PDA

View Full Version : Just Detailed my Car. Many questions!

Soundwave
05-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Good Afternoon Fellow AGO'ers.

I just detailed my car for the first time and, while it turned out good, it still has small scratches on it all over the place.

I have a few questions, but I will list what i did first. as my methods could be the issue as well.`

1) Washed car thoroughly with CG Citrus Wash & Gloss and removed all previous wax on the car.

2) Clayed vehicle with Dodo Juice Born Slippy Clay Lube (This stuff was awesome btw)

3)Here's where i am thinking i went awry. Since i had small scratches in the car that i wanted to get rid of i thought CG V38 with a White Hex logic pad would take out the little swirls/Scratches. I did a test spot and everything looked good.

I am using a Griots 3rd Gen and I was using two white pads to do the whole car. I would wash the pad each each 16x16 area and do two section passes and swapped pads each body panel. i.e: the door, hood, etc etc.

When i washed the pad I would dry it in a micro fiber as well to make sure it was somewhat dry and not holding water.

3a) Used 1 setting to spread product, and 4.5 setting to correct. Not sure if this was correct.

4) Used Blacklight, by hand

5) BFWD, followed by Dodo juice Blue Velvet and Purple Haze pro.

Question Time:

I am thinking I didn't do enough section passes?

Did i do this correctly? I would wash the pad, Dry it, Put more product on the pad (5 pea sized drops) then I would do a 16x16 area, wash pad, and repeat the process.

Should i have primed the pad every time after i washed it?

Should i have used more pads and swapped them out that way?

Did I end up instilling more scratches in the paint? (Which i think i did)

I'm a little confused but this was a great experience. I'll post up some pics as well to show how it came out. I would just like to get it right next time so that i could get rid of the scratches (as they bother the hell out of me lol).

Thank you all for reading and thank you for any tips/help as well.

Pics coming as they are on my phone right now.

Soundwave
05-06-2013, 02:31 PM

Sent from my SGH-I317M using AG Online

Theo_Auto_Fines
05-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Priming a pad is something that needs to be done when its brand new. After washing a pad it never really gets that dry unless you throw it in the dryer which I do not recommend.

When in doubt spritz it with detail spray.

Mach1USMC
05-06-2013, 05:20 PM
I'd say with the CG line you should have done a 2 or 3 step starting out with V34 and an orange pad (of MF cutting pad) then step up to a green pad with V36 for your second step or just go to V38 and white for your final step. Then top it off with a sealant (JS109 for example) and a good wax.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFnmfn9mwYc]Polishing & Buffing Pads - Choosing The Correct Polishing Pad - Chemical Guys CAR CARE - YouTube[/video]

But I've also heard that Meg 105/205 is an almost unbeatable combo. Haven't tried it yet so I can't say for sure but Mike has some vids that can show you how effective they are.

Evan.J
05-06-2013, 06:17 PM
When you did the test spot how may section passes did u do? Typically you want to do a 2'x2' section with 6-8 section passes (cross hatch pattern)

When did you notice all the scratches before the application of BL or after?

You don't need to wash the pad after every section you do but cleaning the pad on the fly would be better. If you feel the that cleaning in the fly isn't cutting it the you can wash the pads. But you can have the pad washed after every panel and switch to a new one while the other dries.

Priming the pad will only need to be done to a new or dry pad. Once you prime the pad your good to go.

Pay attention to any product build up on the edges of the pad. Once you see that you will either need to clean on the fly or wash.

Sfoster
05-06-2013, 06:46 PM
My co-worker has a 2012 white lancer. Whats the best wax for white cars??

Sent from my DROID X2 using AG Online

Soundwave
05-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I just didn't go agressive enough. I went back and watch3d some videos to see that I should have most likely used an Orange pad and the V36 or V34.

I was under the impression that it was good to keep the pads clean as much as you can. So this is why I cleaned the pad so much.

Well. Live and learn. Next time will be better.

Soundwave
05-06-2013, 09:08 PM
I noticed that scratches before WD.