PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Address Gas Spills On The Spot?

Pages : [1] 2

Whiplash Willy
05-10-2013, 02:36 PM
I live in Oregon where by law you can't pump your own gas.... I would say about 10% of the time the gas attendant manages to spill gas on my quarter panel while remove the nozzle.

Whats the best way to clean the gas spill on the spot, assuming you won't be able to clean it properly at home for atleast a day or 2?

I always keep a small bottle of Optimum Opti Clean and blue papertowels in my car in case of bird poop, ect....Would Opti Clean be good enough to use, or is there a better product out there to neutralize the gas?

Circa40
05-10-2013, 02:47 PM
I keep a small 2oz spray bottle of ONRWW and a small microfiber in a ziplock bag in my glove box for bird poop and accidental gas mishaps. It works well for me.

quantim0
05-10-2013, 03:09 PM
I keep a zip-loc in my glove box with a 2 oz bottle of Griots Waterless Wash and a microfiber. I don't use it a lot, but when I do I'm glad it's there.

Klasse Act
05-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Bust out the QD from the back and wipe it down RIGHT AWAY!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

banzaitoyota
05-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Waterless Wash, Microfiber followed by a spritz of Lucas Speed Shine

kimokalihi
05-10-2013, 07:13 PM
I keep a small 2oz spray bottle of ONRWW and a small microfiber in a ziplock bag in my glove box for bird poop and accidental gas mishaps. It works well for me.

That's a great idea! Thanks

Dadillac
05-10-2013, 07:25 PM
I live in NJ which is also a state that it is unlawful to pump your own gas. I remedied the gas spilling by finding a station that allows me to pump the gas myself. Gas attendants don't give a damn and spill gas, scratch your car with the gas cap, lean on your car (this boils my blood) and reinstall your cap incorrectly. So finding this station took some time but it is worth going there. But in a pinch you can always use the dirty windshield water. Just wet the squeegee and let the fluid run over the spill. Not the best but better than doing nothing

Don

mjd91
05-10-2013, 08:32 PM
I had no clue there were states that didn't allow you to pump your own fuel!
Are fuel prices higher in these places?

thebamboo23
05-10-2013, 11:09 PM
X2^.. Why cant you pump?

hernandez.art13
05-10-2013, 11:14 PM
X2^.. Why cant you pump?

Yeah? That's really bizarre...

Durallymax
05-10-2013, 11:19 PM
Never knew either, seems odd. Theres plenty of people I don't think are capable of simple tasks but still. Around here it seems every pump is pre pay no matter what so that eliminates the issue of drive-offs.

Do they check your oil and wash your windsheild too? Or am I thinking of what I see in the movies since I have never seen a gas station attendant in person.

Paul Mitchell
05-11-2013, 11:23 AM
X2^.. Why cant you pump?

New Jersey and Oregon are the only two states that mandate employees pump the gas as these two states thought it was dangerous for anybody else to do it.

jgg85234
05-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Once upon a time, having an attendant was the norm at gas stations throughout most of the country. My first job at 16 years old was as a pump attendant. We filled the car, washed the windows, and checked (or at least offered to) the oil. I was lucky enough to get to do service bay work (oil changes, tire repair/replacement, etc.) and the owner of the station put me through GM factory training as a mechanic. They were called Service Stations, and very few of the other specialized auto businesses we see today even existed.

It wasn't until I moved to Arizona at the end of 1975 that I was introduced to the concept of pump it yourself.

Jim

RTexasF
05-11-2013, 11:41 AM
New Jersey and Oregon are the only two states that mandate employees pump the gas as these two states thought it was dangerous for anybody else to do it.

I was aware of this but still rather amazed by it. With that ridiculous attitude I'm surprised people are allowed to shave themselves.

I know of no stations in my area that even offer an attendant to pump your gas at any price.

AutowerxDetailing
05-11-2013, 12:00 PM
I think the idea for not being able to pump your own gas is less to do with safety concerns and more to do with job creation. Thousands of jobs now exist that wouldn't have otherwise due to this legal mandate. I also find it convenient that I can sit and relax while I get a fill up. Although spills from careless attendants are annoying I have had very few problems with that.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online