PDA

View Full Version : The downfalls of carnuba

Trevor02TA
05-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Can someone give me some negatives on using a carnuba as a LSP. I heard it doesn't last very long. What else?

thebamboo23
05-01-2013, 09:35 PM
i dont think its much as a negative as its to what you want for the car

dorkiedoode
05-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Downsides to using carnauba might be:

Little to no UV protection
No buffer against swirls
No long-term protection
Can only be layered with marginal benefits
Dust Magnet
Low melting point
Most are much more difficult to work with
Low reflectivity
All contain high solvents

Don't let that stop you though. also not all wax react the same. that's just a run down from what i gather from other members.

MarkD51
05-01-2013, 09:45 PM
A Carnauba Paste such as Collinite 476 Super Doublecoat may very well last just as long as top tier sealants under the exact same conditions, such as Menzerna Powerlock, Zaino, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, Klasse, Duragloss.

Where all of them I believe can fall short, is what these products will be subject to? Acids-Alkalies, Chemicals, Bird Bombs, Abrasions, and of course eventually, UV degradation can and will harm these coatings mentioned above. None IMO are perfect. Is anything?

Some of the new fangled nano coatings Exo, OptiGuard, CQuartz, and the like are somewhat different in their nature, and composition. And in some respects, their protection.

Bates Detailing
05-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Attraction of Pollen! Annoying as hell!

ScottB
05-01-2013, 09:59 PM
It is less durable, but most will offer it looks delicious and wetter than most sealants

Vegas Transplant
05-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Rain forest depletion.

AeroCleanse
05-02-2013, 12:32 AM
Doesn't last very long, unless you want to spend $1500 on some Swissvax Crystal Rock.

maximus20895
05-02-2013, 01:26 AM
Attraction of Pollen! Annoying as hell!

You're telling me, I'm in Knoxville.

silverfox
05-02-2013, 04:10 AM
Dust magnet. For me I don't care how good it looks...if after five minutes the car looks like I parked it next to a street sweeper, forget about it.

I only use it for car shows. Period.

Lost Highway
05-02-2013, 05:39 AM
Some waxes, the hybrids especially, can last four to six months which is as good or better than polymer sealants.
Waxes can provide a deep, wet look that no sealant can match (although the new organic-inorganic hybrids maybe be challenging that).
They don't offer much protection against swirls but neither do polymer sealants.
On the downside they do tend to attract dust, especially in the first week after application but here's a tip: it washes off.

The advantage of polymer sealants is speed and ease of application.

KBsToy
05-02-2013, 06:40 AM
Some waxes, the hybrids especially, can last four to six months which is as good or better than polymer sealants.
Waxes can provide a deep, wet look that no sealant can match (although the new organic-inorganic hybrids maybe be challenging that).
They don't offer much protection against swirls but neither do polymer sealants.
On the downside they do tend to attract dust, especially in the first week after application but here's a tip: it washes off.

The advantage of polymer sealants is speed and ease of application.

:whs:

VP Mark
05-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Threads like this make me think:

Why don't more people Optimum Opti-Seal? It lasts just as long as most high end sealants, and you literally wipe on, walk away. Very underrated product.

Klasse Act
05-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Great info in this thread!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online