PDA

View Full Version : Scratches,need help!

Jeepster19
05-01-2013, 07:57 PM
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss179/jeepster19/2ff5c4ecbf719092b467ee54afaaa59f.jpgI have a series of scratches on my RH fender on my mustang.I used M105 with a LC hybrid orange pad with a PC7424xp.The results on the entire fender except the scratches are excellent.They have lightened up somewhat,but is it possible to get them out completely?I thought about some wet sanding but don't have a clue on what grit to use.I don't want to do more harm than good.If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

AutowerxDetailing
05-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Can you catch them with your fingernail? If so... they may be too deep to completely remove.

Andr3wilson
05-01-2013, 08:00 PM
How deep are they?

If you can catch your finger on them you need to fill and sand with touch up paint.

If you cannot catch your finger on them, get a more aggressive pad. The Orange hydro pads are quite gentle. Get an orange or a yellow cutting pad.

Jeepster19
05-01-2013, 08:21 PM
The scratches can't be caught by a fingernail.They look worse than what the really are because of the close up picture.

Kevin Cullen
05-01-2013, 08:46 PM
As others have started, and since you cannot catch the scratch with your nail, you may have to up one on your pad agressiveness. Or go over it a few more times with the pad you have now and slowly work them out.

Jeepster19
05-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Which pad is the most aggressive?I have the LC hybrids,I used the orange.Is there a brand that you recommend for scratch removal that is more aggressive than what I have used?I am using a PC7424xp.

AutowerxDetailing
05-01-2013, 09:46 PM
LC CCS Yellow or Meg's MF Cutting Discs with some M105 should to the trick. Just don't go chasing those scratches all the way through your clear. Some things you just have to unfortunately live with on a DD. :xyxthumbs:

Bates Detailing
05-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Start with some 2000 grit sand paper and wetsand it by hand with medium pressure - then top it off with 3000. I personally do not feel comfortable going heavier than this without knowing the history of the clear and how it has been treated..... With that said, 2000 to 3000 and then remove through polishing will get out some deep scratches. If that is a bit uncomfortable for you, get some 3m Super Duty - thoroughly rub at med to light pressure over scratches, then remove fines scratches with a heavy cut compound and work your way back to the light! Hope this helps man!

cardaddy
05-01-2013, 11:55 PM
Yup, just get a more aggressive pad and it'll make it better. I like to work with a 4" pad on small areas as well.

OTOH should you think about wet sanding, either don't or stomp on your foot and tell yourself you know better. ;)

Seriously... if you really just HAD to do it, then you better stick to really fine paper, 2000 grit or better and a LOT of water. Thing is it'll cut the clear to nothing before you know it. Might look up "feathering" and get an idea of one approach.

Another would be a Unigrit (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-unigrit-sanding-block.html) block. I've been using one of mine for decades! They really will last forever. Plenty of water, and you can use the edge, or one side and I find it's more controllable that paper, and takes off less clear.

Jeepster19
05-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Thanks for all the input,you guys are great.I'll go with a more aggressive pad to start,if that doesn't work, I'll try the unigrit block from meguiars or 2000-3000 grit paper.I almost forgot to mention,I purchased the purple hybrid wool pad from Lake Country.Would that be a good option to use with some m105 to get the scratches out?I've never used a wool pad so I don't know what to expect it.Another thing,the car is a garage kept and only driven on perfect day's so I have all the time in the world to work on it.Thanks again for all the great responses!

Jeepster19
05-07-2013, 06:22 PM
LC CCS Yellow or Meg's MF Cutting Discs with some M105 should to the trick. Just don't go chasing those scratches all the way through your clear. Some things you just have to unfortunately live with on a DD. :xyxthumbs:

Update on the fender scratches.I took your advice and used a yellow LC CCS pad along with some Meg's 105.I did a 6 section pass first,then wiped.The scratches were almost gone!I went back over the scratches with another 6 section pass,completely gone!!!I then used Meg's 205 with a white CCS pad,the results were super!Here the finished product.Thanks for all your help. :)http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss179/jeepster19/f49383ac28ff0058f0910d610c83d051.jpg

AutowerxDetailing
05-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Update on the fender scratches.I took your advice and used a yellow LC CCS pad along with some Meg's 105.I did a 6 section pass first,then wiped.The scratches were almost gone!I went back over the scratches with another 6 section pass,completely gone!!!I then used Meg's 205 with a white CCS pad,the results were super!Here the finished product.Thanks for all your help. :)

That's awesome! The results look amazing!!! M105/205 is a sweet combo. :dblthumb2: