PDA

View Full Version : new black car, decided to learn this "detailing" stuff

srschick
05-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Just bought a 2009 LR3, Java Black. My first black ride.
Being previously used as a grocery getter/mall hopper, the previous owner probably took this thing through the automated washes, as shown by the amount of swirls in the paint.
I've always been pretty anal about upkeep on my cars, but a black paint job seems like it'll require a next level to this.

So I picked up a PC polisher and ordered quite a bit of product from the AG store, starting with a proper LC plate and pad set.
Always been a Meguiar's guy, so I'll stick with that system, although the Poor Boys Dark Paint Kit looks promising.

Anyway, looking forward to getting started on this project and the outcome. And learning from this pretty knowledgable community.

Thanks,
Steve

Evan.J
05-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Welcome to the forum Steve!

Coppertone
05-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Tips on how to detail Black Cars:

1. Sell black car
2. The End

Theo_Auto_Fines
05-02-2013, 02:33 PM

1. Sell black car
2. The End

:xyxthumbs: + 1 If you have a garage queen yes, but for a ddrvr I would not want a black car.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Welcome to AGO.

Congrats on the black Land Rover. You will learn how to propely maintain it here on the Geek.

srschick
05-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Welcome to AGO.

Congrats on the black Land Rover. You will learn how to propely maintain it here on the Geek.

hehe. maybe keep it clean and nice looking.
From what I've learned, "maintaining" a Land Rover is another subject altogether...

srschick
05-02-2013, 02:48 PM
The worst thing, about owning *any* car here in the midwest (St. Louis) is keeping the pollen off the... everything.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-02-2013, 02:55 PM
The worst thing, about owning *any* car here in the midwest (St. Louis) is keeping the pollen off the... everything.

I hear that. Its the same way down here in Vegas.

BTW, wherabouts are you in St Louis? My home town is Arnold. (Im military and currently reside in Vegas).

cardaddy
05-02-2013, 07:14 PM

1. Sell black car
2. The End

As Larry the Cable Guy says.... "Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!"

:xyxthumbs: + 1 If you have a garage queen yes, but for a ddrvr I would not want a black car.

:iagree: with :whs: :rolleyes:

Welcome to AGO.

:iagree::dblthumb2: And welcome to the addiction.... er, hobby.

Pollen, you boys don't know no stinkin' pollen. :laughing: Thank God ours has finally blew through. It'll go to 9200~9400 for a while then rain, storm, have tornados and the like then finally go down drastically almost overnight! :eek:

Steve; You might want to look at the Meg's MF Correction System. Between the MF pads, the D300 and D301 it not only does an excellent job, but makes it easier than foam pads. Once the pad is primed right, the products work together flawlessly. :props: The only caveat is you need to use a TON of air cleaning the pad. It's still easier to clean imho than messing with foam pad cleaning. :dunno: