PDA

View Full Version : Why Are You Top Coating DGPS With Wax??

Pages : [1] 2

Ray & Paula
05-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Hi,
Just received the "Twins" along with DGPS. I have a newbie question?? I was under the impression that DGPS was the last step. Should it be followed up with a top coat of wax? It appears that a lot of you are. Why? Thanks, Ray

jvs1991
05-04-2013, 10:19 PM
That's up to you. Most people do it to have the protection of a sealant and the gloss and depth of a carnauba wax. Personally I just use a carnauba wax bc I wax often enough that I'm really not concerned with durability of waxes. It comes down to personal preferwnce

ArkayoDeetayo
05-04-2013, 10:21 PM
It is personal preference. Some people may like to top with a wax for a "deeper wet look", so they put the sealant as the base coat to get the best of both worlds, the durability of a sealant and a look of a wax.

Personally, I think DGPS looks great as it for a sealant, so just put two coats of it (12-24 hours cure between coats) and call it a day. Anything extra is just extra work that won't be noticed.

Ray & Paula
05-04-2013, 10:46 PM
:xyxthumbs: Thanks for the replies! If I decide to top coat with a wax, should I apply it with my DA or by hand? Thanks again, Ray

jvs1991
05-04-2013, 10:48 PM
:xyxthumbs: Thanks for the replies! If I decide to top coat with a wax, should I apply it with my DA or by hand? Thanks again, Ray

Also personal preference. A da is good to get a nice even thin coat of wax. Which wax were you gonna apply?

Ray & Paula
05-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Hi,
Not really sure which wax to use. I do like the idea of 2 coats of sealant due to not worrying about stripping wax off for a re-application of sealant. Hmmm..... decisions, decisions. Thanks for your thoughts, Ray :thankyousign:

WRAPT C5Z06
05-05-2013, 12:14 AM
I've never done it, never will. Doesn't make sense to me. If you're going to "top", use the same product.

ArkayoDeetayo
05-05-2013, 01:30 AM
^ just put 2 coats of WGDGPS and call it a day. Great look, great protection, not a dust magnet

silverfox
05-05-2013, 06:30 AM
I think the best compromise for those tempted to top a sealant with a dust magnet.. (Which defeats the whole purpose of keeping paint clean) is to look for sealants that have a carnauba look. There are a few out there. Duragloss 105 is my favorite and oh by the way it lasts up to a year when applied with 601, costs about $10 and can be bought locally. I mean.. Come on man.

Klasse Act
05-05-2013, 07:44 AM
I think the best compromise for those tempted to top a sealant with a dust magnet.. (Which defeats the whole purpose of keeping paint clean) is to look for sealants that have a carnauba look. There are a few out there. Duragloss 105 is my favorite and oh by the way it lasts up to a year when applied with 601, costs about $10 and can be bought locally. I mean.. Come on man.

There is something to be said about this!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

swanicyouth
05-05-2013, 07:57 AM
I "top" to try to squeeze every ounce of gloss out of the paint, and for the enjoyment of using a carnauba wax. This time of year it is a dust magnet, until you wash it once. That seems to neutralize it. I think it improves the look a bit. Right now my two cars are topped with Souveran and NaviWax Ultimate.

I usually apply the sealant once, since it lasts many months. Then, I top it with a wax. Every month or so, I refresh the wax. My cars always bead like crazy and look just waxed. I think spray sealants and waxes will attract just as much dust when first applied as a paste wax.

FUNX650
05-05-2013, 08:23 AM
Some folks will add a film-layer of a carnuba wax atop an otherwise good sealant for the sake of
adding more 'thickness' (a few millionths of an inch, at most) of sacrificial-"barrier-ing" to a vehicle...
whether, as it's been debated, it's factual, or perceived.

While carnuba waxes are said to provide: warmth, jetting effect...
They have also been said to not provide any "natural" UV protection (like polymer sealants are said to do);
have a lower melting point than sealants (ever experience the stickiness of carnuba wax?);
and are claimed to not be as 'durable'...On the other hand:

Carnuba wax has been said to resist things like:
Acid rain, bird poop, industrial fallout, brake/rail dust, and road salt...
"better" than a polymer sealant.

How much better this "better" is, though, has become the point of many, many debates.

I find myself making:
My carnuba-wax decisions based on the above information.
Of course: YMMV.

:)

Bob

WRAPT C5Z06
05-05-2013, 10:46 AM
^ just put 2 coats of WGDGPS and call it a day. Great look, great protection, not a dust magnet
:props:

Ray & Paula
05-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Hmmm..... To wax or not to wax... It appears to be a flip of a coin. Since I live in Michigan, I may go for 2 coats of sealant in the spring. In the fall, maybe 1 or 2 coats of sealant with a good wax as a top coat for the winter. I'm beginning to see both sides of the fence. Thanks for the replies, Ray

Lexi65
05-05-2013, 09:04 PM
That's up to you. Most people do it to have the protection of a sealant and the gloss and depth of a carnauba wax. Personally I just use a carnauba wax bc I wax often enough that I'm really not concerned with durability of waxes. It comes down to personal preferwnce

Does the sealant need to cure before applying the second coat? How long? Feed back please