PDA

View Full Version : business start up.

andy2485
05-07-2013, 12:03 PM
I was wondering what some of you did to start up your businesses. I have a full time detailing job at a dealership, but have started doing jobs on the side. Im able to use the shop I work at, I provide my own chemicals and tools. I'm currently charging well bellow my list prices for first time customers. Good idea? Any other input would be great!
... also I'm doing this for more extra pocket money. Good idea?
Thanks.

jeffredo
05-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Never lower your prices to much to where your not making money or make sure the customers know it's a special offer so they won't expect it the next time, it's all an advertising game the general people don't know much about detailing I get people coming to my shop all day saying they want a detail like it means something specific when it's a broad field in this business you have to be a salesman to sell your details and explain why they need it and the benefits so on ,but what im trying to get to is as long as they know you detail and your prices are fair and semi competitive with the people in your town then it's fairly easy to get customers , keep in mind tho it takes months to get enough customer base to actually support yourself

On an extra note be careful if you mess up a car while its at the dealership chances are they will cover you but if you mess it up under only your hands things can get real expensive real quick business liability insurance is a must

ObsessiveAutoDetail
05-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Never lower your prices to much to where your not making money or make sure the customers know it's a special offer so they won't expect it the next time, it's all an advertising game the general people don't know much about detailing I get people coming to my shop all day saying they want a detail like it means something specific when it's a broad field in this business you have to be a salesman to sell your details and explain why they need it and the benefits so on ,but what im trying to get to is as long as they know you detail and your prices are fair and semi competitive with the people in your town then it's fairly easy to get customers , keep in mind tho it takes months to get enough customer base to actually support yourself

On an extra note be careful if you mess up a car while its at the dealership chances are they will cover you but if you mess it up under only your hands things can get real expensive real quick business liability insurance is a must

Liability insurance will not cover damage to a vehicle. You need "garage keepers" coverage. That actually covers damage to a customer's vehicle while in your care.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

jeffredo
05-07-2013, 02:31 PM
I stand corrected I meant business insurance in general some places won't let you work on their property without liability Obsessive is right , me personally I have $40,000 in garage keepers but I've never had to use it

Pureshine
05-07-2013, 02:45 PM
I started mine part out of my garage and when I was booked 3 months out went full time. I still do everything out of my garage no over head and keeps my cost way down. Yes you will need insurance mine is only $28 for 600k in garage keepers mine is a large amount because some of the cars I do are worth more than my house lol.

andy2485
05-07-2013, 05:45 PM
did any of you not put the money you made back into the business? as of now its not really going directly back. its more to help pay bills and whatnot. I'm honestly scared to really advertise because im fairly confident I could get to the point where I wouldn't be able to handle it. I only have the garage really one day a week, and maybe a few nights. As of now I cannot work out of my house. Obviously not all do-it-yourself car washes are the same, but have any of you had to do your washing out of one?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

jeffredo
05-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Well I started using my garage at first but eventually grew enough to afford more and hire help, I've made all the money I put in back and then so much more, we'll if you do good work your customers will recommend you so, if its a problem not having the garage you can always ask the customer to use their garage if they have it free , about the do-it-yourself wash no not really you should read up on Waterless car washing if you don't have water access or a pressure washer, plus you can say your environmentally friendly and alot of people like that, if you have a truck/van you can also consider a mobile detailing rig, it all depends on your situation I suppose

andy2485
05-09-2013, 06:18 PM
What ways did you find to cut costs? material, scheduling, equipment, etc. thanks

Pureshine
05-09-2013, 07:07 PM
The best way to save money is to buy bulk and gallon sizes of product and for equipment I only buy quality stuff I can afford it to break down on me.