PDA

View Full Version : Confused about cleaner wax

mksmth
05-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Be kind to me if this is a dumb question. My confusion is not what they do but how to use them correctly. My understanding of a "cleaning" product is that there should be a bit of "scrubbing" involved but at the same time I know that waxes should be applied in light/thin coats in a straight line. Do I use them similar to polishes, by that I mean circular motions with a bit of pressure. Or do I be more gentle.

I picked up a tin of mothers carnauba cleaner wax on sale for $6. Im saving up money to get a DA and some polishes etc but for now this is what I got in addition to off the shelf clay kits, soaps, quick detailers, etc. I have been washing(2 bucket) and claying(mine car and families) with great results but dont want to add more work for myself in the future by using the cleaner waxes incorrectly.

Thanks for you input.

Mike

Evan.J
05-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Here you go from this article:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-difference-between-cleaner-wax-finishing-wax.html

A cleaner/wax is best used on a neglected finish because a neglected finish needs to be cleaned. Cleaner/Waxes, or All-In-One products are designed for a large market which includes do-it-yourselfers and detailers that want to restore a bright, shiny finish to the paint but want to do it in one-step. Their goal is to get a great looking finish without having to invest the time and effort associated with a multiple-step approach which usually includes,
Dedicated compounding or paint cleaning step
Dedicated polishing or glazing step
Dedicated sealing step using a finishing wax or finishing paint sealant
Keep in mind besides the above 3 steps that are the norm for a multiple-step process, there's also,
The washing and drying step
The claying step if the car is parked outside a lot and has built-up above surface bonded contaminants. (Most daily drivers need to be clayed).
If we add the above two steps, (washing & drying step and claying step), together with the multiple 3-step approach that would make the average car detailing session 5 steps at a minimum.
The washing and drying step
The claying step if the car is parked outside a lot and has built-up above surface bonded contaminants. (Most daily drivers need to be clayed).
Dedicated compounding or paint cleaning step
Dedicated polishing or glazing step
Dedicated sealing step using a finishing wax or paint sealant.
Because the majority of people in this world look at their car as a mode of transportation instead of an extension of their personality, its' easy to understand that most people want and only need a one-step cleaner/wax.

A cleaner/wax doesn't need to be used, and in most cases shouldn't be used, on a car in which the paint is in excellent condition, for example a brand new car or an older car in which the paint has been properly cleaned and polished. For finishes on both of these types of cars the paint would be better served using a finishing wax or finishing sealant.

Another example would be a brand new paint job after the regular 30 days air-cure waiting time. Brand new paint should look great after you pick it up from the painter but most painters will tell you to wait at least 30 days before sealing the paint with either a wax or paint sealant.

After the 30 days have passed, a finishing wax should be used not a cleaner/wax because theoretically, the paint is supposed to be in excellent condition so you shouldn't have to use any product with cleaners or abrasives in it.

Application Method
In most cases, a cleaner/wax type product needs to be worked over and into the surface. Cleaner/waxes are not wipe on, wipe off products. Part of the cleaning action comes from you either working the product over the surface and engaging the cleaning ingredients with the paint or you running an electric polisher and the polisher is engaging the cleaning ingredients against the paint. The worse condition the paint, the more you'll need to work the product.

RhetoricMixes
05-03-2013, 09:00 AM
This is where I dont understand why these companies d this to consumers that are new to detailing. When you purchase cleaner wax think of it as a very mild and low cut polish. It basically cleans your paint and then protects it as you wipe it away thus the "cleaner wax" designation. That type of product you would use some elbow grease with.

Now if you ever use a pure carnauba wax with no cleaning properties in it you will use little to no pressure at all when applying it to your car. Since at that point you are satisfied with removing defects and/or cleaning your paint and all you want to do is protect it.

mksmth
05-03-2013, 10:11 AM
wow I feel dumb. I completely looked over that article. the answer is right there, LOL

Thanks for the input to you both!

One question. is it best to work cleaner waxes in a back and forth pattern or in circles?

Mike

Evan.J
05-03-2013, 10:41 AM
wow I feel dumb. I completely looked over that article. the answer is right there, LOL

Thanks for the input to you both!

One question. is it best to work cleaner waxes in a back and forth pattern or in circles?

Mike

Circulare motion will help the clueing ability just like you would if you were using a compound or a polish by hand.

PiPUK
05-03-2013, 01:40 PM
The confusion here is massive. Unfortunately detailing circles have adopted terminology distinct from those who are actually formulating the products. We don't formulate cleaner waxes or All in Ones, we call them polishes. What you guys call polishes we would often refer to compounds or similar. There is overlap, of course, but it makes for a lot of confusion. There are more than a few instances where there are liquid products on the market, sold as pure wax or sealant types products but which have reasonably high contents of hydrocarbon solvents (i.e. chemical cleaners) and far from zero levels of particulate abrasives (i.e. mechanical cleaners). I wouldn't even say that this is intentionally misleading, simply that this is the way we make these products and many of the names in detailing chemicals are not making their own products (inspite of their claims) so are thus 'stuck' with taking products as they are offered, having little or no ability to actually tweak a product to the extend that these ingredients are not included.