PDA

View Full Version : 4 inch BP or 4 3/8 BP

bill5416
05-08-2013, 08:13 AM
I'm sure there have been several threads about this but I'm having difficulty finding a good explanation. Why is the LC 4 inch backing plate preferred for the 5 inch Hybrid pads versus the Flex 4 3/8 backing plate? I'm thinking in most cases I'd prefer an OEM product. Can someone help me understand?

cplchris
05-08-2013, 08:19 AM
the way i see it is that you're about to spend money on an extra backing platefor a tool you just paid 350 or 400 for, why not get the most versatile bp available, not only will the 4" bp run a 5" pad well and safely, but you could even drop down to a 4" pad if you need too

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-08-2013, 08:33 AM
The hybrid pad line was made for the 3401 and thus the 5 inch hybrid pad has a perfect 4 inch backing material on the pad itself allowing for a perfect fitment to the 4 inch interchangeable backing plate system.

If your worried about going OEM, LC makes the FLEX branded polishing pads... So im sure LC works hand in hand with FLEX with the backing plates and pads.

DetailedByPrecision
05-08-2013, 10:48 AM
A 4 inch bp will snugly fit a 4 inch pad and hug it's outer diameter better compared to a 4 3/8 bp. The purpose of finding the right size bp for the appropriate size pad is to be able to maximize the entire pad performance, which includes the edging technique. Another feature is product safety. You don't want the bp to be bigger than the pad because once the bp starts spinning and it catches something, it will leave a mark behind, or worse, a scratch.

BuffaloBill
11-13-2015, 03:34 AM
So the Lake 4" is OK to use over the Flex 4 3/8"? I keep reading about durability issues. I'd like to use 4"-5.5" pads on my 3401 DA and have no clue what parts I need to order.

VISITOR
11-13-2015, 04:07 AM
the 4" backing plate for the flex is to be used with 4" pads that have hook & loop (velcro) all the way across the whole diameter of the pad (will sit flush as shown in the video below) and the 5" hybrid pads have 4" of velcro as well. if you want to use 5.5" pads then you will need the 4 3/8 backing plate (shown in the pic below with a 5.5" pad) which will give you a little cushion inside the velcro...

[ame]youtube.com/watch?v=jQEGQZpua7Q[/video]
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/flex-xc3401-mini-backing-plate.gif

BuffaloBill
11-14-2015, 04:51 AM
I picked up both backing plates today. Bought 5.5s for the Flex and 4 inchers for the Flex System.