PDA

View Full Version : Oxidation on a 95 Mustang

soupie08
05-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Hi everyone. I am a new member to the forum, and this is my first post.

My wife has a 95 Mustang (color blue) that has some moderate oxidation throughout the vehicle. It was given to her as a gift in high school from her grandmother, and now sits in the driveway through the winter with a cover on it. When spring begins in Pa, we take off the cover and clean it up so she can drive it from time to time. It is a sentimental vehicle to her, so it will be with us for ever. Our two main vehicles are in the garage, so this will remain in the driveway.

I was looking to try to really restore the paint as much as possible now that spring is here, and was wondering what products I should use to clean it up. I do not have a buffer, so obviously I polish/wax everything by hand.

I have been reading through the forum quite a bit, and am wondering what products I should use to restore it. I have the PB SSR1 & SSR2, as well as their pro polish, natty blue, and EX-P sealant. I also have Klasse AIO & Sealant, and the Duragloss 501,105 & 601 & AW. I also have a couple of other waxes and sealants that I have bought from this site. Is there any combination of the above products that I should use first, or is there something else that you guys recommend that I should try? Until now, we have only used OTC Meguiars waxes, and havent really ever tried to remove the oxidation. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

74 thing
05-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Too bad you do not have an orbital to use and are doing it by hand. With the products listed I would use the Duragloss and use a microfiber applicator. I would do the 501 & 601 with the 4:1 ratio using the microfiber applicator. Then I would top it with the 105 and 601 with teh 4:1 ratio using a foam applicator. Let set up and remove with a microfiber towel. Then follow up with aquawax.

Always do a small square test spot though and if they are not the results you want you will need to change your strategy.

parkerslade
05-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Always do a small square test spot though and if they are not the results you want you will need to change your strategy.

:whs:

soupie08
05-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Thanks. How long should I wait after the 501 & 601 before topping with the 105 & 601? I have read through the forums on this topic, and it seems there are differing opinions on that.

Also, if this doesn't do the trick, is there anything else you would recommend. If I had to spend an extra couple of bucks for the right product, I don't mind. It would still have to be done by hand though, I will need to put a little aside for an orbital. Thanks!

EPonelli
05-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Honestly, if you are looking for real results in removing oxidation and defects, your best bet it to pick up an D/A polisher.

They are not overly expensive and learning how to use one is very easy.

There are also a lot of great videos online from AutoGeek and others alike showing how to effectively use a variety of D/A polishers like the pc7424xp, gg6 and g110v2.

If your budget is really a factor, you could even pick up the Harbor Freight version D/A, which surprisingly isn't a bad machine for only 60 bucks.

In reality, trying to finish out a car by hand is not as practical as putting in anywhere from ~100-175 dollars on a D/A, some pads, and compound/ polish. Considering you said you have 2 other vehicles as well, you could really be making a good investment.

If you are intimidated by using a machine to correct/polish your finish, don't be. I would look under Mike P's threads about the different polishers and it can help really inform you of how they work, how to use them, what products to use with them, and how safe they really are.

You will probably be amazed at the results you can achieve by just watching a few videos online. It may encourage you to pick one up.

Vegas Transplant
05-07-2013, 10:25 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/28519-benefits-light-paint-cleaner-cleansing-lotion-pre-wax-cleaner.html