PDA

View Full Version : Otc microfiber

Pages : [1] 2 3

akj
05-03-2013, 10:47 PM
I know the best mf towels are ones such as Cobras or others sold online. But I'm always looking for more and was just how some of others stacked up. I've seen some at places orileys like the viking brand. Are any of them any good?
Like good enough to use to buff off wax?
Like they have a 2 sided one. One side is very plush and soft the other has a almost textured surface with little squares all over it. What would that side be used for?

But the main question is is there any of the otc mfs you'd use to buff off wax?

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

poko
05-03-2013, 11:37 PM
Yes, I use microfiber found at Walmart that is plush and soft to wax removal on my daily driver. Just today I stopped by Walmart and saw some new microfiber products that is way plush and soft, I would say enthusiast quality, but it was sold in 15 packs too many for me now so I did not give a try.

k12354
05-03-2013, 11:40 PM
I have two Viking waffle weave towels I got on Amazon for cheap. All the reviews said they pass the CD test, work great for drying or buffing, etc. However, I just don't like the feel of them. The fibers feel very coarse. They did pass the CD test for me, but I won't use them on paint. They are now my window towels.

On a side note, I am fortunate to have a professional detailing supply warehouse about 3 miles from my house. "OTC microfibers" for me are ultra plush 1100 gsm towels. :D

Sorry, I had to throw that in there. My point is YMMV with OTC towels. As with many other things in life, you get what you pay for with MF.

poweraid
05-03-2013, 11:59 PM
little textured squares ? I'm thinking its a waffle weave towel , anyways I have a crap load of pro force mf towels from sams club . 24 towels for like $10-12 I think . strictly used for anything but paint .

cleanmycorolla
05-04-2013, 12:09 AM
Lol at the cd test but that's all I'll say cd test really stirs everyone up here. But yeah that test is meaningless but whatever.

mavin
05-04-2013, 12:13 AM
You can get the 3-packs of griots microfiber towels at advance auto

poweraid
05-04-2013, 12:17 AM
little textured squares ? I'm thinking its a waffle weave towel , anyways I have a crap load of pro force mf towels from sams club . 24 towels for like $10-12 I think . strictly used for anything but paint .

soft - plushy side used as final wipe, detail sprays , ww-rw . the other side little squares ? for polish and wax removal . kinda like long and short nap towels .

akj
05-04-2013, 01:28 AM
The other side I'm referring to Is almost a rubber feeling material.. the towel is called a "2 in 1" towel. The other side is some what if a deep nap and very soft.

Girots towels at advanced auto? Wow that's great to know. I haven't seen the towels at the one here although I've seen a few of their products. Are those towels for buffing?

k12354
05-04-2013, 02:08 AM
Lol at the cd test but that's all I'll say cd test really stirs everyone up here. But yeah that test is meaningless but whatever.

Good thing I relied on my sense of touch then. Thanks for your helpful response.

MyFirstES300
05-04-2013, 02:16 AM

I used to use the Pro-force ones for everything. However, over the last 2 years they changed something and they were not doing the job as they used to. I just use those for glass and everything else.

I have a separate stock of Cobra drying towels for wax buffing and drying. I found out the good quality stuff is worth spending the extra money. The Cobra glass towels are really good (white waffle weave.)

-Ed

lkotsios
05-04-2013, 06:29 AM
The striped microfibers at target are good.

wukin
05-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Nobody mention eurow?

bcope
05-04-2013, 01:25 PM
The detail towels at Wal mart are soft. But to dry, I love my carrand (sp?) Drying towel I got from ag. Just not crazy about the plastic thing they put on a corner.

Bigbull2984
05-04-2013, 03:16 PM

Chris you are such a rookie when it comes to scientific test :D

OP

For OTC I reall like the autozone ones that come in the 10 and 20 pack.

But best deal I have found is the eurow ones on amazon.

dad07
05-04-2013, 03:58 PM
I know the best mf towels are ones such as Cobras or others sold online. But I'm always looking for more and was just how some of others stacked up. I've seen some at places orileys like the viking brand. Are any of them any good?
Like good enough to use to buff off wax?
Like they have a 2 sided one. One side is very plush and soft the other has a almost textured surface with little squares all over it. What would that side be used for?

But the main question is is there any of the otc mfs you'd use to buff off wax?

If your talking about the red and black vikings at Oriley's those are a very nice towel.....the red side is very plush and the black side is soft but a wieght in grams.....about 300 I think.

I have a few of those and they work very well for wax removal...use the black side to remove the wax flip it inside out and use the red side for final buff.

Just a warning if you purchase some you really need to wash these towels before use and by themselves as they tend to bleed a little on thier fist wash.