PDA

View Full Version : is there a point to cleaning tires?

Pages : [1] 2

op1001
05-13-2013, 12:55 AM
I was just curious, what you guys think about this?

I see a lot of people spending money on products to clean tires etc, but in reality they only clean the side where the they will apply trim to..

Sure we can spray tire cleaner onto the tire, but reality is most of us are probably just scrubbing the visible area to clean and protect

SO really what good does it do to the rest of the tire?

Nothing really no?

FFguy808
05-13-2013, 01:04 AM
Short answer, so tire dressings bond better:xyxthumbs:

op1001
05-13-2013, 01:27 AM
so reality is we are only dressing one side of the tire , which really means the rest of the tire is still unprotected .

FFguy808
05-13-2013, 01:30 AM
I still treat the inner side every tire rotation to prevent cracking

dc52nv
05-13-2013, 02:24 AM
I don't worry that much about the inner side of the tire since the sun doesn't hit it all day long. I clean my tires thoroughly every wash so my tire dressing bonds to it properly.

Hazcat
05-13-2013, 03:48 AM
I clean them because I like them clean. I don't put any dressing on mine. I just like them nice and black without dirt or dust. I suppose I could put some spray wax on them for UV protection. I've never had a sidewall crack before I wore out the tire.

spiralout462
05-13-2013, 07:21 AM
I think a clean tire is important on a dark colored vehicle. All the time detailing the paint is for naught if all you can see is brown or gray tires. Clean tires is even more important on trucks and SUV's with bigger tires. A bigger sidewall is more noticeable than a low profile model.

c8n
05-13-2013, 08:00 AM
Something my dad said to me when I was a kid and complained about making the bed when it is going to get undone every night when I goto bed.

He then said to me why bother eating? You're going to get hungry again!

Sorry, I know the OP's question is legitimate but I thought I would add some humor this morning.

jimjc
05-13-2013, 08:13 AM
Well I guess we can polish the heck out of our paint to get it looking perfect and just leave the tires dirty, somethings wrong with that picture. Naw I`m going to clean my tires and put everything on them to make them look great, by the way if you do this your wheels will look better also. Oh I forgot to mention polish the heck out of your wheels also. Doing these things will keep the world in balance and it won`t give you any time to sit around and pick your nose.Im the MAN

FUNX650
05-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Besides 'aesthetics'...
I believe there actually is a point, or more, to be made about cleaning tires.

As such:
-I look at it as part of a preventative maintenance program for not only the tires themselves,
but also for the wheels (inner and outer barrels), braking-system components, and the wheel-wells.

-How am I to conduct a proper inspection (include safety-check) of these vehicle areas
when they are dirty, full of brake dust and other corrosive elements?!?!

I do realize that:
-The removal of the tire/wheel assemblies is not always feasible.

-But as it has been mentioned:
The inner-sides of these assemblies are not subjected to as much (if any)
of the destructive UV rays as the outer sides.

-When I pull these "assemblies" is when they receive more intensive attention.

Besides the possible savings in the long run...
My life, and the lives of others, depends on where the rubber meets the road...IMHO.

In closing I can only suggest:
Make sure you clean your tires (and surrounding components/parts) thoroughly, and often.

:)

Bob

cplchris
05-13-2013, 02:41 PM
i do an off vehicle wheel and tire cleaning regiment every 5000 miles when i rotate the tires, as well as a brake inspection and cleaning. i also pull, inspect, and regrease the caliper slide pins.

bootstrap
05-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Inside of tires? Lololol, not cleaning them other than that pressure washer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

WantcarPerfect
05-13-2013, 04:53 PM
I clean my wheels and scrub the tires every week when I wash my car. I then apply Mothers Protectant to the outside of the tire and spray Protectant on an old microfiber and wipe the other side of the tire the best I can. The only thing I have never done is take some Protecant and a micro with me when I had new tires put on to wipe down the inside. Obviously I have thought about but was afraid I would be too OCD. I also was afraid the tire dealer would think I was nuts or object. But I still think it could be a good idea! ??

Dogfather
05-13-2013, 06:24 PM
i do an off vehicle wheel and tire cleaning regiment every 5000 miles when i rotate the tires, as well as a brake inspection and cleaning. i also pull, inspect, and regrease the caliper slide pins.

I'm genuinely impressed.

maximus20895
05-13-2013, 06:50 PM

What do you use to grease it with? I hope it's silicone paste.