PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

clarkgriswald
05-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Hi,

I have a new black Ram 1500 on order and was wondering what you guys would do. Do I get the paint protection from the dealer (don't even know if they offer it or what it is but I am sure they do) or do I get opticoat put on?

Thanks,
Clark

Jaretr1
05-02-2013, 10:15 AM
I would personally make sure the dealer does NOTHING to the truck. I would even ask them not to remove any of the protective plastic and or wash the truck before I got it! They need to do the functional PDI, but other than that, I would demand they do nothing else.

What you do once you get the truck is up to you. Opticoat is a great option if you want a coating.

jvs1991
05-02-2013, 10:19 AM
I would personally make sure the dealer does NOTHING to the truck. I would even ask them not to remove any of the protective plastic and or wash the truck before I got it! They need to do the functional PDI, but other than that, I would demand they do nothing else.

What you do once you get the truck is up to you. Opticoat is a great option if you want a coating.

Great advice here. Maybe you can ask the dealer to call you when the car is close by so you can get there when it arrives. If not as stated above do not let them wash it and even stress to them not taking plastic off. If they touch it your "new" car may not look so new anymore lol.

Anyway congrats on the new truck, enjoy it.

capnp72
05-02-2013, 10:30 AM
I would agree with the other replies and suggest you find a good detailer in your area to prep your new truck. Opticoat is something I would definitely want on a new vehicle.

RTexasF
05-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Opticoat is the only choice between it and having a dealer chimp screw it up with overpriced garbage.

Evan.J
05-02-2013, 11:57 AM
I agree with everyone else do not let the dealer do anything. If Opti-coat is what you want the then a detailer locally to clay the truck, use a finishing polish for any light swirls that may be on it then do an IPA wipe down or use Erase then seal it.

Thats all assuming you don't want to do it yourself.

clarkgriswald
05-03-2013, 10:54 AM
I agree with everyone else do not let the dealer do anything. If Opti-coat is what you want the then a detailer locally to clay the truck, use a finishing polish for any light swirls that may be on it then do an IPA wipe down or use Erase then seal it.

Thats all assuming you don't want to do it yourself.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I don't know if I could do the opticoat myself. It seems like it would be hard to do for a noob to do

Evan.J
05-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I don't know if I could do the opticoat myself. It seems like it would be hard to do for a noob to do

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3UwcGhrfqk&feature=player_embedded]OptiCoatApp.AVI - YouTube[/video]

clarkgriswald
05-03-2013, 12:13 PM
OptiCoatApp.AVI - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3UwcGhrfqk&feature=player_embedded)

Thanks for posting the video. Doesn't look to bad to put on but what if you get high spots is it easy to correct? Is the opticoat easy to work with down the road, like putting a wax over it months later. Once the opticoat s on typically how long does it last.

BlackHawk
05-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Thanks for posting the video. Doesn't look to bad to put on but what if you get high spots is it easy to correct? Is the opticoat easy to work with down the road, like putting a wax over it months later. Once the opticoat s on typically how long does it last.

You dont want to put wax over it, its pointless. It should last you a good 2+ years at minimum, if you take care of it well

kimtyson
05-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Yeah, don't waste your money by handing to the dealer to do nothing, really. Opticoat, or a number of other great coatings, are not that hard to apply yourself. You will do a much better job on YOUR vehicle than the dealer would. Congrats, by the way.

BillE
05-04-2013, 07:10 AM
Tell them, NO DEALER STICKERS or the like!

Bill

rwright
05-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Where are you located? Maybe there is a reputable Detailer close by

clarkgriswald
05-05-2013, 04:46 AM
Where are you located? Maybe there is a reputable Detailer close by

I live near Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The only place that I could find that does opticoat is in Madison, unless someone knows a place closer.

Thanks for all your feedback guys. :xyxthumbs: