PDA

View Full Version : Pickin' the kit...

Thomas_K
05-24-2007, 12:34 PM
After seeing the 15% discount AG now offers i can't hold back anymore. I have to order something.
I have a can of Megs NXT wash, a Megs clay kit and some yellow applicator pads. Other than that i need everything.

So here's what i have in my AG shopping cart at the moment:
AG Foam Gun
ShMITT yellow/white
ShMITT black
Megs Water magnet
12 pack of Cobra detailing cloths
Duragloss #101 and #105
Wolfgang Plastik Lens Cleaner Kit
Pinnacle Souveran Intro Kit

What i'm thinking:
Foam the car with Megs NXT wash in AG foam gun. Wash with two bucket method and ShMITTs.
Dry with Megs Water magnet. Apply 101 and 105 with yellow applicator pads.
Top the whole thing of with the Souveran wax from the Pinnacle kit.
Wolfgang lens kit for ...you guessed it, the lenses.

What i need you guys to do:
Pick out the inevitable flaws in my plan. Suggest additions to my cart.
Tell me i'm a dumb@ss and suggest a whole other set of items. You know.. help.

The car this will be primarily used on has a blue paint with no clear coat. The paint is not very good looking now,
and i also need some tips on how to restore it before using what i have in my cart.
I'm thinking paint cleaners and/or swirl removers that can be used with the other items i've chosen.
Reason for picking Duragloss is the durability i've heard so much about.
I live in Norway, so the cars see salted roads, asphalt dust, snow and high summer temperatures. I need something durable.

guidosrx8
05-24-2007, 12:49 PM
you could throw in some 303 for the vinyl and rubber. stuff works great. I picked some up the other day.

and a good quick detailer to add some pop as the last step. a lot of people here (from what I've read and my experience) like the meguire's QD. also I've had good results with the mother's too. hope this helped a little

supercharged
05-24-2007, 01:00 PM
NXT wash is strong. It clean well, but you will have your wax gone in a couple of washes, sealant in a few. I strongly suggest that you pick up some good soap, like Poorboy's SS&S, or Duragloss #901. Both work well in a foam gun and in the bucket. Just use a few ounces of soap in a foam gun (2-3), and add water to it.

I would also pick up some QD, like Poorboy's Spray and Wipe, or Duragloss AW (Don't use AW on dark vehicles, as it streaks).

Change Megs water magnet to Cobra Guzzler too. Cobra towels are much more softer then Meguiar's.

Thomas_K
05-24-2007, 01:26 PM
you could throw in some 303 for the vinyl and rubber. stuff works great. I picked some up the other day.

and a good quick detailer to add some pop as the last step. a lot of people here (from what I've read and my experience) like the meguire's QD. also I've had good results with the mother's too. hope this helped a little The Pinnacle kit has a Crystal Mist Detail spray to detail after laying down the wax. Do i need another QD or will this do?
The 303 won't be needed as the car has very few vinyl/plastic parts. I think i'll stick to buying products just for the paint this time. Thanks for the tip.

Thomas_K
05-24-2007, 01:30 PM
NXT wash is strong. It clean well, but you will have your wax gone in a couple of washes, sealant in a few. I strongly suggest that you pick up some good soap, like Poorboy's SS&S, or Duragloss #901. Both work well in a foam gun and in the bucket. Just use a few ounces of soap in a foam gun (2-3), and add water to it.

I would also pick up some QD, like Poorboy's Spray and Wipe, or Duragloss AW (Don't use AW on dark vehicles, as it streaks).

Change Megs water magnet to Cobra Guzzler too. Cobra towels are much more softer then Meguiar's. I did'nt know the NXT wash was that strong. The Duragloss 901 is sold out, so i added some PB SS&S to my cart.
Megs water magnet changed to Cobra Guzzler Combo Kit. ;)

klumzypinoy
05-24-2007, 02:39 PM
I remember Justin hasn't had problems with the NXT shampoo in terms of stripping wax/sealant :p

Truls
05-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Crystal mist will do.

As far as i know the NXT doesnt remove the protective layer, it just removes the slicknes of the paint (am i wrong here?).

Anyway, Poorboys SS&S kicks NXT`s a$$ any day imo.

Ive got the DP xtreme foam for the foam gun, works great.

supercharged
05-24-2007, 04:17 PM
I did'nt know the NXT wash was that strong. The Duragloss 901 is sold out, so i added some PB SS&S to my cart.
Megs water magnet changed to Cobra Guzzler Combo Kit. ;)
You'll be glad you did.

supercharged
05-24-2007, 04:19 PM
I remember Justin hasn't had problems with the NXT shampoo in terms of stripping wax/sealant :p
trust me, NXT wash is one of the strongest available out there. Citrus wash/gloss by Chemical Guys might be stronger though.

guidosrx8
05-24-2007, 04:31 PM
The Pinnacle kit has a Crystal Mist Detail spray to detail after laying down the wax. Do i need another QD or will this do?
The 303 won't be needed as the car has very few vinyl/plastic parts. I think i'll stick to buying products just for the paint this time. Thanks for the tip.

oh my bad. i forgot that the kit had the quick detailer... the crystal mist is good stuff. (anything with the name pinnacle on it is great stuff) glad you changed it to the guzzler kit... I have that on the way now.:righton:

Thomas_K
05-24-2007, 04:39 PM
About clay..
Are the diferent brands of clay lubricant "matched" to their respective brands of clay?
Or is it just mix'n'match? (got a hold of some yellow gum-like clay...)

ScottB
05-24-2007, 04:48 PM
make sure if doing Pinnacle to get both Crystal Mist (cleanups) and the new Souveran Spray Wax (booster) product.

Truls
05-24-2007, 04:51 PM
Mix and match works with clay.

What clay do you have? brand?

Thomas_K
05-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Souveran Spray Wax added. Thanks killr.

Truls, the clay is something called Riccardo Clay.

Truls
05-24-2007, 06:28 PM
OK

If you got swirls to remove, the XMT line works well (1, 2, 3 or 4 and 360 too) Meguiars MG 83 is for DAs too (more dusty) , use it either with the PorterCable 7424 and a transformer for Norway w. Or you can get the blue 2 headed DA type at biltema in Norway (299,-kr), just get some cyclo pads here at AG and throw those pads that comes with the machibe (or use em when aplying sealer or wax) it works well.