2006, 01:16 PM

I agree that the PC is a great tool, but I am currently able to use my rotary well enough that I can produce what takes several mintues with the PC in just a minute or less with the rotary. I also ordered the Edge 2K pads for my rotary and I am really looking forward to seeing how those pads do on it. I added the heavy cut black edge pad to the Edge kit and I am hoping it eliminates any need for a wool pad in what I do. I am told it will easily remove 2000 grit markes with a lighter compound.....I'll find out.

5 to 6 hours isn't bad, just I need to get an interior detail in there and possibly an engine compartment clean as well. It cuts it way too close for the normal detail time I am given(cutomer usually comes back in 8 to 10 hours and I like a long lunch;) ).

Todd

blkyukon
06-01-2006, 03:02 PM
I agree that the PC is a great tool, but I am currently able to use my rotary well enough that I can produce what takes several mintues with the PC in just a minute or less with the rotary.

Exactly, a rotary in the right hands can cut the time in half if not more, and is definitely preferred by anyone proficient enough to use one. Now with that being said, there are a lot of people that don't have the time or desire to learn how to use a rotary so a PC is able to take their paint to that next level.

I also ordered the Edge 2K pads for my rotary and I am really looking forward to seeing how those pads do on it. I added the heavy cut black edge pad to the Edge kit and I am hoping it eliminates any need for a wool pad in what I do. I am told it will easily remove 2000 grit markes with a lighter compound.....I'll find out.
I'm testing out some Edge pads for my PC and have been please with the performance, I'm plan on doing a review on them this month...The quick release and double side is great!

5 to 6 hours isn't bad, just I need to get an interior detail in there and possibly an engine compartment clean as well. It cuts it way too close for the normal detail time I am given(cutomer usually comes back in 8 to 10 hours and I like a long lunch;) ).

Todd

Yes with wash, trim, interior, paint, etc it took a little over 9 hours. It was a big job, it had some deep marring, years of improper washing and gas station car washes:

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/cars/4runner/images/05_4runner.jpg

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/cars/4runner/images/06_4runner.jpg