PDA

View Full Version : M205 as a 1 step?

Lambo1
05-03-2013, 08:28 PM
has anyone ever just used 205 on something as a one step if so what would be top pad choice(s) I was wanting to start doing some cars this way I have white ccs,meguiars yellow polishing pad and some others too...thanks

rmagnus
05-03-2013, 08:40 PM
has anyone ever just used 205 on something as a one step if so what would be top pad choice(s) I was wanting to start doing some cars this way I have white ccs,meguiars yellow polishing pad and some others too...thanks

M205 is a great polish and using different pads like those listed will provide you different results. Bottom line is you still need to protect the paint after polishing.

jmfp
05-03-2013, 08:41 PM
I use 205 as a one step all the time. I usually use a mf cutting pad with it. I get great results with this combo. If you have soft paint that will probably mar it up.

Lambo1
05-03-2013, 09:02 PM
yah I usually finish down with blackfire w orbital or 3.0 im just not real familiar with the 205 since I usually use menzerna stuff but appreciate the input just didn't know if some =one hadit down to a t on which pad is most commonly used with it for a 1 step if that makes sense

WRXINXS
05-03-2013, 09:15 PM
I have super soft black Subaru paint so for me 205 works great as a one step. I forget if I used Hydrotech Tangerine's or Lake County White pads though.

Lambo1
05-03-2013, 09:16 PM
ok I appreciate the input other ppl has said the white ccs is pretty common with it when I asked a while back

Dr Oldz
05-03-2013, 09:56 PM
I am not big on 205 as a one step. When doing a one step polish, I try to use a product that has a good amount of cut while still finishing down with a fairly high gloss. 205 certainly finished down great but doesn't provide the cut I'm after. I prefer something like Menz 2500 for one step jobs. In my opinion the key to finding a good one step polish is one that has a balance of cut and finish. Chances are the person who you are doing a one stepper for will be happy with a good amount of swirl reduction and added gloss, if they wanted more then they would have chosen a different polish package.

WRXINXS
05-03-2013, 10:04 PM
I am not big on 205 as a one step. When doing a one step polish, I try to use a product that has a good amount of cut while still finishing down with a fairly high gloss. 205 certainly finished down great but doesn't provide the cut I'm after. I prefer something like Menz 2500 for one step jobs. In my opinion the key to finding a good one step polish is one that has a balance of cut and finish. Chances are the person who you are doing a one stepper for will be happy with a good amount of swirl reduction and added gloss, if they wanted more then they would have chosen a different polish package.

I agree. Menzerna PowerFinish (2500) Is a great one step. I used it as a one step before Opti-Coat 2.0 on my Dad's Maxima (Used Tangerine Hydro's). Just remember that it does have diminishing abrasives and needs to be broken down for best results.

Lambo1
05-03-2013, 10:08 PM
that's what I usually use (menzerna pf) with orange or white but just wanted to start trying the 205 a lil and yes it does take a while to break down or it doesn't wanna wipe off until its ready lol

SonOfOC
05-03-2013, 10:18 PM
M205 cut is too low to be a one-step, except for well kept cars.

PF2500 is the most well rounded, has decent cut and finishes down really nice. Meg D151 also works great.

Anything PF2500 or D151 can't remove will usually be a 2 stepper.

Sunshyne
05-03-2013, 10:26 PM
as many have stated, Menz 2500 or Megs 151 are good choices based on your requirments

dorkiedoode
05-03-2013, 11:28 PM
i used M205 on my soft Honda paint as a one step with a white pad. although it finish down very nice but i still see swirls under the street lighting. just very very light one. mind you, this car hasn't been detail ever since it left the dealer 7 years ago. So now i have to go do it over again with SF4500. other than that there's no way anyone can find those swirls in the day time.

WRXINXS
05-04-2013, 05:42 AM
I found this writeup very interesting on what M205 alone can do.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/59393-maximize-your-product-s-full-potential.html

It worked great for my soft black subaru paint but I agree it might not be enough depending on the level of swirls and paint hardness.

willtothewong
05-04-2013, 07:17 AM
I found this writeup very interesting on what M205 alone can do.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/59393-maximize-your-product-s-full-potential.html

It worked great for my soft black subaru paint but I agree it might not be enough depending on the level of swirls and paint hardness.

Read that same article. Awesome stuff.

statusdetailing
05-04-2013, 09:05 AM
On a medium to soft paint I think 205 is a great single step polish. I normally use an orange or white lc pad. It's easy to remove with IPA. I then follow with a wax or sealant.

If you're doing a budget job on a slightly harder paint it might be better to do a single step with megs reconditioning cream (saves a lot of time) or 105 with good technique. I always perform 1 steps with my porter cable. I'm eventually going to switch to the rupes once I'm really sure that's the direction I want to go.