PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Pinnacle Foam Applicator??

HardLineDetail
05-09-2013, 08:34 AM
I use Pinnacle Foam Wax Applicator- Great applicators- Great results! (http://www.autogeek.net/pinfoamwaxap1.html) to apply wax or sealant on tight spots but i have a hard time cleaning them. No matter how much i clean them, they have the residue left inside the sponge. I have DPs detailers microfiber that works great on pads and microfiber and it cleans the oils and product off the pads and towels but can't seem to fully clean the foam applicator. What do i do? I don't wanna be throwing each after each use, even though they are dirt cheap.

swanicyouth
05-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Only thing I've found to clean them 100%. Is mineral spirits. But someone is probably going to tell you Dawn, so try that first.

BobbyG
05-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Only thing I've found to clean them 100%. Is mineral spirits. But someone is probably going to tell you Dawn, so try that first.

Doesn't that work great!! :props:

I do the same thing with I'm using Collinite 845 or similar waxes....:dblthumb2:

swanicyouth
05-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Doesn't that work great!! :props:

I do the same thing with I'm using Collinite 845 or similar waxes....:dblthumb2:

Surprisingly, one of the hardest waxes for me to get out of an applicator is Souverän.

HardLineDetail
05-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Also, menzerna 4500 is hard to take off from pads. The black stain stays there regardless of what i do. Cleaning my pads as we speak.

swanicyouth
05-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Also, menzerna 4500 is hard to take off from pads. The black stain stays there regardless of what i do. Cleaning my pads as we speak.

I guess I never noticed because I always use it with a black pad. What pad(s) did it stain?

HardLineDetail
05-09-2013, 12:53 PM
White 4 inch cyclo pads. But today i used 5 inch black pads and they got cleaned well :D.

RMM
05-09-2013, 06:55 PM
I use the washing machine and they always come out great. Just don't mix different colours or you will end up with a bunch of customized applicators... :D (ask me how I know!)

poweraid
05-09-2013, 10:11 PM
I try to clean the best I can with dawn and apc . i really have to squeeze the crap out though . I label them and bag em, use them only for each specific lsp . I'll have to try the mineral spirits . others can say there cheap , just toss em ... , I'll try to save a little money to reuse them so I can buy more stuff I don't need .

spiralout462
05-09-2013, 10:44 PM

:iagree: I learned this method from Swanic and I haven't looked back! I soak in mineral spirits (overnight usually). Then agitate and soak in Snappy Pad Cleaner solution. After it's spotless I rinse repeatedly to make sure all the residue is flushed out. I just told my wife last night "I can't believe people throw these things out after one use". My used applicators look, feel and perform as good as new!

jgg85234
05-09-2013, 10:54 PM
In my line of work (and I think everyone else's) time is money.
I clean the Flex pads with APC and Snappy Clean.

I've been getting the Meguiar's applicator pads for $1.10 each.

Anyone considered how much they're spending on the cleaning products, let alone their time, to get those things wrung out?

I'd say, toss 'em.

Buy the Pinnacle ones in the 24 pack.

Jim

HardLineDetail
05-09-2013, 11:06 PM
I did get the 24 pack, it's just that if i toss am around and need to order more it takes more than 7 days to get here in california. Im going to try the mineral spritis method.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using AG Online

Dr_Pain
05-10-2013, 08:34 AM
I do agree that there is a cost/benefit ratio to consider, but my little experiment (and the review below) used a total of $0.10 worth of detergent in which I cleaned 4 applicators.... and I could have cleaned a lot more applicators in my 5 gallon bucket (2 gallons of hot water).

:checkit:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/64110-review-part-deux-homemade-soap-wax-applicators.html

HardLineDetail
05-11-2013, 12:22 AM
Nice, i am doing this tomorrow and see how it goes.