PDA

View Full Version : Have you guys heard of these tricks in detailing

Pages : [1] 2

zmanjohn
05-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Ok, I was approached by a very nice lady here at work. She handed me a business card. She says my husband is detailing cars and is looking for some new customers. So I started to ask her some questions, does he use the 2BM, how does he wipe the cars down, does he do paint correction or just wash and wax. Her comment was he does it all, he even wipes the door jams, almost laughed when she told me about the gravel parking lot and road leading in and out.
So i started and asked about what types of products doe s he use and where does he get them. Dollar General and he makes a lot of money doing so. Uses Greased Lightening, and others to wash interior, exterior and even got towels and wash mitts from them. The one that just killed me was when she told me that he says the "best" tire type of product to keep them nice and shinny is anti-freeze.
My jaw hit the ground. He does what, oh hey, he buys the cheap stuff or on sale, puts in spray bottles and your good to go.

Have any of you guys ever heard of this "Trick of the trade"? My thinking is that if those products worked so well, why do other companies like Meguiar's, Pinnacle, Wolfgang, etc... exist.

Oh well, Hope you all get a chuckle as I did. :cheers:

WAXOFF
05-10-2013, 03:36 PM
I've never heard of that one but when I was young and had very littel money but a nice 69 Super Bee I would use Coca Cola for tire dressing. It actually works pretty well in a pinch. It's always available and if you get thirsty while cleaning your car you can drink it.

thebamboo23
05-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Lol

Klasse Act
05-10-2013, 04:05 PM
When I was a teenager my neighbor suggested to me to try brake fluid on the tires to shine them up, LOL!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

zmanjohn
05-10-2013, 04:38 PM
I've never heard of that one but when I was young and had very littel money but a nice 69 Super Bee I would use Coca Cola for tire dressing. It actually works pretty well in a pinch. It's always available and if you get thirsty while cleaning your car you can drink it.

Yes, i have seen this one done, make them a little sticky, but your right it does work well.

When I was a teenager my neighbor suggested to me to try brake fluid on the tires to shine them up, LOL!

That is crazy. Put a little bit too much slings it all over the paint.. Wow.

sharpreflection
05-10-2013, 04:41 PM
A very old friend of mine who is in his 70s once told me they used to use prestone on tires back before they had products that were made as dressings. pretty crazy...

bootstrap
05-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Brake fluid is caustic.. Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

RTexasF
05-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Not a trick, just a hack.

scrubs147
05-10-2013, 08:42 PM
My (so-called) competition uses mop-n-glo on RV roofs for protection instead of 303 or Dicor Roof Gard. He also uses some sort of spray on wax on clear coats as well as gel coats.

VP Mark
05-10-2013, 08:55 PM
If he is making money good for him. Only a tiny tiny percentage of the auto detailing industry uses proper chemicals and technique anyway. There will always be hacks so at least he is paying his bills.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Detailing by M
05-10-2013, 09:04 PM
He's what we call a hack detailer

Rsurfer
05-10-2013, 09:07 PM
A very old friend of mine who is in his 70s once told me they used to use prestone on tires back before they had products that were made as dressings. pretty crazy...
Back then a black tire didn't matter..what matters is that your white walls were white.:props:

FUNX650
05-11-2013, 09:33 AM
The one that just killed me was when she told me that he says the "best" tire type of product to keep them nice and shinny is anti-freeze.

That silly husband of hers!!

{Doesn't he know that anti-freeze goes on the inside of tractor tires?}

:)

Bob

BillE
05-12-2013, 07:54 AM
That silly husband of hers!!

{Doesn't he know that anti-freeze goes on the inside of tractor tires?}

:)

Bob

Ahhhgh! Forgot all about those days...curthump-curthump-curthump...LOL.

Bill

vwfreak
05-12-2013, 08:37 AM
I was watching a detailer on a tv show and he was using motor oil for tires.