PDA

View Full Version : Vacuums?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

akj
05-02-2013, 11:19 PM
My vac went out has to get one on the spot today. The one i had was a shop vac 2.5hp with I think a 1 1/2" hose and a 5 gal tank. I knew i needed more power so at hd I found one under $100 does were 5hp 12 gal and a 2in hose.

What I'm wanting to know is how does the size of the hose affect the suction? And or performance?
I know i needed more hp. And I'm pretty sure that means more suction but would a smaller hose mean a strong suction and a larger one just mean more suction at once?
Also length? How does that factor in?

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

Bates Detailing
05-02-2013, 11:27 PM
I love the Rigid vacs man - we have the small 5.0 ?hp? one for $80 I think - awesome vac for our needs. We also have the big boy Rigid with the leaf blower attached on top with the bigger hose. Today I noticed the big Rigid removed pet hair with no issues! With that said, I bought an adapter to fit the smaller hose fittings which made it squeal loud as could be, but it allows us to use the proper crevice tools for our needs! I believe it is a 6.5 - not sure..... worth the extra $50 or so more IMO.

akj
05-02-2013, 11:39 PM
The 5hp one i have was also about $80

bigbadbp7
05-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Just bought one tonight from Home Depot for 39.89 also added the "Auto detailing" Kit so that was another 39.99. It has 5hp that model is wd40500 Ill use it tomorrow and update!

sweatthedetails
05-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Metro vac and Blo, I had the 5 hp rigid before and thought it was great till I got the metro. Hp don't mean squat when talking vacs, it's all about water lift. The rigid was 50' the metro is 95'. Huge difference. Spend the money, your time saving will more then pay for it. The attachments are awesome but buy the extra one that has the revolving brush, picks up hair like you wouldn't believe.

Pureshine
05-03-2013, 12:19 AM
This it what I use and works great.
RIDGID 4-Gal. Wet/Dry Vac-WD4070 at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-4-Gal-Wet-Dry-Vac-WD4070/202077241#.UYNIz-AkfZc)

akj
05-03-2013, 12:41 AM
So t the question i still have is about the size of the hose and how it affects or changes the way it preforms

Pureshine
05-03-2013, 12:46 AM
So t the question i still have is about the size of the hose and how it affects or changes the way it preforms

I love the one I have its small but has plenty of power and Hve never had a problem with it.

Theo_Auto_Fines
05-03-2013, 12:47 AM
For $29.99 this vac Husky 4-Gal. 3 HP Stainless Steel Wet/Dry Vacuum-VO407S 2602 at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-Gal-3-HP-Stainless-Steel-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-VO407S-2602/203390819) has served me well, so good that I had to buy three of them.

Evan.J
05-03-2013, 05:07 AM
I have this little bad boy and it does a great job. 4 gallon 5 hp
Product Page - Image (http://m.sears.com/productGallery.do)

Mazda.Mark
05-03-2013, 07:12 AM
I don't think the size of the hose matters.

But, it does matter when buying the adapter for the crevice tools. I use my 9 gallon 5 hp shop-vac for floors and seats since it has a 2 inch hose.

My 1 gallon shop-vac is easier to maneuver with the crevice tool adapter on a 1.5 inch hose.

vet
05-03-2013, 08:19 AM
My opinion on hose size is, the bigger the hose, the less clogging. Shop vacs are usually designed for picking up debris on shop floors, and clogging with screws, wood chips, etc. is less with a bigger hose.

It stands to reason the length of the hose would have an effect on the suction, but, if the hose is the one that came with the vac, it should perform. I think the nozzle you use is as important as the hose size.

I have a 5 hp Sears shop vac, a hand held Hoover I got at a garage sale, and a 2.5 hp Shop vac. They all work well for the job they are intended to do. If I was a pro, I would spend the money to get the vac designed for the purpose.

poweraid
05-03-2013, 08:32 AM
I have the same one as pureshine
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/03/redutape.jpg
also got the premium auto kit . comes with a way better hose and longer . crevice tool , claw nozzle - kinda cheap , and some triangle brush .

jwgreen6
05-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Most vacuum HP ratings are misleading. They say "peak HP" instead of average (or RMS) HP which is where most motors operate.

On a 120v 20a circuit you will have 2400 watts available, which is typically found in most homes in the US. 1 HP is about 745 watts which limits us to 3.2 HP available at the wall outlet. The math is 2400 watts at the outlet divided by 745 watts in 1 HP = 3.2 HP. A 15 amp circuit will have only 1800 watts or 2.4 HP.

If you have a motor (vacuum, polisher, refrigerator, etc.) that lists more than 3.2 HP, that is a peak rating. If you see the lights in your house dim when the machine fires up, you're close to the limit of the power available. That's why some vacuums/blowers (like the Metro Air Force Master Blaster Car Dryer which pulls 19 amps but peak draw is almost 6000 watts!!) trip some breakers. The peak draw may not trip the breaker because it isn't fast enough to react to the "in-rush" current surge.

I prefer to use the lift rating when comparing vacuums. That appears to be more representative of the vacuum's overall efficiency.

Too bad vacuum manufacturers don't standardize the ratings.

richy
05-03-2013, 11:10 AM
I don't think the size of the hose matters.

OK....I'm taking the high road on that comment!!

As far as an amazing vac goes, that does both wet AND dry, I cannot recommend one higher than this unit that I did a review about a few years ago now. I have had this unit for 2 years now and love it as much as the day I got it. Very powerful, very quiet, very reasonable price. Read my review and compare the stats vs price on the Fein and others and you'll see why I recommended this unit so highly. Still do.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/35123-pf51-wet-dry-vac-review.html