PDA

View Full Version : Exhausted!

sweatthedetails
05-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Maybe there are worst problems to have but what do you do when your too busy! I detail part time and took the week off from my day job in a attempt to catch up some clients that have been waiting for appointments. I have turned off all my paid advertising and stopped posting in Craigslist but the calls keep coming. I'm now booked up for the next 3 weekends with a couple jobs squeezed into the week b4 work. I'm afraid I'm going to get burned out in a hurry if this keeps up. Should I raise my prices? I'm not the cheapest in town by far already. When I tell people how far I'm booked it doesn't seem to discourage them from adding their name to the calender.

Macomb Dents & Details: Car Detailing and Paintless Dent Removal (http://www.SweatTheDetails.Time2Detail.com)
www.Facebook.com/DentsAndDetails
I may be slow, but I do poor work.

Colinpd137
05-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Maybe its time for a career change? :)

sweatthedetails
05-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Love to, but I'm 10 years into a military retirement. Just 10 more to go :)

Bates Detailing
05-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Maybe there are worst problems to have but what do you do when your too busy! I detail part time and took the week off from my day job in a attempt to catch up some clients that have been waiting for appointments. I have turned off all my paid advertising and stopped posting in Craigslist but the calls keep coming. I'm now booked up for the next 3 weekends with a couple jobs squeezed into the week b4 work. I'm afraid I'm going to get burned out in a hurry if this keeps up. Should I raise my prices? I'm not the cheapest in town by far already. When I tell people how far I'm booked it doesn't seem to discourage them from adding their name to the calender.

Macomb Dents & Details: Car Detailing and Paintless Dent Removal (http://www.SweatTheDetails.Time2Detail.com)
www.Facebook.com/DentsAndDetails (http://www.Facebook.com/DentsAndDetails)

LOL - BEEN THERE! I started B & B when I was a full time student in college and a full time server at a restaurant - was always able to book jobs that worked with my schedules but it got overwhelming! Sooooooo, I stopped going to college :/ and left my job :/ I don't regret it now, but I can say that the last couple of years growing this business were TOUGH! If you can handle a slow week or even month and push it the days you have no physical work (working on website, getting organized, talking to potential clients, etc) then I say go full time. With that said - IT IS A HARD TOUGH ROAD! There is no room for cutting corners, no room for rest, and yes the poverty line will approach..... BUT - light is at the end of the tunnel! Work hard and endure the tough times and you can make it work man. Good luck bro!

Bates Detailing
05-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Maybe its time for a career change? :)

Love to, but I'm 10 years into a military retirement. Just 10 more to go :)

Well damn, wish I saw this before making my speech lmao! Thanks for serving man :dblthumb2:

sweatthedetails
05-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Thanks, I've been in business here for the last 3 years and this is where I'm getting a lot of business. Through word of mouth and repeat customers. I will be transferring next summer so I will basically be starting over in another market. I may look back fondly at this busy season.

www.SweatTheDetails.Time2Detail.com
www.Facebook.com/DentsAndDetails

Pureshine
05-03-2013, 01:39 AM
Yes thanks for serving :)

dwlinc23
05-03-2013, 03:19 AM
Damn, wish I was that busy!

Advanced Detailing
05-03-2013, 06:12 AM
Definitely keep serving your remaining 10 years.
As far as being exhausted, try going 7 days a week with almost nothing but paint correction, back breaking work.
Many years ago i gave up owning a dental lab and have never regretted it.
I turn away work on a weekly basis if it's work i don't feel like doing or cars i don't feel like working on.

jsgntulok
05-03-2013, 07:58 AM
I retired from the Air Force in 1986. For now, you need to concentrate on your military career. When you retire in 10 more years you will not regret the decision and you will realize the military retirement benefits give you a lot of flexibility regarding your "second career." For now, it sounds to me like you are burning the candle at both ends and if you are not careful, you will fail at both. I understand your probable need to supplement your military income. However, if you are exhausted it is time to take a step back. Don't be afraid to say no to prospective customers. You need to emphasize quality in both your military duties and your detailing.

Finally, thanks for your service to our country.

RhetoricMixes
05-03-2013, 08:33 AM
I know how it feels man. I run my business part time as well and im booked for the 1.5 months. It gets stressful at time but I always see it as growing my own assets for the future. Focus on your main career now and then detailing second. The way I see it is id rather have to turn down people due to be being busy than get no calls at all :xyxthumbs:

sweatthedetails
05-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I defiantly need to take a step back. No kids but the wife is feeling neglected. I was setting this up as my career after but it seems to be moving a little faster then I planned. The last couple of weekends I've been knocking out 2 details a day. Had to bring in a couple of helpers. It's good money but the 10 hour days are rough. Then turn around and go right back to work on Monday.

rustytruck
05-03-2013, 06:52 PM
It's May and Spring is in the air. We are all in the same boat as you. I pick the calls that sound the most interesting (easiest and most profitable) and tell the others things slow down a little in August.

af90
05-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I defiantly need to take a step back. No kids but the wife is feeling neglected. I was setting this up as my career after but it seems to be moving a little faster then I planned. The last couple of weekends I've been knocking out 2 details a day. Had to bring in a couple of helpers. It's good money but the 10 hour days are rough. Then turn around and go right back to work on Monday.

It can be a grind I'm thinking about starting detailing on the side, if I can handle it with work and school once I PCS this summer. I saw you're also in the military so I'll pass on a quote and that's if you look back on your career after 20 years and you're family's not there, you made a mistake. Thanks for your service though, hope you don't take it the wrong way, just trying to help out.

And OP that's awesome that you're business is growing just keep priorities in order and take time off when needed so you don't get burnt out. But you must be doing something right with a schedule like that!

ScubaCougr
05-03-2013, 08:05 PM
First, consider raising your prices.

Really, if your phone is ringing off the hook the demand is there. Is it ringing because you're the cheapest, only one in town, or best quality/reputation? Any answer, you can raise your prices a bit. You'll make the same or more, and have time for family as a few of the lower-end people go elsewhere.

Consider a part-time helper, but that only works if you can now do 2-3 jobs a day instead of 1. That would allow you to take 1 weekend a month off for family.

I am also primarily a weekend guy with a less interesting Govt. Job. I routinely tell people I'm booked 2-3 weeks out. They still wait. Your good customers will too.