PDA

View Full Version : Fading Paint? Oxidation? Polish or sealant to prevent?

Antihero47
05-08-2013, 04:21 PM
I have a 2007 Nissan Titan pickup and when seeing many on the road I notice that the top of the hood gets a sort of clearcoat fade or the paint starts to fade. I'm pretty new to the detailing world but wanted to ask if there is any product or ingredient that would prevent this.

Example..
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/attachments/detailing-truck-care/157275d1362692310-2006-galaxy-black-paint-fading-123.jpg

Are there UV blocking products, do all waxes already have them in there? Can someone explain what this is and how it happens? I just want to take steps if any to keep this from happening. I tried searching but the things I put in didn't bring anything up.

Thanks.

Evan.J
05-08-2013, 05:01 PM
I have a 2007 Nissan Titan pickup and when seeing many on the road I notice that the top of the hood gets a sort of clearcoat fade or the paint starts to fade. I'm pretty new to the detailing world but wanted to ask if there is any product or ingredient that would prevent this.

Example..
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/attachments/detailing-truck-care/157275d1362692310-2006-galaxy-black-paint-fading-123.jpg

Are there UV blocking products, do all waxes already have them in there? Can someone explain what this is and how it happens? I just want to take steps if any to keep this from happening. I tried searching but the things I put in didn't bring anything up.

Thanks.
Are you talking about the hood or the roof? Looks like clear coat failure on the roof if that what I'm seeing. Only thing would be a repaint to fix it. If its a 07 I would check to see if the warranty still covers that.

BlackHawk
05-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Are you talking about the hood or the roof? Looks like clear coat failure on the roof if that what I'm seeing. Only thing would be a repaint to fix it. If its a 07 I would check to see if the warranty still covers that.

I think he means how to prevent that, as in the pic is not his car, just an example.

Antihero47
05-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Correct, picture is not of my truck. I meant the roof. I'm wondering if UV damage is the main culprit and if so do waxes and sealants have UV protection?

spiralout462
05-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Yes. Paint needs protection and regular maintenance. As far as UV in particular, it's hard to sort out all the marketing hype amongst manufacturers.

William D.
05-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Waxes and sealants will slow the paint failure. It could perhaps be argued that if one always kept wax on the car, the paint could last the life of the vehicle, but I do not have any factual evidence for this.

I have two neighbors.

One, has a 2003 Lincoln Town Car. The other, a 2006 Jeep Commander.

The Town Car and Commander have sat outside their entire lives. The Town Car receives no attention whatsoever. In fact, I'm sure the rims still have some brake dust from 2003 on them. The Jeep is washed when it needs it with dish soap. It is waxed from time to time.

The Town Car (if washed and detailed) could still pass for a 2-3 year old car. The same can be said of the Jeep. The Jeep is in worse shape (fading plastics and such) than the Lincoln, which receives no care.

Go figure.