PDA

View Full Version : Service Menu Pricing?.. Or not?...

Seth@NWCDetailing
05-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Hey fellow agians.

I just read an article from a detailing magazine stating that one way to set up prices is to just have a service menu with estimated hours and no pricing. I would state that I charge $45/hr to the customers and where people can see, but there would be no starting prices or anything.

Do you think that this would be a benefit for customers so they don't get too confused about pricing and just allow them to pick a service that you recommend easier?

Would very much appreciate feedback, Thanks.

FinishingTouchA
05-08-2013, 11:21 AM
This year I began my detailing business and you just made me think about something. Every time I hand someone a business card they ask what I charge. And I always have a hard time figuring out what to say. Just charging a flat rate per hour sounds like a great idea.
My question for those who have been in the business for years.. Do you charge different rates for interior, exterior, paint correction, etc?

Pureshine
05-08-2013, 11:34 AM
I know people who do it both ways and are very successful just depends what works for you. I have starting prices for everything I make anywhere from 25-45 hour just depends on the job.

draven1018
05-08-2013, 11:39 AM
I have also been wondering about this. I am in the process of starting this on the side(after work & days off) but I don't know what or how to charge so I am interested in hearing answers to this also

Mike Burke
05-08-2013, 12:44 PM
I have been doing customer car for a year or so...I always get that question to...How Much ?

I do this as a hobby and pocket money so...I would like to get $20 per hr but I don't want to scare customers off so I have backed off to $15 to $18 per hr.....I'm just doing production work. My customers just want clean and shiny.

I'm just learning and getting a lot more efficient with the tools that I have....

I am at a point trying to get the new and past customers to do a maintenance wash to keep things looking good..

jrs1418
05-08-2013, 02:03 PM
Just because you say "$20/hour" doesn't mean you answered they're question, because they're going to want to know how much work you can do in an hour, and then of course it all depends once again on how dirty, and what exactly they expect to get cleaned.

Then of course, what if they thinking you're moving too slow? WWho's keeping time? What if u need a break to drink some water?

For my business, when people ask how much I say "Our basic exterior package is $XX and goes up depending on what you need done"

Seth@NWCDetailing
05-08-2013, 03:00 PM
This year I began my detailing business and you just made me think about something. Every time I hand someone a business card they ask what I charge. And I always have a hard time figuring out what to say. Just charging a flat rate per hour sounds like a great idea.
My question for those who have been in the business for years.. Do you charge different rates for interior, exterior, paint correction, etc?

I know people who do it both ways and are very successful just depends what works for you. I have starting prices for everything I make anywhere from 25-45 hour just depends on the job.

I have also been wondering about this. I am in the process of starting this on the side(after work & days off) but I don't know what or how to charge so I am interested in hearing answers to this also

IMO I think this gives us the business owner a better opportunity to inform the customer exactly what you are doing to their vehicle and how the value of our work stands out above the rest. It seems if a customer sees our prices they might think "oh thats too high" and then the window for the sales opportunity has been closed. If they don't see a price then that gives us a chance to explain to them the value of our service and the procedure that goes along with it.
Agreed, everybody has their own system that works. This might be mine.lol

I have been doing customer car for a year or so...I always get that question to...How Much ?

I do this as a hobby and pocket money so...I would like to get $20 per hr but I don't want to scare customers off so I have backed off to $15 to $18 per hr.....I'm just doing production work. My customers just want clean and shiny.

I'm just learning and getting a lot more efficient with the tools that I have....

I am at a point trying to get the new and past customers to do a maintenance wash to keep things looking good..

Just because you say "$20/hour" doesn't mean you answered they're question, because they're going to want to know how much work you can do in an hour, and then of course it all depends once again on how dirty, and what exactly they expect to get cleaned.

Then of course, what if they thinking you're moving too slow? WWho's keeping time? What if u need a break to drink some water?

For my business, when people ask how much I say "Our basic exterior package is and goes up depending on what you need done"

That's the value of a sales pitch.
The pitch allows you to explain to the customer what you are doing and the packages you offer. For every package there is an estimated service time and depending on the condition of the vehicle then I would choose the proper package after inspection based on what the vehicle needed done.
Then depending on what the customers needs are, then I would offer a package to fit what satisfies them. I would ask if they would like any other services done, if they said "no", we would move on to the previously mentioned services.

The fact is that we are providing the service so its our job to inspect the vehicle and explain how to restore its appearance. We are the experts and we know what the car needs. Its like going to a mechanic and telling the mechanic whats wrong with the car.

There's a lot of different ways to operate a detailing business. I'm just trying to find what works for me.

rustytruck
05-08-2013, 03:33 PM
I suggest you give them a ballpark idea. The reason someone goes to a website is for more information. What is the point of a website if it isn't helping the customers get the info they need?

Seth@NWCDetailing
05-08-2013, 03:46 PM
I suggest you give them a ballpark idea. The reason someone goes to a website is for more information. What is the point of a website if it isn't helping the customers get the info they need?

No question about that, but more than half of the customers who contact me it seems they always ask "How much for this, How much for that?"
I have starting prices right now on my website, but it seems like they don't bother looking at them and once I do tell them, they hesitate... I guess that's why I like the importance of explaining the value of my work in regards to my prices.
I'm getting pretty in depth with this, but its only because I'm trying to run a successful business.

I appreciate the feedback I have been getting. Thank you :props:

Mike Burke
05-08-2013, 03:54 PM
There are a lot of variables.....I don't tell my customers what I charge an hr.

I always do a walk around and take a look at the outside and inside .

I ask them what they want and get an assessment of what's important to them.....and then Kindof adjust the price from there.

But getting experience and more efficient saves time and makes it a lot more enjoyable......and happy customer's.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

Pureshine
05-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Not everyone charges the same price every area is different and Yes my new customers still ask my prices even though they have been to my website. My prices are higher than the other guys in my area but my work shows why. It's really what ever works for your business I know when I go to a website I want to know prices when I'm looking for a service.

Seth@NWCDetailing
05-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Not everyone charges the same price every area is different and Yes my new customers still ask my prices even though they have been to my website. My prices are higher than the other guys in my area but my work shows why. It's really what ever works for your business I know when I go to a website I want to know prices when I'm looking for a service.

I agree 100%.
How often do customers contact you and not end up using your service?
I've gotten quite a few calls, but when I explain my price and procedure over the phone or email..they say I don't know if I want to spend that much or they hang up on me. I guess I'm not attracting the right customers just yet.lol

jrs1418
05-08-2013, 10:34 PM
I also think charging by the hour can undervalue more skillful jobs or jobs that require the use of specialized tools. Maybe if you're doing just car washes or basic detailing, but like paint corrections, headlight restores, rim polishing, scratch removal, etc take more skill and may require more expensive products and equipment. I would no way take $20 an hour for a polish job. But i got rent and employees to pay =(