PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Micro marring / hologram *Whatever this is*

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

WRAPT C5Z06
05-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Prime the pad first through right?
Priming always helps, but not too much product. Make sure you clean the pad often when using SPF.

fenderpicks
05-03-2013, 11:18 AM
I always use a pad brush to clean the pad.
But the bristle seems a bit rough on the softer foam pads...

Mark what do u use to clean pad?

WRAPT C5Z06
05-03-2013, 11:20 AM
I always use a pad brush to clean the pad.
But the bristle seems a bit rough on the softer foam pads...

Mark what do u use to clean pad?

I blow out my pads with an air compressor.

Rub a MF towel over the face of the pad with the machine on. That works good, too.

fenderpicks
05-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Oh talking about air compressor, i need a new air blow gun.
Damn Harbor freight crap keeps breaking on me....
Need something the last and dont leak air 24/7

And i do try to rub a towel over the pad with the machine on, but it stops the machine rotating.... so i dont think that helps

statusdetailing
05-03-2013, 11:35 AM
I have a different opinion than some of the other guys. Those look like sever holograms. Those suckers look bad, and probably won't be removed by finishing steps, good technique, better towels, etc.

If it is what I suspect, you need to start over. Go with a slightly more aggressive pad like a lc orange and m105 with your rupes. Probably will need 4-5 good passes, 2 horizontally or 2 vertically. . .lightening up on the last pass.

You should have little to no holograms, even with 105, with good technique and a good machine like the rupes. If there are still severe holograms left after this step, the following steps may not remove them.

The problem may be the opposite of what some of the other guys mentioned. The paint may be hard. Aren't Mini's made by BMW? That would explain the difficulty in removing the severe holograms.

This is just a possibility as I can't be sure without seeing it up close.

hernandez.art13
05-03-2013, 11:37 AM

And i do try to rub a towel over the pad with the machine on, but it stops the machine rotating.... so i dont think that helps

What are you using for air? Electric? Just wondering...

statusdetailing
05-03-2013, 11:38 AM

Here's a thread I started recently. I think a lot of use agreed on the Acme typhoon. They are rebuildable and look tough as nails. They also made good safety tips for them.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/64047-need-better-compressed-air-blow-gun.html

Speedair and guardair made some decent looking ones, which can be found on the grainger website.

Good luck

fenderpicks
05-03-2013, 11:54 AM
I have a different opinion than some of the other guys. Those look like sever holograms. Those suckers look bad, and probably won't be removed by finishing steps, good technique, better towels, etc.

If it is what I suspect, you need to start over. Go with a slightly more aggressive pad like a lc orange and m105 with your rupes. Probably will need 4-5 good passes, 2 horizontally or 2 vertically. . .lightening up on the last pass.

You should have little to no holograms, even with 105, with good technique and a good machine like the rupes. If there are still severe holograms left after this step, the following steps may not remove them.

The problem may be the opposite of what some of the other guys mentioned. The paint may be hard. Aren't Mini's made by BMW? That would explain the difficulty in removing the severe holograms.

This is just a possibility as I can't be sure without seeing it up close.

I really dont think it is caused by towels and what not, but im going to give it a shot, as i have been troubled about this paint for a week now.

But anyways, WHAT I DID NOTICE is.
These "Holograms like scratch marring" is only visible when under certain angle / degree with a high power led flashlight to look at it.

Without the led flashlight, they look like scratches that sits right next to each other, like they are stacking on top of each other.

Yesterday i started with the LC Hybird White w/M105 then i used Uber Green with Sonax PF , Finishing up with Lake Country CCS Black with Po85rd. Those "Holograms like marring" was ALOT LESS visible when under my led flashlight.

I seal the paint with the OC 2.0 using their "DUAL APPLICATOR" which induced light scratches all over the hood.

So today morning i decide to go at it again, by using the Uber Green w/ Sonax PF, and it made it worst, so i try using the Black Pad with PO85RD, it didnt improve much, possible made it EVEN WORST. And those are the pictures i took after trying today morning.

But as i said, if i bring the car out at the sun and look at it, they dont look like holograms in the picture, it just look like a bunch of marring? Stacked right next to each other, which thinking about it does seem to be caused by the polishing with the machine.... since it is going horizontal and vertical....

WRAPT C5Z06
05-03-2013, 12:06 PM
I really dont think it is caused by towels and what not, but im going to give it a shot, as i have been troubled about this paint for a week now.

But anyways, WHAT I DID NOTICE is.
These "Holograms like scratch marring" is only visible when under certain angle / degree with a high power led flashlight to look at it.

Without the led flashlight, they look like scratches that sits right next to each other, like they are stacking on top of each other.

Yesterday i started with the LC Hybird White w/M105 then i used Uber Green with Sonax PF , Finishing up with Lake Country CCS Black with Po85rd. Those "Holograms like marring" was ALOT LESS visible when under my led flashlight.

I seal the paint with the OC 2.0 using their "DUAL APPLICATOR" which induced light scratches all over the hood.

So today morning i decide to go at it again, by using the Uber Green w/ Sonax PF, and it made it worst, so i try using the Black Pad with PO85RD, it didnt improve much, possible made it EVEN WORST. And those are the pictures i took after trying today morning.

But as i said, if i bring the car out at the sun and look at it, they dont look like holograms in the picture, it just look like a bunch of marring? Stacked right next to each other, which thinking about it does seem to be caused by the polishing with the machine.... since it is going horizontal and vertical....
M105/white hybrid should be plenty enough to remove holograms, but, I don't feel these are true rotary induced holograms. I think you're dealing with very soft paint.

fenderpicks
05-03-2013, 12:18 PM
So if it is soft paint, then a Uber green w/ Sonax PF (i even tried Green w/ Sonax Nano polish.) It still didnt remove ALL those marring.
It made improvements, less noticable / visible, but they are there still on the paint very very light and hard to see

Evan.J
05-03-2013, 12:26 PM
So if it is soft paint, then a Uber green w/ Sonax PF (i even tried Green w/ Sonax Nano polish.) It still didnt remove ALL those marring.
It made improvements, less noticable / visible, but they are there still on the paint very very light and hard to see

Were these on you car before you started that you know of?

fenderpicks
05-03-2013, 12:29 PM
I worked on this car LAST YEAR, and i put on a layer of OC 2.0, which i believe it didnt stick on the paint, because it is got a ton of watermarks and scratches.

BUT the scratches / hologram was not as bad when i first started working on it. With my trial and error it made it worst to what is in the pictures now.

BlackHawk
05-03-2013, 12:39 PM
I worked on this car LAST YEAR, and i put on a layer of OC 2.0, which i believe it didnt stick on the paint, because it is got a ton of watermarks and scratches.

BUT the scratches / hologram was not as bad when i first started working on it. With my trial and error it made it worst to what is in the pictures now.

OC 2.0 is not scratch resistant.....neither is it 100% watermark free.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Could be technique. Also, some paints will not finished perfectly.

swanicyouth
05-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Just an idea, but if its soft paint, I would try a non abrasive paint cleaner, like BF GEP, on a soft pad.

If you think its towel marks, try removing the spent polish with a towel soaked in rinseless wash.