PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's Back to Black on White Paint

Pages : [1] 2

trylikeafool
05-02-2013, 02:27 PM
I've got a Hyundai Veloster with white paint. Unfortunately, there are several spots where Meguiar's Back to Black product got rubbed into the paint unintentionally. I've washed the car a few times, tried detailer spray + microfiber to get it off and nothing works. Anyone have a suggestion for getting this stuff off? It looks like black smudges around the black trim. Makes the paint look dirty.Thanks.

Theo_Auto_Fines
05-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Try using paint thinner..

trylikeafool
05-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Try using paint thinner..

Umm...wouldn't that eat into the car's paint?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Dont use paint thinner.

Start with something like APC or try and polish the area.

jimjc
05-02-2013, 02:55 PM
I would look for the least aggressive polish and hand apply, in a small area you will find if it gets removed or if you need to be more aggressive with a more aggressive polish or into a compound.

It may be best to go to a detailers shop or body shop where they can test a area to see what works.

RhetoricMixes
05-02-2013, 02:58 PM
I wouldnt polish unless needed. Just use a paint cleaner that doesnt have any abrasives in it, your cleaning up a little smear and clear coat shouldnt be removed for that.

forrest@mothers
05-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Just use a cleaner wax and you'll be fine.

Was it Mothers Back to Black or Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer? Our product is not black in color.

KillaCam
05-02-2013, 05:21 PM
For spots like these I always pull out Duragloss 501. It is awesome at cleaning up spots like that. I even used to it remove adhesive from a dealer sticker on my girlfriends jeep last week and it took it off effortlessly.

Hazcat
05-02-2013, 06:39 PM
I second the cleaner wax advice.

cardaddy
05-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Umm...wouldn't that eat into the car's paint?

As a quick wipe.... no, it'll do nothing to the paint. Thinner is for working with wet paint to dilute it for various spraying methods/techniques etc. Now CAN it damage paint... YES!

Start with a Dawn wipe down to strip it. Then tape off the plastic trim and try some hand work in the area. Maybe some hand polishing will be all it needs. ;)

trylikeafool
05-03-2013, 12:26 PM
Thanks guys. I'll try the various suggestions and see what works.

Johnnyboy
05-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Cleaner wax is your best bet IMO....good luck!

kimtyson
05-03-2013, 10:16 PM
I have a white Veloster, too. (Ignore my avatar. I haven't updated it, yet.) I love my V! Anyway, try Duragloss 501. Yes, it's marine\RV polish but don't let the name fool you. I have used it, along with a few other Duragloss products, on my V with excellent results. The Duragloss product line is a diamond in the rough.

Hazcat
05-04-2013, 04:16 PM
I have a white Veloster, too. (Ignore my avatar. I haven't updated it, yet.) I love my V! Anyway, try Duragloss 501. Yes, it's marineRV polish but don't let the name fool you. I have used it, along with a few other Duragloss products, on my V with excellent results. The Duragloss product line is a diamond in the rough.

I really like the Durgloss line but I wish they would use UV protectant in their products othewise they are quite impressive.

kimtyson
05-05-2013, 09:03 PM
I really like the Durgloss line but I wish they would use UV protectant in their products othewise they are quite impressive.

Check out this thread, http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/5000-how-does-duragloss-105-compare-these-sealants-2.html.
I am pretty sure all of the leading manufacturers have UV inhibitors, including Duragloss.