PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar XF Complete Detail

XJL
05-07-2013, 10:21 AM
The original owner of this 2012 XF faithfully took it to the car wash where it could get scratched and marred on a weekly basis. After evaluating the condition of the paint with a swirl light and different angles, I decided to do a complete three step paint correction followed by a glaze, followed by a sealant, and a wax. I did this over the span of 3 days.

First the wheels, wheelwells, and tires were cleaned with Advantage (an all purpose citrus based cleaner).

XJL
05-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Next the car was rinsed with water and foamed down with a foam gun. I used Dawn Dishwashing Soap to remove the wax and other debris on the finish using the two bucket method with a microfiber wash sponge.

XJL
05-07-2013, 10:24 AM
I then pulled it in the gargage and clayed it while it was wet. I used Griot's Garage Spray Wax as my clay lubricant. As you can see, the car had a significant amount of contamination. The debris you see in the clay was after only doing the hood!

Next, I taped off all of the areas I did not want polish to creep into.

XJL
05-07-2013, 10:26 AM
I used the Griot's Garage Dual Action Orbital Polishers. I used both the 6 inch and the 3 inch DA's. I also used a swirl finder light to identify problem areas. To polish, I used Griot's Orange Pads and Hex-Logic Orange Pads from Chemical Guys.

The back trunk area had several badly scratched areas(see pictures). However, I kept working on the area and got rid of them all. There were a few other areas that I had identified and I focused on knocking these out prior to doing the rest of the car. This took a REALLY long time with the DA!! Now I know why guys use the Flex........this was a real PITA.

Then after doing a test spot in a 2 x 2 section of the worst area, I tried using different line up of CG compounds to see what would work. I initially used V36 but it did not cut the marring. I then tried V34 and saw very little difference unless I made 8-10 passess. So, I ended up using Chemical Guys V32, V36, and V38 on the entire car with the results pictured below.

The V32 dusted moderately, V36 very minimal and V38 not at all. Overall, the CG line up worked well.

XJL
05-07-2013, 10:29 AM
I next used Manzerna's Finishing Glaze 115C and the Manzerna Poly Lock Polymer Sealant. I used Griot's Red Pads to apply them both. The shine and reflection was really good! The final step was a coat of Pinnacle Souveran Wax. The Manzerna Sealant was increadibly easy to work with, both to apply and wipe off. Completely effortless.....I was really impressed!

XJL
05-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Next I cleanded the door, hood, trunk jambs. I also dressed the wheels.

Here is the finished car after 32 hours of work.

I would really appreciate any constructive criticism and what I could have done better, differently, or more efficiently.

Pureshine
05-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Looks great nice work :)

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Looking good.

Make a thread with all of your information in one post instead of 6 posts. This way it is more streamlined.