PDA

View Full Version : Rupes users, especially with the washer mod, an important tip...

WRAPT C5Z06
05-03-2013, 09:37 AM
ALWAYS start the machine loaded against the paint. Obviously, you don't want sling, but more importantly, it keeps the oscillation and rotation balanced. I got this tip from Kevin Brown.

zmcgovern45
05-03-2013, 10:02 AM
I believe this is the reason that the Rupes designers implemented the "soft start" feature so that if you accidentally power on the machine, it will not ramp up to full speed right away. Also, isn't this why they implemented the cowling on the back (that the washer mod nullifies)?

WRAPT C5Z06
05-03-2013, 10:08 AM
I believe this is the reason that the Rupes designers implemented the "soft start" feature so that if you accidentally power on the machine, it will not ramp up to full speed right away. Also, isn't this why they implemented the cowling on the back (that the washer mod nullifies)?
"Both machines employ a backing plate anti-spin "feature" that slows the rotation of the backing plate via friction; which is to slow excessive backing plate rotation in situations where the pad is not under load while the machine is running (either the pad has minimal or no contact with the polishing surface or there is very little friction between the polishing surface and buffing pad). This is done to prevent erratic interaction between the pad and paint surface and to eliminate the chance that the pad will inadvertently scour the surface."

^^^^ Kevin Brown ^^^^^

This is obviously a useful feature, but you're limiting optimal performance of the machine, IMO.

FUNX650
05-03-2013, 10:53 AM
ALWAYS start the machine loaded against the paint. Obviously, you don't want sling, but more importantly, it keeps the oscillation and rotation balanced. I got this tip from Kevin Brown.
Hi Mark...

IMHO: Whether one uses the RUPES'(K.B.'s) washer-mod, or not...

This is an excellent tip...
Thanks for sharing!!! :props:

Conversely:

Here's a tip... don't lift the pad off the paint till you've turned the polisher off and the spinning pad has slowed down... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/28940-here-s-tip-don-t-lift-pad-off-paint-till-you-ve-turned-polisher-off-spinning-pad-has-slowed-down.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/935/Sept18Class023.jpg
Whoops!

Here's what happens when you lift a polisher off the paint before allowing the pad to slow down and stop spinning...

This happened at out Detailing 101 Class...

Pictures & Comments from September 18th, 2010 Saturday Detailing 101 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-saturday-detailing-101/28890-pictures-comments-september-18th-2010-saturday-detailing-101-a.html)

Remember to allow the spinning of your pad to slow down before lifting the pad off the surface...

Don't lift your pad before turning off the machine!
Mark

:)

Bob

Ryry11
05-03-2013, 11:05 AM
I'd also add that I smear the product around before turning it on, ESPECIALLY on vertical panels, until you get the hang of it. It has a tendency to start slow, then power up quickly, which can force you to tilt the pad and sling gobs of product all over

Detailing by M
05-03-2013, 11:51 AM
who starts a machine off the paint? This is just common sense.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-03-2013, 12:02 PM
who starts a machine off the paint? This is just common sense.
I'm not talking about starting the machine 5 feet off the paint. I've started the Rupes ever so slighty off the paint because I don't like how the soft start feels, but now, that'll change. The pad needs to be in full contact on the paint.

Pats300zx
05-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Great tip Mark. I just did the "washer mod" myself. Can't wait to give my Rupes 21 a "spin" :)

WRAPT C5Z06
05-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Great tip Mark. I just did the "washer mod" myself. Can't wait to give my Rupes 21 a "spin" :)
Pat, the washer mod really helps! :dblthumb2:

SilverRebel
05-03-2013, 01:59 PM
what is the "washer mod"?