PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question: So now what??

Pages : [1] 2

Breakwater
05-05-2013, 02:57 PM
I am an admitted detailing Noob. We have two vehicles that are daily drivers that I wash every other week. I use the 2 bucket method with grit guard. Right now I am using Meg's Gold Class shampoo. I dry with waffle weave and microfibers. I use DP wheel / tire cleaner (works great but would be happy to hear about lower cost options that are as easy to use and just as safe to people and paint) and I use the DP tire dressing, which I also like.

So to my question, I have not graduated to a DA polisher to put on sealants and lots of the waxes I've seen discussed on the forum. Should I be putting something on top to protect the paint after I wash? I've seen Meg's quik wax and quik detailer in stores and wonder if either of these should be used? Is there another product like these I should consider?

I guess another option could be to use a shampoo with carnauba wax in it, but am not sure. If i use a wash with carnauba, can I use it on windows?

Also I am 1000% sure these questions have been asked and answered before but I have been unsuccessful in finding answers I can interpret. Lol

help!!

The cars I care for are a pearl white 2012 Infiniti and a 2013 gray f150.

Breakwater
05-05-2013, 02:58 PM
And thanks in advance!!

mpkav
05-05-2013, 03:04 PM
If you can afford to get a DA and some good pads that is the way to go!! I bought the Porter Cable 7424 XP and Wolfgang products last fall. They work very well!! If you want to stay simple, your wash process sounds pretty good. A coat of Collinite 845 wax will top it off nicely! I'm sure someone will chime in here with a good polish you can apply before the Collinite to make it pop!!

Evan.J
05-05-2013, 03:06 PM
I use DP wheel / tire cleaner (works great but would be happy to hear about lower cost options that are as easy to use and just as safe to people and paint) and

Megs All Purpose Cleaner + this is a great all around cleaner that can be diluted to many ratios depending on what you need. Good on wheels too. I use Megs wheel Brightener but it is an acid that gets diluted to 4:1

So to my question, Should I be putting something on top to protect the paint after I wash? I've seen Meg's quik wax and quik detailer in stores and wonder if either of these should be used? Is there another product like these I should consider?

For maintenance you can use a quick detailer of quick pray wax for after washes. If you want economical then Meguiars D156 Synthetic X-press Spray Wax is good is the Quick spray wax but in a gallon for 31.99

I guess another option could be to use a shampoo with carnauba wax in it, but am not sure. If i use a wash with carnauba, can I use it on windows?

Yes you can use these soaps on windows. Your not going to get the protection you would with a standalone product like a spay wax or quick detailer.

Also I am 1000% sure these questions have been asked and answered before but I have been unsuccessful in finding answers I can interpret. Lol

help!!

The cars I care for are a pearl white 2012 Infiniti and a 2013 gray f150.

Answers are in bold

BradsDetailing
05-05-2013, 03:10 PM
In my opinion a wash with carnauba wax in it isn't the same as applying carnauba yourself. I apply a sealant, klasse at the moment, after I'm washing and it usually stays on for 4 months while washing it every couple days.

If I were you I would order a good sealant or wax, your choice, to have some protection. You don't need a da to apply it. I don't own a da at the moment by applying a wax by hand isn't all that difficult, can be tiresome at times. But I would definately recommend something.

I used optimum's spray car wax and it's a wipe on wipe off, really easy and it's supposed to last up to 4 months. Not too expensive but not cheap

Breakwater
05-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the responses received so far.

Breakwater
05-05-2013, 05:37 PM
In my opinion a wash with carnauba wax in it isn't the same as applying carnauba yourself. I apply a sealant, klasse at the moment, after I'm washing and it usually stays on for 4 months while washing it every couple days.

If I were you I would order a good sealant or wax, your choice, to have some protection. You don't need a da to apply it. I don't own a da at the moment by applying a wax by hand isn't all that difficult, can be tiresome at times. But I would definately recommend something.

I used optimum's spray car wax and it's a wipe on wipe off, really easy and it's supposed to last up to 4 months. Not too expensive but not cheap

Thanks. Sounds like a good excuse ---err---reason to expand my detailing resources. Now I need to figure out wax or sealant? I think I have entered the land of eternal questions. Lol. I get one answer that creates more questions for me to ponder.

Breakwater
05-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Answers are in bold

Thanks. My wheels are coated. Wouldn't the acid in wheel brightener eventually destroy my coating?

Evan.J
05-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks. My wheels are coated. Wouldn't the acid in wheel brightener eventually destroy my coating?

Nope its clear coat safe painted wheel safe and chrome safe. Uncoated wheels not safe

BradsDetailing
05-05-2013, 07:26 PM
I personally always have a sealant on my daily driver. I only apply it once or twice a year and I like knowing my car is always protected. With wax I have to check every week to make sure the car is still beading after a month or two. Sealant is more convenient for me and it makes my car shine enough.

WRXINXS
05-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Megs wheel brightner is some nasty stuff and probably not what OP is looking for because he is looking for a safe wheel cleaner.

Evan.J
05-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Megs wheel brightner is some nasty stuff and probably not what OP is looking for because he is looking for a safe wheel cleaner.

Yea it is nasty. I was just saying what I use. I suggested APC+ safe and economical :xyxthumbs:

Infiniti
05-05-2013, 07:47 PM

I agree with Brad on all of his points. I put on a sealant only also just so I can add another coat in the summer time. If you want to keep the price down you can try the detailers pro sealant that comes with Collinite 845.

Detailer’s Maximum Paint Protection Combo, best winter wax, best car wax winter protection (http://www.autogeek.net/maximum-paint-protection-combo.html)

lucky472
05-05-2013, 07:58 PM
I'll chime in since I was in the same spot as you, only with one new candy white vw gti. The best advice I'll tell you is to simply do your research and then stick to the products you feel most comfortable. Everyone has an option or preference, but in the end just about all the products you find at AG are worth it and you can spend a ton on similar products that do the same thing. Simply build your cart up, wait for the right bogo and take advantage of the specials and free shipping. It sounds like you're doing it right. I do strongly suggest a PC 7424 or something similar. I finally broke down last year and got it during a BF or Christmas promo. Nice kit with pads included. It will save time, energy and create a better finished product. If not you can still apply waxes by hand, but after your first time with a PC you'll never go back. I still haven't done a correction and have only used my pc for waxes and still find it worth every cent.

My basic products...

-two bucket with grit guard
-wookie fist
-bug squash concentrate and the bug block (not sure the name. it's like a brick but works awesome)
-any tire and wheel thats on bogo
-daytona wheel brush
-I prefer dodo juice soaps, but I'm always changing. I like suds. Chemical guys makes great concentrates that last for countless washes and smell great
-waffle weave
-stoner glass
-cobra micro fiber (gold or purple) or a good bogo micro fiber
-colinite 845 for price
-pinnacle clay
-iron x (my car needs it due to small rail dust marks
-spray wax with carnuba for weekly washes between 845
-aerospace 303
-turtle wax interior (for some reason this works great in my gti)

This basically covers everything for my car. Hope it helps

Breakwater
05-05-2013, 10:42 PM
I'll chime in since I was in the same spot as you, only with one new candy white vw gti. The best advice I'll tell you is to simply do your research and then stick to the products you feel most comfortable. Everyone has an option or preference, but in the end just about all the products you find at AG are worth it and you can spend a ton on similar products that do the same thing. Simply build your cart up, wait for the right bogo and take advantage of the specials and free shipping. It sounds like you're doing it right. I do strongly suggest a PC 7424 or something similar. I finally broke down last year and got it during a BF or Christmas promo. Nice kit with pads included. It will save time, energy and create a better finished product. If not you can still apply waxes by hand, but after your first time with a PC you'll never go back. I still haven't done a correction and have only used my pc for waxes and still find it worth every cent.

My basic products...

-two bucket with grit guard
-wookie fist
-bug squash concentrate and the bug block (not sure the name. it's like a brick but works awesome)
-any tire and wheel thats on bogo
-daytona wheel brush
-I prefer dodo juice soaps, but I'm always changing. I like suds. Chemical guys makes great concentrates that last for countless washes and smell great
-waffle weave
-stoner glass
-cobra micro fiber (gold or purple) or a good bogo micro fiber
-colinite 845 for price
-pinnacle clay
-iron x (my car needs it due to small rail dust marks
-spray wax with carnuba for weekly washes between 845
-aerospace 303
-turtle wax interior (for some reason this works great in my gti)

This basically covers everything for my car. Hope it helps

It helped greatly. Thanks!