PDA

View Full Version : Sonax on paint?

kimokalihi
05-12-2013, 02:57 AM
I see a lot of people using ironx on their cars before claying to help dissolve iron particles and make claying easier and safer. Can I use sonax full effect for this? I see that it also breaks down iron particles and I happen to have a few bottles of it already but no ironx.

PiPUK
05-12-2013, 06:11 AM
Same basic principle, I believe the Sonax might well have been the first product of this type.

Whilst that may be true... beware the instructions because I do not know whether there are other ingredients which make it unsafe on paintwork (however unlikely it may be).

sproketser
05-12-2013, 06:15 AM
I would use IronX instead of Full Effect for your application buddy . Just a safe side . But surely some will chime in on that if FE s safe also .

PiPUK
05-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Looking at the MSDS there is nothing listed which would worry me. What I would note is that:

1) The active concentration is notably lower than IX
2) Sonax have classified the product differently to most - apparently due to some animal testing.

john b
05-12-2013, 05:31 PM
i think that ironx would be cheaper per ounce and more efective,i will say i remember someone else brought up the same question couple years ago.

AeroCleanse
05-12-2013, 08:39 PM
I prefer Wolfs Deionizer as you can let it dry on paint, IronX you can't (at least not the one I have)

lawrenceSA
05-13-2013, 02:08 AM
I have used Sonax on the paint once just to see if it worked, and it does, but not anywhere near as good as iron-x or iron out.

It will also be more costly as you will need a lot more product to get even close to the effectiveness of a dedicated iron remover.

kimokalihi
05-13-2013, 02:19 AM
I think its safe to say its not the most cost effective/EFFECTIVE product for the job then. Ill order some ironx thanks guys. Was only hoping to save some money and use up this sonax.

PiPUK
05-13-2013, 03:56 AM
I prefer Wolfs Deionizer as you can let it dry on paint, IronX you can't (at least not the one I have)

In practice you can let it dry and it won't do any more harm than de-ironiser. There is really only one big difference between the two products but the ingredients list is basically the same.

I have used Sonax on the paint once just to see if it worked, and it does, but not anywhere near as good as iron-x or iron out.

Iron Out is moderately acidic - Sonax/IX are pH neutral. Personally I think acidic fallout removers and pH neutral belong in a different group.

AeroCleanse
05-13-2013, 11:50 AM
In practice you can let it dry and it won't do any more harm than de-ironiser. There is really only one big difference between the two products but the ingredients list is basically the same.

De-Ionizer smells better, IMHO

PiPUK
05-13-2013, 01:17 PM
De-Ionizer smells better, IMHO

Less of the smelly ingredient.

AeroCleanse
05-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Less of the smelly ingredient.

Or they have done a good job at masking it.

PiPUK
05-14-2013, 05:30 AM
Or they have done a good job at masking it.

In truth the smell depend upon the grade of raw material. However, as a chemist (and hopefully AG don't object to my saying so), IX is demonstrably more concentrated and, in this case, that is the reason IX smells worse.

AeroCleanse
05-14-2013, 10:47 AM
In truth the smell depend upon the grade of raw material. However, as a chemist (and hopefully AG don't object to my saying so), IX is demonstrably more concentrated and, in this case, that is the reason IX smells worse.

Without knowing the chemical makeup of each product all I can say is that I find Wolfs to work better.