PDA

View Full Version : Do microfiber towels really matter?

Pages : [1] 2

B-M-D
05-10-2013, 09:48 PM
There are big packs of microfibers for cheap at Walmart.

Are expensive microfibers really necessary?

Pureshine
05-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Yes if your going too be using them on paint yes if not no. I use the cheap ones from Costco for everything none paint related.

Robert8194
05-10-2013, 09:52 PM
There are big packs of microfibers for cheap at Walmart.

Are expensive microfibers really necessary?

For door jams, wheels or engine compartments, probably not. For use on paint for removing wax, probably so. I'm not sure expensive is the key, quality is. Maybe they are the same but use quality on the paint.

B-M-D
05-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Yes if your going too be using them on paint yes if not no. I use the cheap ones from Costco for everything none paint related.Why shouldn't the cheap towels be used on paint?

SR99
05-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Different people have different expectations. The only way to decide where you fit is to get some cheap ones and some good ones and decide for yourself. Price does not always equal quality.

The other thing is that some say there are certain MF towels (even expensive ones) that have scratched their paint. I've not experienced that so can't comment. Only point being, your paint might be a factor also (which again calls for experimenting on your part)

Microfiber towels are to detailers as clamps are to woodworkers. You can never have enough quantity or variety. They're one of the most basic tools.

HardLineDetail
05-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Remember, a good quality towel can scratch your paint as well if you don't carefully take care of them. I sometimes take about 2-5 mins per towel to take off debris stuck in the fibers that won't come off easily. IF you use that in your paint, then you are going to scratch your paint with debris stuck in your towel. That's why i always check my towel every time i wipe down something to check for anything stuck on them.

Just imagine you just finished polishing your paint and wiped down the polish with your towel just to see that you left small scratches everywhere >.<. Would be a pain to polish again just for not being careful.

Elliott.lwy
05-10-2013, 10:04 PM
I have bought a huge pack of microfiber towels from Costco for cheap (~$20). Unfortunately they actually put fine scratches on my car. :nomore: Then I bought some MF towels from CG and I am happy with them. :props:

B-M-D
05-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Different people have different expectations. The only way to decide where you fit is to get some cheap ones and some good ones and decide for yourself. Price does not always equal quality.

The other thing is that some say there are certain MF towels (even expensive ones) that have scratched their paint. I've not experienced that so can't comment. Only point being, your paint might be a factor also (which again calls for experimenting on your part)

Microfiber towels are to detailers as clamps are to woodworkers. You can never have enough quantity or variety. They're one of the most basic tools.Yeah, I have a ton of microfibers. My question was more about quality.

Are the cobra microfibers, for example, much better than cheap ones?

Are cheap ones scratch more likely to scratch? Or is it the debris in the towels that scratch?

Pureshine
05-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Why shouldn't the cheap towels be used on paint?

They have a chance of marring the paint and I should've said buy quality towels. You can buy quality towels at a good price.

Durallymax
05-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I have a ton of microfibers. My question was more about quality.

Are the cobra microfibers, for example, much better than cheap ones?

Are cheap ones scratch more likely to scratch? Or is it the debris in the towels that scratch?

For simple tasks, the lesser quality ones work okay, however the amount of washes they survive may be more important than anything.

You can't seem to find the big thick plush ones for QDs and waterless washes anywhere but detailing stores.

I use a lot from MFtech. For real cheap stuff like wheels, I have used some from our dairy supply place as we use all MF towels for cleaning udders. We use over 3000 MF towels per day for milking. These are very cheap, but are not bad when new. Have to be careful with their border though, it can scratch. They also do not seem to last terribly long, but its not like they are using special procedures to care for them either.

JGcharger
05-10-2013, 11:47 PM
I have bought a huge pack of microfiber towels from Costco for cheap (~$20). Unfortunately they actually put fine scratches on my car. :nomore: Then I bought some MF towels from CG and I am happy with them. :props:

Which type of CG microfiber towels did you use?

JGcharger
05-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Remember, a good quality towel can scratch your paint as well if you don't carefully take care of them. I sometimes take about 2-5 mins per towel to take off debris stuck in the fibers that won't come off easily. IF you use that in your paint, then you are going to scratch your paint with debris stuck in your towel. That's why i always check my towel every time i wipe down something to check for anything stuck on them.

Just imagine you just finished polishing your paint and wiped down the polish with your towel just to see that you left small scratches everywhere >.<. Would be a pain to polish again just for not being careful.

I share your practice of taking some time to take off any littlw debris on my microfiber towel. Technique trumps product anytime, anyplace, anywhere...

WRXINXS
05-11-2013, 07:12 AM
Don't forget to wash all new towels before use. Even if they come sealed. Shake them outside first to remove most of the fuzzies as well. After they come out of the wash take a few seconds to examine each one for debris that will scratch you paint.

jimjc
05-11-2013, 08:05 AM
I`ve been using MF towels for many years. I probably have 40+ all different kinds. I don`t pay a lot for them, never more than $1 ea. and I have never seen one mark from a towel on any of my cars, frankly I think it`s a myth, now I`m not debating anyone here that may have had bad luck. But I`ve never had a problem.

Now if your towels are not washed well after or if you do not check for debris in them then it may be possible to leave marks. Spending mega dollars for MF towels IMO is a wast of money.

Kevin Cullen
05-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Can be paint dependant. Some paints are hard and some are soft and scratch if you look at them sideways. As others have stated, debris and also pressure on the towel can cause damage.