PDA

View Full Version : First post.....need advice

FiveseveN
05-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Hello all........ive been reading posts on this forum for a while now. Ive learned alot and look forward to learning even more.

I have detailed alot in the past but nothing on the level of some of you. I strictly do it for the joy and not work.

However I have a new ride and would like some advice on what you would suggest I use for various parts. If it would be easier I could post a picture so you could have a better idea, let me know.

I have an 03' Ford Excursion Limited. The paint is pewter and it has tan leather interior. The wheels I put on are puzzling me as to what to use. They are black KMC Monsters and have kind of a smooth slightly glossy finish, not cheep lookin like some of the black dubs ive seen.........you would have to see them.

Tires are Nitto Dune Grapplers with a complicated side wall, may have to get out some Q tips to get all the edges......LOL.

Im looking for your best recomendation for wax,seal ect.... anything for the paint. Anything for the wheels, and anything for the leather and plactic trim, windows ect.....

I am planning on getting a PC in the next week or so, plus any tools and applicators you would recommend. I will be ordering everything from Autogeek, I believe in supporting sponsers of the forum as well as the forum itself.

Thanks in advance,

FiveseveN

FloridaNative
05-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Hello and welcome to the forums! Have you checked out the Detailing University on the Autogeek site? It's a great place to start for how to's.

Detailing Facts and Tips: How-to Guides from the Car Care Experts at AutoGeek (http://autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

I love Pinnacle for leather, vinyl protection and also Souveran paste for the wax. Wolfgang and DP are two great sealants. The DP gel cleaner and P21S cleaner are both great for wheels. :)

D
05-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Wash
Soap- Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo, DP Xtreme Foam, Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds, or Duragloss #901
Dry- Cobra Guzzler
Sponge- Meguiar's Ultra Plush Chenile Wash pad or Edge ShMITT with 2 bucket system

Clay
Pretty much any clay will do, but some are more aggressive then others. If you keep your car up, then I recommend Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay. If it needs a good claying then you can use Clay Magic, or Mothers. For lube I like to use soap, which is Meguiars NXT on customer cars. NXT is stronger then all the soaps I mentioned up top.

Wheels
P21S Wheel Cleaner (gel or regular), DP Wheel Gel, or Poorboys Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner
Polish- DP Wheel Glaze, or Poorboys Wheel Sealant

Tire/ Wheel Well Dressings and Cleaners
Cleaners- Amazing Roll Off, diluted Purple Power
Dressings- Armor All Tire Foam (tire/ wheel well), Meguiars Hot Shine Tire Spray (tire/ wheel well), Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel (tire)

Windows
Stoners Window Cleaner or DP Krystal Vision
Cobra Waffle Weave Microfiber Glass Towel (2)

Exterior Trim Dressing
303 Protectant
Poorboys Trim Restorer
Duragloss #271

Exhaust Tips
Mothers Metal Polish is fine
or English Custom Polish if you want to get fancy

Bug/ Tar Remover
Poorboys Bug Squash/ Pinnacle Bug and Tar pad (this combo is unstoppable)

Polish/ Swirl Removers
Poorboys SSR's
Pinnacle XMT line
Optimum
Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover
Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover
Meguiars

Quick Detailers
Duragloss #921
Pinnacle Crystal Mist
Poorboy’s Spray & Gloss
ClearKote Quick Shine

Wax
Pinnacle Liquid Souveran
Pinnacle Signature Series II
DP Max Wax
Souveran Paste

Sealants
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
DP Premium Surface Sealant
Klasse High Gloss Sealant
Poorboys EX and EX-P
Optimum Opti-Seal
Duragloss #105

Interior
DP Total Interior Cleaner
DP Total Interior Protectant
Pinnacle, Wolfgang, or Four Star leather conditioner

Truls
05-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Welcome FiveseveN

Yepp pics always rocks....

Hers my list, you probably get 10s of different sugestions so watch out and call VISA

DuraGloss 101 is a supreeme base, with the DG 105 over it, its bullet proof. Top that with the Pinnacle Liquid Souveran and its a headturner....Correction of swirls etc ill swear by the XMT line (Porter cable) or Meguiars MG (rotary) AG just got the Menzerna line onboard, check that out too 4 Rotary/PC (not tryed it.....yet, but it gets good feedbacks)

Wheels, i like wolfgang tire gel, but if its hard to reach areas on the wheel wall ill say ArmorAll tire Foam (Sorry AG dont know any other)

Aint got leather, sorry

Windows, DuraGloss NU glass worked for me, easy on, easy off

Get yourself a PC/EDGE kit, thats when things start to get fun regarding detailing cars

And the usuall gang: ShMitt - GritGuard - Guzzler - Poorboys SS&S - Pinnacle crystal mist - Cobra MF.

Greate products 4 keeping the car look glossy

Good luck on shoppin`

FiveseveN
05-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Wow thanks for all the info. I cant wait to get this stuff and get started.

I am going to get the Edge kit and the headlight kit. Just have to go through all this info and figure out which ones to try first.

I am guessing from the responses that it doesnt matter that I have black rims for determining what to use on them. It almost looks to me like there is a coating on there and would hate to use something that would take it off.

Anyone else that would like to contribute to this, your response is appreciated.

Thanks,

FiveseveN

Truls
05-23-2007, 07:22 PM
P21s wheel gel for cleaning.

Got the same issue myself regarding black rims, used some P21s wheel wax on them, but that is not in the US. Sorry

FiveseveN
05-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Thought I would throw in a pic of the wheel. I need to resize the pics I have of my EX before I can put them on here.

Let me know what you think,

FiveseveN

D
05-23-2007, 08:18 PM
P21S gel or DP gel wheel cleaner. Polish with DP wheel glaze or Poorboys wheel sealant.

FiveseveN
05-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Excellent....thanks. Going to go shopping now.........LOL.

Maybe just buy all the stuff mentioned. hehehe.

Thanks for all the info, once I get the stuff and get it done I will post some pics so you guys can tell me how I did.

FiveseveN