PDA

View Full Version : Hate dropping your MF towels? I DO!

Johnnyboy
05-02-2013, 02:50 PM
I know I'm not a genius by any means and someone here probably has already done thiss but thought I should share anyways.

I hate dropping my MF towels....always happens. So the other day I was changing pads on my PC and the wind picked up one of my good MF towels and launched it across the table. Thankfully, it got stuck to the Velcro in the backing plate of the PC. After this, I did not hesitate to go by a few feet of Velcro material at the fabric store and have my grandmother sew a few strips on my detailing aprons........works like a charm! I have pockets on the aprons but even that doesn't always work.

No pictures but I'm sure everyone can understand what was done :xyxthumbs:

Fishincricket
05-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Genius idea, actually... Until it scratches the paint?!?

Pureshine
05-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Velcro will ruin the MF towel :(

cardaddy
05-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Great idea... as long is you just stick a 'thumb print' sized area of your towels to the Velcro. As Todd said, it'll ruin your towels. OTOH, having them drop in chopped up leaves and crap makes them useless for paint, so the Velcro may be lesser of the two evils. ;)

And I totally feel ya'.... I've had all of them blow off a vehicle, including big 530's and 660's along with the 350's. Just POOF and they were laying in the driveway!!! :( (My buddy "Mike" had some blow away when I was at his house and he ALMOST put them back on the paint of the Lexus I'd just buffed!) :rolleyes:

BobbyG
05-02-2013, 05:19 PM
HA, will you look at that! :props:

Necessity is the mother of invention! :props:

How do you think this will work on clay bars? :doh: :laughing:

When I clay I do so on the lawn just in case. I've dropped a bar or two in my time and the grass adds a nice cushion and doesn't leave debris behind.....like my garage floor.

Hazcat
05-02-2013, 06:31 PM
You could use a flat nosed alligator clip to clip it to your apron.
20mm Rectangle Alligator Pinch Clips with Teeth by monpetitsoleil (http://www.etsy.com/listing/99182586/20mm-rectangle-alligator-pinch-clips?ref=market)

runrun411
05-02-2013, 07:35 PM
I]My buddy "Mike" had some blow away when I was at his house and he ALMOST put them back on the paint of the Lexus I'd just buffed![/I]) :rolleyes:

Another funny Mike story. How's good ol' Mike doin' anyway?

WRXINXS
05-03-2013, 07:08 AM
I drop one and spend 20 minutes picking out every bit of junk that it picked up. I hate doing that. I sometimes consider just throwing them out because I almost feel like I will never get ever last bit out!

BillE
05-03-2013, 07:18 AM
I drop one and spend 20 minutes picking out every bit of junk that it picked up. I hate doing that. I sometimes consider just throwing them out because I almost feel like I will never get ever last bit out!

Try wrapping some masking tape around your, sticky side out and just pat-pat-pat. If they aren't clean enough, they can still used for 'non-critical' areas.

Bill

Johnnyboy
05-03-2013, 09:12 AM
I can see how the velcro would eventually damage the MF's but the strips I had put on were about .25" wide as I also thought about them getting messed up but so far so good! You don't need much of this stuff as the MF's stick to even the smallest piece of velcro like glue! Also, I have the strips sewn into the edges of the apron on the side towards the back of the apron so I don't run the risk of scratching the paint.

WRXINXS
05-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Try wrapping some masking tape around your, sticky side out and just pat-pat-pat. If they aren't clean enough, they can still used for 'non-critical' areas.

Bill

Good idea, I'll try that out next time:xyxthumbs:

ScubaCougr
05-03-2013, 08:14 PM

On some towels (and some types of debris), I find it easier to pick stuff out when wet (like between wash and rinse cycle). The wet-dry approach has worked wonders on my good Poorboys DMTs when bad luck strikes.