PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Polishing Pads

The Critic
05-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Hey Guys,

I've been away from the forum for a while, but am finally coming back to the detailing scene.

I have a Flex 3401 and my pads are getting pretty tired (partly due to my abuse, resulting from inadequate/correct maint), so they are in need of replacement.

Can you folks recommend some polishing pads for moderate defect removal? I have M105, M205 and Optimum Polish 2.0 in my arsenal that I plan to be using. If there are better options out there, please let me know. The application is a 2011 Toyota Prius - which it has the somewhat soft, Winter Grey paint.

Thanks in advance!

FASTFRED
05-13-2013, 10:45 AM
I would reccomend Lake Country 5.5 Flat pads. Get orange, white, and black.
The other choice would be L.C. Hyrotech pads , Cynan, Tangerine and Red.
My .02 :xyxthumbs:

The Critic
05-13-2013, 11:01 AM
I would reccomend Lake Country 5.5 Flat pads. Get orange, white, and black.
The other choice would be L.C. Hyrotech pads , Cynan, Tangerine and Red.
My .02 :xyxthumbs:

Thanks. I think I need 6.5 though....does your rec still stand?

Also, any thoughts on the Microfiber systems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evan.J
05-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Thanks. I think I need 6.5 though....does your rec still stand?

Also, any thoughts on the Microfiber systems?

I agree with the Hydrotech pads. On the MF pads I have seen that they do not play well with the flex due to the forced ration.

FASTFRED
05-13-2013, 11:14 AM
I like the 5.5 on a PC or Flex But 6.5 will work better with the Flex.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-13-2013, 11:43 AM
My advice is the hybrid pads designed for the 3401. These are the best pads for use on the FLEX hands down.

I also wouldnt run a mf pad on the FLEX. Run the hybrid wool pad.

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish Ultra Performance Pad System, buffing pads, foam pads, polishing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/hybrid-power-finish-pads.html)

jgg85234
05-13-2013, 11:47 AM
I agree with the Hybrid pad choice. I got the CCS ones in my Flex kit, and they worked fine.

I got the Lake Country adapter kit and tried 4" CCS pads (to get to smaller areas). They also worked.

Tried the 5" Hybrids, and they are smooth on the Flex, and produce excellent results.

The hybrids do come in 6.5" size. But, you could get the adapter and use the 5" pads.

Jim

The Critic
05-14-2013, 02:29 AM
I agree with the Hybrid pad choice. I got the CCS ones in my Flex kit, and they worked fine.

I got the Lake Country adapter kit and tried 4" CCS pads (to get to smaller areas). They also worked.

Tried the 5" Hybrids, and they are smooth on the Flex, and produce excellent results.

The hybrids do come in 6.5" size. But, you could get the adapter and use the 5" pads.

Jim

Thanks. I looked at the different backing plate options on autogeek and noticed that there are two backing plate options if one chooses to downsize to 5.5" pads - 1) The factory 4 3/8" backing plate for $37, 2) Lake Country Changeable Backing Plate System for $50. If the only goal is to use 5.5" pads, then the Lake Country system does not appear to have any advantage over the smaller factory plate. Is that correct?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-14-2013, 08:06 AM
If you are going to use the 5.5 pads the the 4 3/8 plate should be used. The factory plate is to big and doesn't provide any safety margin for use with the 5.5 pads.

The Critic
05-17-2013, 04:29 PM
If you are going to use the 5.5 pads the the 4 3/8 plate should be used. The factory plate is to big and doesn't provide any safety margin for use with the 5.5 pads.

Thanks.