PDA

View Full Version : Sealant

sweatthedetails
05-10-2013, 10:59 PM
I have been told that if I apply a product that contains carnauba, then sealant will not adhear properly. Is this true? Can I apply carnauba or a finishing glaze on top of the sealant?

AutowerxDetailing
05-10-2013, 11:05 PM
It is typically agreed that sealants are designed to form a stronger and/or more consistent bond with a surface when the substrate is free of any waxes or oils. Therefor, one should endeavor to apply synthetic sealants to bare paintwork for better performance and durability.

Topping a sealant with a carnauba based product should be fine. Here is a good article with some general recommendations regarding topping. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40089-topping-definition-how-top-also-called-topping.html

mwoolfso
05-11-2013, 05:57 AM
If the finishing glaze is a true glaze (as opposed to a cleaner wax), then the process would be glaze first, then sealant, then carnauba.

Shortspark
05-11-2013, 07:21 AM
I have also heard you should not apply a sealant over wax and I have no reason to do so. You use a sealant if you want longer detail intervals (six months or more) but a good wax, although it does not last as long, usually provides for a deeper, richer shine and look. There are spray sealants and spray waxes so it seems to make sense to use the same kind of "topper" as your LSP. Having said that, I have used Duragloss AquaWax (not a wax but a spray sealant) over wax and it works quite well. But I do not expect it to bond to the wax for very long and I only use it to enhance gloss until my next wash. Spray wax such as OCW or Griot's Spray wax can extend protection of the wax LSP.

I guess what I'm saying is that if your LSP is wax then top with a spray wax. If the LSP is a sealant, top with a polymer sealant. I don't know what the rules are for others but that seems to make sense to me.

KBsToy
05-12-2013, 09:38 AM
It is typically agreed that sealants are designed to form a stronger and/or more consistent bond with a surface when the substrate is free of any waxes or oils. Therefor, one should endeavor to apply synthetic sealants to bare paintwork for better performance and durability.

Topping a sealant with a carnauba based product should be fine. Here is a good article with some general recommendations regarding topping. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40089-topping-definition-how-top-also-called-topping.html

:iagree: