PDA

View Full Version : Speedy Surface Prep Towel - Fine vs. Medium Grade

Quickstrike
05-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Do you think the Fine grade will remove as many contaminants as the Medium grade - just might take a few more passes to do so?

The reason I ask is, 75% of the time I will be using this on cars that have never/rarely been clayed.

If I can get the paint perfectly smooth with the fine grade, whilst reducing the extent of marring, that will be the towel I choose.

Thanks.

ArkayoDeetayo
05-05-2013, 03:29 PM
just get the medium...

reducing marring doesn't matter because you will be polishing after which removes any marring

ihaveacamaro
05-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Well if you won't be polishing after, then get the fine :)

It's pretty awesome!

random
05-05-2013, 11:15 PM
just get the medium...

reducing marring doesn't matter because you will be polishing after which removes any marring

Even if you are polishing afterwards, why inflict more damage (marring) to the paint than necessary?

Medium is good when you know you have a heavily contaminated car, and speed is of the essence. Otherwise, fine works too; just takes a few more passes on heavily contaminated cars, and has less chance of marring.

Detailing by M
05-05-2013, 11:38 PM
I've used both on crappy cars and I like the fine better because it's gentler and I come across some sensitive once, mainly black BMW's. So the fine gives me a broader range of vehicles I can use it on.

They both work so well and I really don't see much of a difference in passes/work nor do I really recall a difference because these things are the greatest thing ever!!! :)

DRT BRD
05-06-2013, 12:14 AM
If budget is a worry, get the medium grade towel and then get the nano skin fine sponge, great stuff and cheap! If not, stick with a traditional clay bar.

ww2717
05-06-2013, 12:25 AM
I had to use the Medium grade speedy prep towel saturday to remove some black paint over spray. Meguairs fine grade clay bar just wasn't removing all of the over spray. I switch to the medium grade towel and it removed the overspray right awake. This was on soft black Hondapaint. The medium did leave marring. So I had to polish the area where the contamination was removed from.