PDA

View Full Version : Wax harmful to paint??

TH3M B0N3Z
05-09-2013, 04:19 PM
I was Googling some random detailing questions and one of them was, "Is it alright to wax a brand new car?" People always say there's no point in waxing a "brand new" car because the paint is so new. Makes no sense to me and I actually find it very important to wax or seal the paint while it's new, but still cured, of course.

So as I was searching, I found a topic about waxing a brand new car. Someone's response to this question went along the lines of...

"Wax is a natural contaminant to paint and causes rust. Heavily waxed paint on cars tends to start rusting prematurely, especially around the areas where water collects. Wax or sealant is best for old paint."

This makes absolutely no sense to me at all. I know paint shouldn't be sealed when it's still in the process of curing, but once paint is cured, I've always understood that it's perfectly fine to go to town with the waxing or sealing process. I'm not sure why people are under the impression that a new car doesn't need wax. To me, it's the most crucial point in the paint's life... get it waxed or sealed now and start protecting the paint immediately.

Your thoughts, Autogeeks?

AeroCleanse
05-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Not sure where you saw that stuff but its not true. The only time where you can't wax a car is on uncured paint.

TH3M B0N3Z
05-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Not sure where you saw that stuff but its not true. The only time where you can't wax a car is on uncured paint.

Found that asinine answer on Yahoo! Answers, lol.

I like to search around and see other people's opinions on detailing. For some reason, I actually like to see the wrong things people do while detailing, not only so I can point it all out, but also to kind of learn what not to do. :laughing:

KennyS
05-09-2013, 04:36 PM
When i worked for the body shop, the rule of thumb was no wax for 90 days on fresh paint.

TH3M B0N3Z
05-09-2013, 04:41 PM
When i worked for the body shop, the rule of thumb was no wax for 90 days on fresh paint.

What I'm getting at is the dork who said waxing new paint in general, even when cured, is a bad idea and is not good for the paint. Makes no damn sense.

AeroCleanse
05-09-2013, 05:01 PM

That's true, most cars from the factory are already cured.

Evan.J
05-09-2013, 05:08 PM
See the things you can find from uneducated people on the internet! Reminds me of the state farm commercial.:nomore:

For freshly painted cars, not waxes, sealants, or coating for at least 60 days. You can however you can you any body shop safe polish for protection in the time after your car has been painted.

As for the question yep wax is best for protection.

FUNX650
05-09-2013, 05:28 PM
I personally don't see where waxes that are formulated for vehicle care can be harmful to paint-films...
or even to the underlying metal substrates protected by paint-films.

Those manufacturers/Chemists/formulators that would intentionally
do otherwise, probably would not be able to stay in business for long.

After all...
Auto-Waxes, especially those that are infused with "oils", assist quite handily
in keeping at bay several of the necessary elements that cause corrosion/"harm":
-An electrolyte
-Oxygen

On a related note:
I think that if there's any "harm" that may be considered a causation from waxes...

It is the "harm" to gluteal-muscles when they pucker-up as a result of the garnered information of some waxes
extraordinarily expensive price-points, (that are received by ones optic nerves); and, thusly, being relayed via
nerve synapses from the brain through the body's nerve-network to ones referenced above: "Bottom-line".

At least that's how it is for me!!

:D

Bob