PDA

View Full Version : PC vibration

NissanOwner
05-28-2006, 06:01 AM
I was using my PC today and it seemed I had a lot of vibration. I had changed from a 6" backplate to a 5" backplate. It was screwed on correctly. Any ideas.
Thanks

ScottB
05-28-2006, 07:11 AM
You will feel some vibration and your hands will itch if you use it at high speeds. Just make sure the pad is oscillating when on the finish. 5 inch backing plate should only be used with smaller pads and the polishing head that came with the 7424, for any larger pads stick with the 6 inch model.

NissanOwner
05-28-2006, 07:13 PM
You will feel some vibration and your hands will itch if you use it at high speeds. Just make sure the pad is oscillating when on the finish. 5 inch backing plate should only be used with smaller pads and the polishing head that came with the 7424, for any larger pads stick with the 6 inch model.

I was using a 6" plate with 6.5" pads and decided I needed something a little smaller because the curves in the car so I got a 5" plate and was using it with 5" pads and 6.5" pads. The 5" plate was okay the first time I used it but when I switched back this time, it was vibrating more than usual or atleast I think it was especially with the 6.5"pads.

Kelso
05-28-2006, 07:17 PM
mine has always sounded a little weird to me... kind of like its knocking or rattling... it seems like it shouldnt sound like that but i just finally had to ask if thats normal or if it should just be a smooth sound

and i posted in another thread that the engine gets very hot after not too long at all...takes a while to cool down too

was i supposed to change the weight that it came with? it has one inside but my girlfriend ordered the "suggested" counterweight too which looks to be the same size..###?

ScottB
05-28-2006, 09:24 PM
weights are marked 5 and 6. Pretty much you will use 6 all the time unless going to smaller pads. The unit gets hot quickly but does not translate (or should not) to the backing plate. Mine sounds like a sander on high. PSSSSSSSSWWWWWWWWWWWWW !!!!!!

Kelso
05-28-2006, 09:33 PM
no it doesnt go to the plate, just my right hand usually lol

both weights say use 6 inch pad only

ScottB
05-28-2006, 09:36 PM
both weights say use 6 inch pad only

Sounds like you bought a 7336 versus a 7424. The 7336 (commonly sold at Lowes) is setup as a sander/polisher and comes with the larger counterweight.

Kelso
05-29-2006, 09:28 AM
whatever comes with the xmt porter cable kit.... im pretty sure its the 7424

thanks again for that video link you sent me:righton:

flatstick
05-29-2006, 09:37 AM
I was using a 6" plate with 6.5" pads and decided I needed something a little smaller because the curves in the car so I got a 5" plate and was using it with 5" pads and 6.5" pads. The 5" plate was okay the first time I used it but when I switched back this time, it was vibrating more than usual or atleast I think it was especially with the 6.5"pads.

Check to make sure the pad is centered perfectly. have tested this and it does make it better. I have always used a 5 inch backing plate and never had any major vibration issues. also might I suggest a looser grip on the PC ? I use to run a 100lb jackhammer for 6 years and you would be suprised at how less of a beating your forearms take using a lighter grip. just a suggestion, take it for what it is worth.

INMY01TA
05-29-2006, 10:22 AM
mine has always sounded a little weird to me... kind of like its knocking or rattling... it seems like it shouldnt sound like that but i just finally had to ask if thats normal or if it should just be a smooth soundI always thought mine sounded a little funny too. I got lots of power tools but just didn't think it sounded/felt right. I guess it's just the nature of the beast.

abrcrombe
06-01-2006, 01:46 PM
The same for me, the vibrations make my arms a little tired after a while. Any one else have this problem? Maybe I'm just too weak.:(

BlackCoupe
06-01-2006, 02:55 PM
A lot less vibration with the Edge 2000 pads, IMHO

Surfer
06-01-2006, 03:25 PM
A lot less vibration with the Edge 2000 pads, IMHONight and day difference between the Edges and hook/loop etc. :awesome: