PDA

View Full Version : Flex fail

Pages : [1] 2

Theo_Auto_Fines
05-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Seeing as the Flex 3401 VRG had a lot of good reviews I decided to purchase one and retire my other DA polishers. Last weekend after opening the box I decided to use this polisher on my customers car just to apply the wax. As I was working on the hood the backing plate decided that it wanted to fly away and left a pretty sizeable dent on the 2013 Lexus that I was working on. Sad to say that it left a $2400 damage that I had to pay out of pocket. Now as far as Quality Control whoever shipped it or manufactured it perhaps should have tested the machine before being shipped out.

Setec Astronomy
05-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Yikes! Guess all new Flex owners should be checking the Allen-head bolt that holds the backing plate on to make sure it's tight before using it for the first time.

mg6045
05-02-2013, 10:29 AM
wow, considering its a professional machine, you really should have gone through the backing plate fastener before using. You would think its just common knowledge to do so. Although its tough to really blame you for not doing so. FLEX should just ship the machine with the backing plate not installed to avoid stuff like this. yikes !!!

There is no doubt the first thing I do before installing a pad is actually either remove the backing plate and re-install (if the polisher is new) or tighten the fastener and give the machine a once over. Am I OCD or does everyone else do the same thing with a new tool ? If you just remove from the box, plug in and go to town, please post if so .. I think this is an interesting topic.

Klasse Act
05-02-2013, 10:34 AM
I've been using my GG 6' RO for over 2 yrs and never tightened anything but its a good idea due to this thread...O M G ......TWENTY FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS! This also ties into the thread about having insurance when detailing !

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-02-2013, 11:03 AM
First thing to do is check to make sure the washer is in place and the bolt is torqued to German specs. "Guut n tight".

Setec Astronomy
05-02-2013, 11:24 AM
First thing to do is check to make sure the washer is in place and the bolt is torqued to German specs. "Guut n tight".

How many newton-meters is that, and is that anything like "Hans-ing" it down??

Bunky
05-02-2013, 11:29 AM

Guut idea!

You never know if it was at the factory or someone opened the box later to do something with it unless it was still sealed.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-02-2013, 11:39 AM
While it is good procedure to check before using, I'd put this completely on FLEX. It's like dealership selling a car before checking all the lugnuts.

Klasse Act
05-02-2013, 11:48 AM
While it is good procedure to check before using, I'd put this completely on FLEX. It's like dealership selling a car before checking all the lugnuts.

Agreed!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

02xtreme07SS
05-02-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm not sure I would blame this on Flex. There are warnings all over about reading the manual before use. According to page 15 of the manual:

Before using the machine, check that
the installed tools have been secured
according to the manufacturer’s
instructions.

Before using the polisher, check that the
polishing tools have been installed and
attached correctly. Switch on the
machine at no load for 30 seconds!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/Download/FLEX_XC3401VRGmanual.pdf

While unfortunate that it happened, they have pretty much covered this sort of mishap.

mwoolfso
05-02-2013, 12:27 PM
There is no doubt the first thing I do before installing a pad is actually either remove the backing plate and re-install (if the polisher is new) or tighten the fastener and give the machine a once over. Am I OCD or does everyone else do the same thing with a new tool ? If you just remove from the box, plug in and go to town, please post if so .. I think this is an interesting topic.

When I got my Flex I did just that to get some oil on the felt washer; also to get a glimpse of whatever was underneath. I figure if I am using it I might as well get a little intimate with it.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-02-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm not sure I would blame this on Flex. There are warnings all over about reading the manual before use. According to page 15 of the manual:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/Download/FLEX_XC3401VRGmanual.pdf

While unfortunate that it happened, they have pretty much covered this sort of mishap.
Whelp, with this included, Flex is completely off the hook.

neat e34
05-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Every power tool states to read the manual before using but seriously, does everyone do it for everything they buy?

I bought a new angle grinder the other day. I have been using one for years & not to sound arrogant but I know for a fact that reading the manual will teach me nothing, so I didn't read it.
I see the OP has previous experience with a DA so I can definitely see how this sort of thing happens...

Fair enough, Flex have possibly covered themselves against this but, to me at least, this is still poor quality control.
As someone else mentioned, if that is the case they should sell the item with the backing plate removed.

TroyScherer
05-03-2013, 05:22 AM
Who doesn't check to make sure their tools are in proper working order before using them?

Just because the backing plate is "attached" when it is shipped doesn't mean it's ready for use...

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Who doesn't check to make sure their tools are in proper working order before using them?

Just because the backing plate is "attached" when it is shipped doesn't mean it's ready for use...

+1.

Why is it that people are so quick to throw someone or something under the bus rather than just owning up to their own mistake???