PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Exterior Plastic Trim is problematic

Smoothy
05-02-2013, 11:47 PM
I'm using CarPro PERL on my exterior plastic trim and tires. The recommended dilution is 1:3 for trim. I apply it with an applicator pad, then buff with a MF towel.

For the textured plastic surfaces, it works great. It bonds well and leaves a nice uniform sheen.

But for the smooth plastic surfaces between my door windows, it's blotchy and looks worse than before I applied it. I read in another forum a suggestion to deal with smooth surfaces. They recommend to use it straight with no dilution, as the increased concentration would result in better bonding to the smooth surface. This sounds like it might work, has anyone tried this or have a better idea?

Shane731
05-03-2013, 01:43 AM
Hard to be sure without pictures, but depending on the type of plastic, you might try Meguiar's Ultimate Compound or M105 with a microfiber applicator, then seal it with something like Collinite 845 or Klasse AIO.

50/50 of side trim after Ultimate Compound and Klasse AIO
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/../gallery/data/500/medium/P8290410.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/21886/size/big/cat//ppuser/24886)

50/50 of trim. Guess which side I used M105 on?
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/../gallery/data/500/medium/P2270100.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/../gallery/showphoto.php/photo/17025/size/big/cat//ppuser/24886)

DJBAILEY
05-03-2013, 04:05 AM
Use whatever wax or sealant you used on the paint to put on the smooth plastic. Save the PERL for tires and textured plastic.

davidc
05-03-2013, 06:22 AM
Had the same exact problem with Dlux only I had to use rubbing compound to remove what stuck. Went back to using DG 501.

Dave

zm1283
05-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Sometimes that isn't plastic but a film instead. On my Tundra they put a film between the front and back doors that has an adhesive on it to stick to the paint. No idea if that is true on this car, just a thought.

Smoothy
05-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Use whatever wax or sealant you used on the paint to put on the smooth plastic. Save the PERL for tires and textured plastic.Ah, I should have thought of that. I will post back and let everyone know the results. Thanks!

PiPUK
05-03-2013, 01:47 PM
PERL is a water based product and has limitations as a result. Think of it a bit like spraying water onto a waxed surface - it doesn't spread out nicely, it forms drops. In effect, this same thing is happening here. Now PERL does contain surfactants to counter this (otherwise the silicones would separate out into a layer, instead of retaining a nice, uniform, emulsion) but this can go only so far. In theory it would be possible for a chemist to 'fix' this short coming with something a bit more advanced but it is not something a home user will be able to do. Best approach will be to use it neat when it has more viscosity, something which might overcome the problem. Alternatively, other water based products may use better wetting agents and thus not give the problem or you just go for a solvent product.

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2013, 02:12 PM
I'd like to thank Mr. Megane for being a part of this forum and giving us not only a chemist or ChemE perspective, but that of someone who actually works with automotive products.

Just don't do anything to get yourself banned :p

cardaddy
05-03-2013, 03:57 PM
I'd like to thank Mr. Megane for being a part of this forum and giving us not only a chemist or ChemE perspective, but that of someone who actually works with automotive products.

Here here! :applause:

I'd second the idea with some of those panels being nothing more than a 'wrap'. Especially as some of ours are like that. That being said, I'd not compound it. Maybe a fine polish then top it with sealant or wax.

As for a trim type product. I agree PERL doesn't wanna' work there. And I'm a HUGE fan of PERL!!!!!! :D I've tried 303 as well, which imho is on equal footing with PERL in my "I just love it" category. WG Vinyl & Rubber is pretty good there if you dry it and go back to buff it a few times, a-n-d it's a place that the Griot's Vinyl & Rubber Dressing may be of use. (I find the Griot's a hit-or-miss deal more so than any others I have though.) :dunno:

PiPUK
05-04-2013, 05:15 AM

Thanks! I figure as long as I don't go pushing anything not in the AG shop, there should not be a problem! Maybe someday Mike will have one or two products we make and then I'll push my luck! Im the MAN

RMM
05-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks! I figure as long as I don't go pushing anything not in the AG shop, there should not be a problem! Maybe someday Mike will have one or two products we make and then I'll push my luck! Im the MAN

I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you the chemist "behind" Orchard products?

Smoothy
05-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Use whatever wax or sealant you used on the paint to put on the smooth plastic. Save the PERL for tires and textured plastic.

Ah, I should have thought of that. I will post back and let everyone know the results. Thanks!Follow-up: I cleaned the smooth plastic with a plastic cleaner and then waxed it with Collinite 845. Looks great!

Unfortunately, after opening & closing the door there are fingerprints left behind as this is a part of the door that often gets touched. Fingerprints and pollen are still the unsolved challenges.