PDA

View Full Version : megs 205

Pages : [1] 2

jimjc
05-12-2013, 07:49 AM
I`ve yet to receive my order from AG one of the items is Megs. 205. I have a Lake Country Gray pad and I`m looking to just bring up the gloss on my new cars [ 2013 Honda Accords ]. The paint on them is very good without any scratches or swirls. I`ve never used polish on any of my previous cars, so this is the first time for polish.

Is the gray pad a good pad for just light polish? and would 4 to 5 be a good speed [PC7424xp] with very little pressure. and 3 passes?

BillE
05-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Without sounding trite...give it a go on a 'test spot' and see what happens. The gray/black pad has limited cutting at best.

Do you have any other pads?

Bill

jimjc
05-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Without sounding trite...give it a go on a 'test spot' and see what happens. The gray/black pad has limited cutting at best.

Do you have any other pads?

Bill

The paint on both cars is new. I wasn`t looking to remove but a tiny amount of clearcoat, just looking to bring up the gloss. I was just trying to get a few guidelines since I have never used polish before. I have LC blue and I do have some non-LC polishing pads.

I have a lot of time and wanted the least amount of aggressiveness it really doesn`t matter if I have to do it another time or not.

KillaCam
05-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Depending how hard or soft the clear is will determine what you will need to use. That's why a test spot was recommended.

If your clear is super soft, a black pad on a lower speed might work well. If your paint is harder, a white pad on a higher speed might work better.

jimjc
05-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Depending how hard or soft the clear is will determine what you will need to use. That's why a test spot was recommended.

If your clear is super soft, a black pad on a lower speed might work well. If your paint is harder, a white pad on a higher speed might work better.

Thanks, I have read that the new Hondas Accords have "soft clearcoats", now whether that is correct or not I have no way of knowing, so thats why I wanted to go slow, I have a lot of time to accompish this so how much time I spend isn`t a concern, just the result.

erichaley
05-12-2013, 01:28 PM
I have a 2013 Accord myself (black Touring), and I have used M101, M105, and M205 on it with good results. How's the orange peel on yours?

WRAPT C5Z06
05-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Thanks, I have read that the new Hondas Accords have "soft clearcoats", now whether that is correct or not I have no way of knowing, so thats why I wanted to go slow,
Do a test spot first. If the clear coat is indeed soft, M205 will most likely micro marr the black paint. Make sure to do an IPA/ Easer wipe down with good lighting to show the true results.

jimjc
05-12-2013, 01:54 PM
I have a 2013 Accord myself (black Touring), and I have used M101, M105, and M205 on it with good results. How's the orange peel on yours?

Actually my wifes white pearl [forgot the name] has less orange peel than my light silver [ forgot that name to ] But the silver isn`t bad but I would like to deal with it. I`ve read that orange peel can be difficult to deal with.

From what I have read the Megs M105 is the first step and far more aggressive than the M205 thats why I purchased the 205. But it could be that 205 will not deal with the orange peel?

Do you agree that the new Honda has soft clearcoat or how would you characterize it as? Did you need the 105 because the orange peel needed it? Jim

jimjc
05-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Do a test spot first. If the clear coat is indeed soft, M205 will most likely micro marr the black paint. Make sure to do an IPA/ Easer wipe down with good lighting to show the true results.
alcohol

My cars are white and silver. I was planning to do a strong Dawn wash. So I need to do a I.alcohol wipe down also. I have strong halogen lights that may work. Looks like I`ll have to do a test spot. Thanks

EDIR Do suggest something less aggressive than Megs 205?

William D.
05-12-2013, 02:13 PM
The orange peel is the paint itself, not the clearcoat. I don't think abrading the clear will do anything to alleviate the orange peel, as it's below the clear.

jimjc
05-12-2013, 02:21 PM
The orange peel is the paint itself, not the clearcoat. I don't think abrading the clear will do anything to alleviate the orange peel, as it's below the clear.

I see, well there`s no way I`ll resolve that but the orange peel isn`t that bad anyway. I`ve had older cars that were 1 step [ non-clearcoat ] paint and I know that you could deal with the OP. but had no idea it was only in the color coat only. Thanks

rmagnus
05-12-2013, 03:47 PM
I`ve yet to receive my order from AG one of the items is Megs. 205. I have a Lake Country Gray pad and I`m looking to just bring up the gloss on my new cars [ 2013 Honda Accords ]. The paint on them is very good without any scratches or swirls. I`ve never used polish on any of my previous cars, so this is the first time for polish.

Is the gray pad a good pad for just light polish? and would 4 to 5 be a good speed [PC7424xp] with very little pressure. and 3 passes?

Yes grey pad mad M205 on speed 4-5 is a great place to start. You may need to move to a white pad but I would try the grey first. Do a test spot first and an IPA wipe down en check the result.

erichaley
05-13-2013, 12:09 AM
I was just doing some work on some scratches on my front bumper this weekend, and M101 did the trick nicely with my Griot's 3" and a teal pad. Damn car wash brushes!! Never again!!!

As far as the orange peel goes, from rubbing my fingers across the paint, it feels like the orange peel is in the clear, not the base coat. Now, of course, I could just be imagining that I was feeling the texture as I have doubts as to whether or not orange peel is something that can actually be felt... We'll see once my velvet and denim Car-Pro pads show up Wednesday. I figure with a DA and some flex backing plates that the cut will be far less than with a rotary. And yes, I know I'm treading on thin ice here (or clear coat for that matter) here. That's why I plan on testing behind the rear license plate. I ordered the denim because the velvet wasn't available in a 3". Maybe I could cut a 5.5" velvet down...

Also, keep in mind that foam pads and compound will do nothing to help the orange peel as it will remove clear from both the peaks as well as the valleys... In the end, you'll have less scratches and swirling, but the same amount of orange peel. I did a sample area and you could see a recessed area where I was polishing, but there was no reduction in orange peel, hence my theory above.

rmagnus
05-13-2013, 12:29 AM
If its a DD leave it alone. Hondas have a reputation for Cc failure so I would think twice about sanding the clear. If ou do use a paced sanding disc as it justbtakes off the high spots and make it look better. Meg's sells them as does 3M I believe.

erichaley
05-14-2013, 02:41 PM
If its a DD leave it alone. Hondas have a reputation for Cc failure so I would think twice about sanding the clear. If ou do use a paced sanding disc as it justbtakes off the high spots and make it look better. Meg's sells them as does 3M I believe.

See my post here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64419