PDA

View Full Version : What are the best products for a Tuxedo Black F-150?

darknight6821
05-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I just bought a new 2013 Tuxedo Black Ford F-150 XLT model with the chrome everywhere. This is my first new car and I really want to take great care of it, but even after searching hours on end I have a hard time deciding on which products will be great for this truck. Could you all give me recommendations for shampoo, wax/sealant or both, chrome wheel cleaner, tire cleaner, window, and sponge/microfiber/or 100% cotton towel/mitt? I know this is a lot to ask so if anything, help me out with the wax/sealant situation as it seems to be the most divided. I live in Missouri where the heat will get absolutely insane soon and the winters can dive into the other end of the spectrum so I need something tough and versatile. I don't mind putting a couple extra hours of work in periodically but don't have the time to put hours on end in weekly. I am looking to bring out the shine of the metallic flake in the paint and look sharp. Thanks in advance.

Bunky
05-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Since Tuxedo Black Metallic never looks true black to me, you have two basic options. For maximum brightness and bling try Wolfgang Deep Paint Sealant. If your paint is in great shape, it will bling in the sun with an effect that looks like an additional layer of clear coat.

If you want more tame flake but strong gloss for a closer black, try something like BlackFire Wet Diamonds. It will have less of the rainbow effect.

ski2
05-10-2013, 06:48 PM
It seems that you are looking for something that will offer allot of protection and be durable so that you don't have to be tending to it all the time. If that's your goal you might want to consider Duragloss 105 sealant--reasonably priced, easy to use and lasts a good 4-6 months.

Another alternative would be Collinite 845 or 476 wax (again reasonably priced and easy to use). Most waxes only last a short while -- especially in the sun---but Collinite products also should give you a good 4-6 months.

If you wanted you could even put down a base of DG 105 then next morning add a coat of one of the Collinite waxes.

The trick with both is to apply a very thin coat, allow to haze then buffing off is very easy.

In either case, after every 2 or 3 washes add a coat of Duragloss Aquawax -- it's a spray on procuct that will help maintain the protection and only takes 15 minutes to do the entire car.

DG makes a great car shampoo, the Carpro Sheepskin Mitt is excellent and not too expensive, Wesley's Bleach White does a great job cleaning tires once or twice a year and you shouldn't need a wheel cleaner if you give them a coat of 105 or Collinite--just use your car shampoo.

Evan.J
05-10-2013, 07:01 PM
I agree with both Al and ski. If your looking for something thats going to offer a longer term protection then you will want to look at paint sealants.

They can be found here:Paint Sealants like Klasse, Wolfang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/was.html)

Just a hint Dp's poli-seal is on BOGO this week.:props:

darknight6821
05-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks guys. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll look into all of those now. Is it correct to think that a sealant will provide more of a deeper, darker look whereas a wax will provide more of a reflective, sparkle and shine? (I know an image like this is very hard to describe)

Evan.J
05-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Thanks guys. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll look into all of those now. Is it correct to think that a sealant will provide more of a deeper, darker look whereas a wax will provide more of a reflective, sparkle and shine? (I know an image like this is very hard to describe)

Shine and depth mostly come from the polishing of the paint prior to application of a wax or sealant. However you can get a more wet crisp look with a sealant and a more warm soft look with a pure carnuba wax.

darknight6821
05-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Ok, it seems like wax provides more of a natural look. If I were going to go that route, the Collinite seems like it would be a good option (possibly layered on sealant?).

Evan.J
05-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Ok, it seems like wax provides more of a natural look. If I were going to go that route, the Collinite seems like it would be a good option (possibly layered on sealant?).

Exactly. Collinite seems to be popular around here though I personally haven't tried it but plan too. Layering or topping as its called is fine just make sure you allow the sealant time to cure which is usually 12 hours. After that you can top the sealant with your wax.