PDA

View Full Version : First time wet sanding and buffing

Red Lehr
05-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Hello all ! After watching hours of video of Mike and crew, I purchased all my materials from AG and got started practicing.I am using a rear fender off a Chevy truck that has been damaged,so the contours were a little awkward,but buff-able.I started wet sanding with 1000 grit,then 1500 grit,3000 grit,then I went to a foam wool pad with the Menzerna FG 400. Then I used a white Lake C. pad with Menzerna SI 1500 polish. I would of used the Menzerna SF 4000 but I forgot to order it !

This was my first attempt at all of this detailing stuff and I thought it turned out ok. On my first try at wet sanding, the sandpaper scratched the paint somehow,not good.I hope you can see the difference in the paint from one pic to another.

The first picture is the before sanding,etc.
second and third picture is the after sanding and buffing.

Thanks for all your time and info Mike, you and everyone really make a difference when we need help!!!

Ray@Autogeek
05-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Great job!! Good idea practicing on a practice panel first. No more orange peel! :xyxthumbs:

BobbyG
05-07-2013, 06:42 PM
WOW, I'm impressed!

Great idea practicing on a damaged quarter and now at least that section looks great!! :props:

As a side note; I used Menzerna FG-400 for the first time last Saturday and was SHOCKED at how nicely it finished with my rotary machine....Gorgeous! :props:

Mike Phillips
05-08-2013, 06:28 AM
Thanks for all your time and info Mike, you and everyone really make a difference when we need help!!!

No problemo... it's always a pleasure to help others. Wetsanding is an art form to do it right and I admire anyone willing to give it a try...

I have more wetsanding projects coming up than I have time but I'm hoping to capture some of them on video...

As a side note; I used Menzerna FG-400 for the first time last Saturday and was SHOCKED at how nicely it finished with my rotary machine....Gorgeous!

It does finish down very nicely for a compound. Seems like eons ago but it was just a few months since I used it as a one-step on a 1957 Chevy. The 57 Chevy was damaged and has since been repainted, I need to check with the owner to see what's up with the new paint job.

:)